Google Voice Invites for .edu Email Address

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Z3RO

Google Voice Invites for .edu Email Address

Postby Z3RO » Fri May 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Apparently Google is guaranteeing a Google Voice invites to anybody with a .edu email address. I found out about this, and I thought I had to share this with my TLS buddies (even if I haven't been around in a month or so).

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/students.html

I'm not spamming, but I understand if mods want to delete this.

Renzo

Re: Google Voice Invites for .edu Email Address

Postby Renzo » Sat May 15, 2010 7:33 am

Google voice is the SHIT. Anyone who doesn't already have one needs to jump on this.

sayan

Postby sayan » Sat May 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Any easy way to show my GVoice number for outgoing calls?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun May 16, 2010 12:20 pm

sayan wrote:Any easy way to show my GVoice number for outgoing calls?

Yes. You can place outgoing calls through google voice, and it will call your phone, then connect the party you want to call.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:23 pm

What is google voice?

Experimental Section

Postby Experimental Section » Sun May 16, 2010 12:31 pm

merichard87 wrote:What is google voice?

It transcribes your voice mails and emails them to you. It also consists of a bunch of other features which really aren't that practical. Some people think it's the coolest thing ever. I'm still confused as to why I would ever need to forward a voice mail.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Sun May 16, 2010 12:33 pm

Experimental Section wrote:

It transcribes your voice mails and emails them to you. It also consists of a bunch of other features which really aren't that practical. Some people think it's the coolest thing ever. I'm still confused as to why I would ever need to forward a voice mail.

lol ok thanks. and where would you forward the voicemail to? and what is the point of the second phone number?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun May 16, 2010 12:45 pm

It gives you a phone number, which can be forwarded to any other phone number or numbers you want. You can have it try you simultaneously at home, on your cell, and at the office if you like. Or, it can try you different places at different times of day. Or you can set up all kind of rules, so that important calls will try you everywhere while numbers you don't want to take calls from go straight to voicemail. On top of that, it makes your voicemail accessible via the internet (or phone), and can email or SMS you transcripts of voicemails that people leave you.

Experimental Section

Postby Experimental Section » Sun May 16, 2010 12:47 pm

merichard87 wrote:

lol ok thanks. and where would you forward the voicemail to? and what is the point of the second phone number?
merichard87 wrote:

No idea. Why would someone need a voice mail transcribed and sent to him via text message? Like, seriously? Do people even listen to voice mails?

Here is the google website about it:

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm

Experimental Section wrote:? Do people even listen to voice mails?

No. That's why having an emailed transcript is useful.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Sun May 16, 2010 2:57 pm

The transcribed voicemails are very helpful, but they don't have a monopoly on that service. How many times have you received a rambling voicemail that is a pain to listen through? Here, you get a text or email, quickly pick out the info you need, and move on. Their transcription service merely gives you the highlights, though - it's not earth-shattering in accuracy. But I can always tell what's going on and not have to check my voicemails.

The ability to manage ALL of your numbers forevermore is good. You give out business cards with your google voice number, and then it doesn't matter what firm you switch to, when your firm moves offices, or if you go solo - they can always contact you anywhere you want them to. You merely change the number(s) that google voice is managing if you want to add a line.

Another cool feature. Let's say you receive a call on the office line, but you need to leave the office before the call is over. Dial a quick code, and the call transfers seamlessly to your cell (other caller has no idea), and you're out the door. There is also an option to record conversations, but it notifies the other party (dammit).

I've also enjoyed texting straight from a browser.

Google voice is not mind-blowing, but I don't know of another service that offers everything they do for free. It is how voice should be handled. Only drawback is that once Google brings SkyNet online, they will know everything you're saying. :(

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue May 18, 2010 11:10 am

Connelly wrote:
Google voice is not mind-blowing, but I don't know of another service that offers everything they do for free. It is how voice should be handled. Only drawback is that once Google brings SkyNet online, they will know everything you're saying. :(

I used to care about my privacy, but Google gives me too much cool stuff in exchange for violating it, so I don't care anymore. I still don't want the government all up in my business, but if they ever start giving me the level of service that Google does, they can violate my privacy too.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”