extra time on exams for disabilities

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
TheReignmaker
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby TheReignmaker » Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 pm

I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

In closing, what is the plan when you become a professional? Are clients going to pay you for the extra time you take in reviewing a contract when someone down the hall can do it just as well in half the time? Sure, our politically-correct academic system make accommodations. They make lots of them. Life doesn't.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm

TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

In closing, what is the plan when you become a professional? Are clients going to pay you for the extra time you take in reviewing a contract when someone down the hall can do it just as well in half the time? Sure, our politically-correct academic system make accommodations. They make lots of them. Life doesn't.

This has been discussed before. See pages 1-10. Therefore, firms, government agencies, and PI organizations are bound by the same law as schools. Also, conditions that necessitate extra time on exams do not necessarily necessitate extra time in the professional world.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 18, 2010 5:44 pm

TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".

User avatar
bceagles182
Posts: 615
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby bceagles182 » Tue May 18, 2010 5:48 pm

Matthies wrote:Yes take people with disabilities out of the grading curve.

This is a wonderful idea! Lets single out the disabled students who score higher than us so they don't affect MY grades. But wait, what if the disabled students score lower than ME, and my grade would have been better if they had been included in the curve, that's not fair to ME. How about this then, if the disabled people score higher than ME then they don't get counted in the curve, but if they score lower than ME then they do. See that works for everyone!

We still have a problem though, law school grading anonymity. So without telling the professor who the disabled students are we can just stamp "RETARD" on the tops of their exams so he can grade them separately from all the normal people.

Or maybe we should have a different curve, one for normal people and one for disabled people. They could have their own rank too, "I graduated 2/10 in the disabled students section of my school! Separate but equal, that's worked well in the past.

Of course there is one thing missing, since disabled people like URMS don't "deserve" to be in law school, we need to be able to pick them out easily. People in wheelchairs no problem, you can point him and know he's disabled, just like you can be sure in yourself that every minority in your school your school does not deserve to be there but for their URM status. So, of course, to be able to single out the disabled people more than just separating their grades (unless of course that hurts you, then its not fair to the "normals") we should require any disabled student to wear a yellow star, wait that's been done, how about a blue guy in a wheelchair sown on to all their clothes.

Of course this all make sense since we know for certain that every person with a disability who gets extra time scores better than a person without a disability, because obviously any person without a disability would naturally score higher with more time, so most people with disabilities must be just the same (well other than thier disablity, which of course, we are not considering since that doe snot actually hurt US, just THEM) and giving anyone a leg up (even if with a disability they are in some cases missing two legs) is patently unfair to those without any disability. The only problem with this is that it now removes the thing law students love to do more than anything else, speculate on all the reasons outside their control for why they personally did not end up at the top of the class, because it obviously has to be due to someone else getting unfair advantage. but luckily we have one tried and true scapegoat left that has never let us down, we can blame the Jews.


This whole thing is silly. What is the problem with students wanting the grading curve to only be taking into account those who took the exam under the same conditions they that did themselves? Isn't that the whole point of a curve?

1. Have professor create grading piles anonymously initially with all exams.
2. Give an administrator the exams; have them assign grades to the exams of those who received extra time based on what pile they were in and remove those exams from all piles.
3. Give professor back the exams. Have professor balance out piles using the remaining exams.
4. Give administrator back the remaining exams and assign grades accordingly.

I understand that the ABA mandates certain curves, but I doubt that there are enough people with learning disabilities in any one class to skew the curve that strongly in one direction. And even if the curve is slightly affected, I doubt that the ABA would have a problem with these small fluctuations coming as a result of learning disabilities.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby Matthies » Tue May 18, 2010 5:55 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
Matthies wrote:Yes take people with disabilities out of the grading curve.

This is a wonderful idea! Lets single out the disabled students who score higher than us so they don't affect MY grades. But wait, what if the disabled students score lower than ME, and my grade would have been better if they had been included in the curve, that's not fair to ME. How about this then, if the disabled people score higher than ME then they don't get counted in the curve, but if they score lower than ME then they do. See that works for everyone!

We still have a problem though, law school grading anonymity. So without telling the professor who the disabled students are we can just stamp "RETARD" on the tops of their exams so he can grade them separately from all the normal people.

Or maybe we should have a different curve, one for normal people and one for disabled people. They could have their own rank too, "I graduated 2/10 in the disabled students section of my school! Separate but equal, that's worked well in the past.

Of course there is one thing missing, since disabled people like URMS don't "deserve" to be in law school, we need to be able to pick them out easily. People in wheelchairs no problem, you can point him and know he's disabled, just like you can be sure in yourself that every minority in your school your school does not deserve to be there but for their URM status. So, of course, to be able to single out the disabled people more than just separating their grades (unless of course that hurts you, then its not fair to the "normals") we should require any disabled student to wear a yellow star, wait that's been done, how about a blue guy in a wheelchair sown on to all their clothes.

Of course this all make sense since we know for certain that every person with a disability who gets extra time scores better than a person without a disability, because obviously any person without a disability would naturally score higher with more time, so most people with disabilities must be just the same (well other than thier disablity, which of course, we are not considering since that doe snot actually hurt US, just THEM) and giving anyone a leg up (even if with a disability they are in some cases missing two legs) is patently unfair to those without any disability. The only problem with this is that it now removes the thing law students love to do more than anything else, speculate on all the reasons outside their control for why they personally did not end up at the top of the class, because it obviously has to be due to someone else getting unfair advantage. but luckily we have one tried and true scapegoat left that has never let us down, we can blame the Jews.


This whole thing is silly.


Thanks, gald you cuaght that!

User avatar
TheReignmaker
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby TheReignmaker » Tue May 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".


Sure, I'm making a judgement. And yes, I realize I'm simplifying a complex story to further my point. I'm just saying that if you habitually ask others to remove your obstacles, you're not doing yourself any favors. Do people need help sometimes? Of course. We all do. The victimization card is overplayed though and people that give into it aren't helping themselves.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby YCrevolution » Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm

..

User avatar
TheReignmaker
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby TheReignmaker » Tue May 18, 2010 6:03 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

In closing, what is the plan when you become a professional? Are clients going to pay you for the extra time you take in reviewing a contract when someone down the hall can do it just as well in half the time? Sure, our politically-correct academic system make accommodations. They make lots of them. Life doesn't.

This has been discussed before. See pages 1-10. Therefore, firms, government agencies, and PI organizations are bound by the same law as schools. Also, conditions that necessitate extra time on exams do not necessarily necessitate extra time in the professional world.


Ah, good points.

User avatar
Mr. Matlock
Posts: 1360
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue May 18, 2010 6:06 pm

TheReignmaker wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".


Sure, I'm making a judgement. And yes, I realize I'm simplifying a complex story to further my point. I'm just saying that if you habitually ask others to remove your obstacles, you're not doing yourself any favors. Do people need help sometimes? Of course. We all do. The victimization card is overplayed though and people that give into it aren't helping themselves.

If you think that story in anyway "furthers your point", if you want to be an attorney, you have bigger problems than your friend. All you've managed to do is make a generalization. Which, I might add is SPOT ON! My mom's a paraplegic. When I'm home visiting and she asks if I can get her a glass of water, I tell her to climb up on the counter and get her own fucking glass. The fucking excuses that bitch makes are mind numbing.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby Matthies » Tue May 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".


Sure, I'm making a judgement. And yes, I realize I'm simplifying a complex story to further my point. I'm just saying that if you habitually ask others to remove your obstacles, you're not doing yourself any favors. Do people need help sometimes? Of course. We all do. The victimization card is overplayed though and people that give into it aren't helping themselves.

If you think that story in anyway "furthers your point", if you want to be an attorney, you have bigger problems than your friend. All you've managed to do is make a generalization. Which, I might add is SPOT ON! My mom's a paraplegic. When I'm home visiting and she asks if I can get her a glass of water, I tell her to climb up on the counter and get her own fucking glass. The fucking excuses that bitch makes are mind numbing.


ROFLMAO I just spit soda all over my keybaord :D

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".


Sure, I'm making a judgement. And yes, I realize I'm simplifying a complex story to further my point. I'm just saying that if you habitually ask others to remove your obstacles, you're not doing yourself any favors. Do people need help sometimes? Of course. We all do. The victimization card is overplayed though and people that give into it aren't helping themselves.

If you think that story in anyway "furthers your point", if you want to be an attorney, you have bigger problems than your friend. All you've managed to do is make a generalization. Which, I might add is SPOT ON! My mom's a paraplegic. When I'm home visiting and she asks if I can get her a glass of water, I tell her to climb up on the counter and get her own fucking glass. The fucking excuses that bitch makes are mind numbing.

173.5

User avatar
TheReignmaker
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby TheReignmaker » Tue May 18, 2010 6:16 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:I've been diagnosed with ADD. I actually took medication for it while I was younger. Did it make a difference? I thought so. I felt more focused and calm in stressful situations. It's amazing the kind of stuff medications can do to you. A side-effect was I didn't get hungry. It never turned out detrimental to my health, but there's a negative side-note I guess. I don't take it anymore for the simple fact that I feel I can manage without it. Maturing probably helped.

This may have been brought up before, but I have a friend that has been diagnosed with the same thing and as a result she asked her community college to waive all her math classes. Her reason was that math gives her anxiety and she has "a condition" where she just can't deal with it without having a panic attack. I'm not sure what ultimately happened. All I know is that this individual currently struggles to keep a job and support herself in anything. Moral of the story: excuses are like masturbation, in the end you're only screwing yourself.

Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".


Sure, I'm making a judgement. And yes, I realize I'm simplifying a complex story to further my point. I'm just saying that if you habitually ask others to remove your obstacles, you're not doing yourself any favors. Do people need help sometimes? Of course. We all do. The victimization card is overplayed though and people that give into it aren't helping themselves.

If you think that story in anyway "furthers your point", if you want to be an attorney, you have bigger problems than your friend. All you've managed to do is make a generalization. Which, I might add is SPOT ON! My mom's a paraplegic. When I'm home visiting and she asks if I can get her a glass of water, I tell her to climb up on the counter and get her own fucking glass. The fucking excuses that bitch makes is mind numbing.


Being a paraplegic is a little different than being diagnosed ADD, don't you think? Wasn't that what we were discussing? Way to straw-man my argument.

2009 Prospective
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby 2009 Prospective » Tue May 18, 2010 6:20 pm

This thread has more than run its course at this point. How about we all just take everyone's positions for what they are and move on. 8)

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 18, 2010 6:21 pm

TheReignmaker wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:
TheReignmaker wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:Are you sure that's the moral to this......... story?? Especially considering the fact that you don't know how it turned out for her with the college and what bearing it has on her current state of affairs? Seriously dude, WTF?????

Oh, and at least with masturbation, there's a "happy ending".


Sure, I'm making a judgement. And yes, I realize I'm simplifying a complex story to further my point. I'm just saying that if you habitually ask others to remove your obstacles, you're not doing yourself any favors. Do people need help sometimes? Of course. We all do. The victimization card is overplayed though and people that give into it aren't helping themselves.

If you think that story in anyway "furthers your point", if you want to be an attorney, you have bigger problems than your friend. All you've managed to do is make a generalization. Which, I might add is SPOT ON! My mom's a paraplegic. When I'm home visiting and she asks if I can get her a glass of water, I tell her to climb up on the counter and get her own fucking glass. The fucking excuses that bitch makes is mind numbing.


Being a paraplegic is a little different than being diagnosed ADD, don't you think? Wasn't that what we were discussing? Way to straw-man my argument.

ADD is just everyone's favorite red herring. People prefer ranting against those over diagnosed disabilities to actually grappling with the perplexities of disability.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby Matthies » Tue May 18, 2010 6:22 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:This thread has more than run its course at this point. How about we all just take everyone's positions for what they are and move on. 8)


Stop oppressing me I have disability AND victim card to play!

fenway
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

Re: extra time on exams for disabilities

Postby fenway » Sat May 22, 2010 11:54 pm

lol




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], rsklnkv515 and 10 guests