Law School Straight to B-school??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LglEgl86

Law School Straight to B-school??

Postby LglEgl86 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:45 pm

Hi!! I hope you all could maybe provide some insight for me . . .

So I'm two years through law school at a T100 law school--screwed up the LSAT by not prepping :(. Realized this year that practicing law really isn't what interests me, but I guess I hate quitting since I've already given it 2 years and I want to finish out the degree with a concentration in corporate M&A law. Through taking business and corporate law courses, I've realized that I'm actually far more interested in finance and business, and would like to ultimately work in PE. T20%, on law review, MCHS, RA, etc.

I'm thinking about applying to b-school next year (my 3rd year). Took the GMAT and scored in the T10 range so I think I'm set with the numbers. However, the only question I have, how much will top b-schools look at my work experience? I have a summer state supreme court clerkship, a 1 year federal district court clerkship, this coming summer I will be working in the USAO in NY, and next year I'm doing a securities law clinic. I know this is all legal-related work, but would b-school admissions still treat it as legit work experience? Is it enough work experience?

Any insight as to what my chances are? Any advice re: work experience? Thanks. :)

merichard87

Re: Law School Straight to B-school??

Postby merichard87 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Try posting on Ken's other site for business school. They may have more insight.

LglEgl86

Postby LglEgl86 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Posted the question there too, but since there aren't as many users, I figured that I'd cover my bases and try TLS since I've read a few similar topics/threads here. Thanks!

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Mon May 10, 2010 10:57 pm

I don't know if that counts as legit WE, but I do know that WE matters more than GMAT numbers for b-school admissions.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

You could see if you can do a joint JD/MBA, if your school will let you start late?

sixburgher

Postby sixburgher » Mon May 10, 2010 10:58 pm

I haven't applied to B-schools, but based on what I've heard and read work experience is big, and anything that looks like degree collecting can be a red flag. I think your best bet would be to get a year or 2 of legal work after graduating.

If you feel confident in your numbers, why not apply for a few of your top MBA programs next year and aggressively look for work as well?

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 pm

macattaq wrote:You could see if you can do a joint JD/MBA, if your school will let you start late?

Except that b-school probably wouldn't be worth attending. MBAs are even more useless than JDs, except those from the top schools.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”