precedents Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
maks25

New

precedents

Post by maks25 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm

Hi,

I am merely a 0L so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am looking for real estate law precedents. Is there an online database I could access somewhere? Where would I look for this type of info?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Re: precedents

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 10, 2010 10:53 pm

betasteve wrote:
maks25 wrote:Hi,

I am merely a 0L so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I am looking for real estate law precedents. Is there an online database I could access somewhere? Where would I look for this type of info?
Google Scholar.
Does google scholar even publish state court opinions?

maks25

New

Post by maks25 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
betasteve wrote:

Google Scholar.
Just checked, it does. Thanks!

Finding something relevant is harder than I thought though.

maks25

New

Post by maks25 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 pm

btw i found a great source http://www.findlaw.com/casecode/, google scholar was a little too disorganized. Thanks though

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Mon May 10, 2010 11:35 pm

maks25 wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
betasteve wrote:

Google Scholar.
Just checked, it does. Thanks!

Finding something relevant is harder than I thought though.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maks25

New

Post by maks25 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:05 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote: --ImageRemoved--
haha. Kinda funny but in the end the only "similar" case I found was on google scholar.

Someone I know just bought a rather expensive condo in a brand new building. After they moved in they discovered a clunking noise from the pipes (the sound resonating from a few floors above, due to the heating system). The building has been "trying" to fix the issue for the last 6 months now, but has failed.

For my own sheer curiosity I am trying to find similar cases but this is the closest one I found:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... 0000000004

How would you guys go about looking for previous judgments? I am doing a rather simplistic search of "condominium" +"noise"

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am

maks25 wrote:
haha. Kinda funny but in the end the only "similar" case I found was on google scholar.

Someone I know just bought a rather expensive condo in a brand new building. After they moved in they discovered a clunking noise from the pipes (the sound resonating from a few floors above, due to the heating system). The building has been "trying" to fix the issue for the last 6 months now, but has failed.

For my own sheer curiosity I am trying to find similar cases but this is the closest one I found:

How would you guys go about looking for previous judgments? I am doing a rather simplistic search of "condominium" +"noise"
The point was that you can't give legal advice because you're not a lawyer.

maks25

New

Post by maks25 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:43 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
maks25 wrote:

The point was that you can't give legal advice because you're not a lawyer.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Like I said, I'm just curious. Last time I checked this was a board for potential/current law students.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 11, 2010 1:02 am

betasteve wrote:
maks25 wrote:

Thanks for stating the obvious. Like I said, I'm just curious. Last time I checked this was a board for potential/current law students.
As a student that does research, my suggestion is to focus less on finding exact facts and instead finding parallel situations under the same legal doctrine.

As a law student, giving you advice on what legal doctrine may be applicable scares me too much re: practicing w/out a license, thus am of no help. Not to mention I am a freshly minted 1L and don't know shit.
^tcr but not snarky enough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”