Went Over Word Limit

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sanpiero

Re: Went Over Word Limit

Postby sanpiero » Wed May 12, 2010 1:39 pm

disco_barred wrote:I am the most useful poster in the history of the entire fucking internet:

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... word_.html

the professorial clusterfuck that follows that blog post is one of the most pathetic things i wish i'd never read

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:00 pm

sanpiero wrote:
disco_barred wrote:I am the most useful poster in the history of the entire fucking internet:

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblaw ... word_.html

the professorial clusterfuck that follows that blog post is one of the most pathetic things i wish i'd never read

lol.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Wed May 12, 2010 2:39 pm

A'nold wrote:
macattaq wrote:Dang. We use ExamSoft, and it just stops when you reach a question's character limit.

Yeah, so do we, although we had word limits instead of character the other day and it didn't stop and I had to continuously go to the word counter thing.

Ours counts spaces and punctuation. FOCL.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:42 pm

i know people who have blown word limits and gotten severely punished for it

i know people who have blatantly, obviously and admittedly blown word limits and not suffered any consequences

that's why it's important to establish with your professor before the exam what the punishments for blowing the word limits are. IMO if it's not written clearly (what does it take... 10 seconds?) on the exam what the parameters of the word limit are and how violations are going to be punished then it shouldn't be enforced

example: our crim law exam had page limits. he never specified how the pages were to be formatted and the exam had NO instructions on it (just said "page limit: 4 pages" after the prompts and had literally no other instructions but "staple this to your answer sheet"), single or double spaced, what point font, etc. all he said in class was: as long as it's legible. i took that to mean 10 point font single spaced would be fine. if i get punished for that, ill be upset.

others took that to mean 12-point font double spaced. im not sure why, but they did.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”