Starting LS in the fall at GW Law. How to get a head start?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Starting LS in the fall at GW Law. How to get a head start?

Postby 270910 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Edit: Hi, my name is disco_barred. If I see the words "guarantee" in a post with class ranking, I will over-react and rant before reading the rest of the post. Feel free to use this fact to manipulate me.

Thanks!

~DB
Last edited by 270910 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm

betasteve wrote:I think stinger was trolling our 0L friend, but caught many of you in his trap.

Sad, because he trolled similarly in a different thread, you would expect him to be able to recognize it.

Postby 270910 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 pm

betasteve wrote:I think stinger was trolling our 0L friend, but caught many of you in his trap.

Oh.... oh.

Oh

Edited :oops:

(I literally saw the sentence I had quoted above, flew off the handle, and wrote my post before reading the rest :-/)
Last edited by 270910 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm

You must understand that some profs teach a skewed version of the law that bares very little relationship with American law, or anything you can learn out of a supplement. Certain supplements only work for certain professors and certain classes (i.e. if the supp is keyed to the particular case book you are using), and you will not know what will work until you begin the course.

I would only recommend that you read Planet Law School, Law School Confidential, and Getting to Maybe (though a better time to read G2M would be midway through your first semester, but I know you will feel pressure to read it sooner than that). Though understand that your strategy will ultimately differ greatly from anything recommended in these books.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon May 10, 2010 3:41 pm

I told you Disco and Leeroy would be in here :lol:

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon May 10, 2010 3:46 pm

I never indicated that I believed in guarantees. Would like to do light reading on LS materials though so even a troll could be useful here.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:49 pm

/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=117117
guaranteed top 10% of fashion sense in your class

Postby 270910 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:50 pm

GermX wrote:I never indicated that I believed in guarantees. Would like to do light reading on LS materials though so even a troll could be useful here.

Read law school confidential. Full stop. Disregard the specifics of its study strategies, they are not optimal. Read Scott Turrow's 1L. Full stop. Realize that while 1L isn't that bad, you WILL feel that bad during some moments. Prepare to meet the worst, most depraved parts of yourself. Full stop.

Beer, babes, beaches.

Skim getting to maybe, listen to LEEWS. The amount of doctrine covered in LEEWS is more than enough to give you a taste for law school, anything substantive beyond that isn't going to do you any favors.

That amount of work should seriously have you ready to schedule your time and be prepared as the semester starts throwing challenges out you. You won't be burnt out or ahead of your peers (nothing will get you there) but you will be ready to do well. You won't get taken by surprise.

/uncharacteristically helpful

ChewbaccaDefense

Postby ChewbaccaDefense » Mon May 10, 2010 3:53 pm

Always Credited wrote:
GermX wrote:But what about actual case briefs, etc..., any certain ones that would be useful reading as a 0L?

Reading isn't useful when you don't understand what you're reading :P

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm currently working on reading and skimming through GTM and I'll agree with the comments that a lot of it can go over your head if you have yet to start LS. (i.e. It frequently mentions U.C.C. without defining it. Had I not known law students previously who discussed U.C.C. with me in passing, I'd probably have to look this up to find out what it even means. I know nothing substantial about it, merely what it stands for.) I still think it's helpful as the ideas discussed in terms of how to approach prepping for an exam/studying are relevant regardless of the fact that you might not understand every legal reference. I think at this point as a 0L reading through the book while trying or expecting to understand everything that is discussed would be futile. I'm going through the book with the understanding that a lot of it might not make total sense to me right now and that that's okay. I definitely plan on reading it again in during 1L fall semester though.
Last edited by webbylu87 on Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
GermX wrote:But what about actual case briefs, etc..., any certain ones that would be useful reading as a 0L?

Reading isn't useful when you don't understand what you're reading :P

Ah yeah...back when Adam Sandler was actually funny.

Postby 270910 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:21 pm

webbylu87 wrote:I'm currently working on reading and skimming through GTM and I'll agree with the comments that a lot of it can go over your head if you have yet to start LS. (i.e. It frequently mentions U.C.C. without defining it. Had I not known law students previously who discussed U.C.C. with me in passing, I'd probably have to look this up to find out what it even means. I know nothing substantial about it, merely what it stands for.) I still think it's helpful as the ideas discussed in terms of how to approach prepping for an exam/studying are relevant regardless of the fact that you might not understand every legal reference. I think at this point as a 0L reading through the book while trying or expecting to understand everything that is discussed would be futile. I'm going through the book with the understanding that a lot of it might not make total sense to me right now and that that's okay. I definitely plan on reading it again in during 1L fall semester though.

You are smart. I wish you success and continued wisdom.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon May 10, 2010 4:23 pm

--ImageRemoved--

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:26 pm

disco_barred wrote:You are smart. I wish you success and continued wisdom.

Not sure why I bother trying to contribute to TLS at all really.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon May 10, 2010 4:27 pm

You all are really letting me down here. The OP is going to GW! Where the hell is the RETAKE advice?

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Mon May 10, 2010 4:32 pm

disco_barred wrote:
betasteve wrote:
Always Credited wrote:
GermX wrote:Good point, that was going to be my next question. Would it be that difficult to understand some actual 1L material without class instruction? Even the most basic of it?

Although you really annoy me so often, AND it could be hilarious to watch you ruin your chances of 1L success thereby increasing my own odds of 1L success at GW, I offer you this tip: don't try to teach yourself the law. I give you this information before Leeroy, Disco, and the rest of them enter this thread after their finals and rip you apart for posting this question.

0L prep should strictly follow the 3 B's:

-Beach
-Beer
-Babes (or Boys, however you swing)

Going in rested and happy >>>>> going in already tired of the law and thoroughly confused by it.

TITOCR

--ImageRemoved--

Per Matthies' post above, you better retake, disco.
Last edited by mikeytwoshoes on Mon May 10, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:33 pm

webbylu87 wrote:

?

You may have misread me; I'm usually a flaming asshole, but I meant that entirely sincerely. Your plan is credited. It suggests you have an idea of what will be a good use of your time and what won't. It's a good thing!

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:35 pm

disco_barred wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

?

You may have misread me; I'm usually a flaming asshole, but I meant that entirely sincerely. Your plan is credited. It suggests you have an idea of what will be a good use of your time and what won't. It's a good thing!

Sincere apologies. It's so hard to tell. I tend to think everyone is in default asshole mode on TLS.

Postby 270910 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:37 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

?

Sincere apologies. It's so hard to tell. I tend to think everyone is in default asshole mode on TLS.

:lol: Apologies right back at you. I'm snide enough that I shouldn't be surprised in the slightest when an uncharacteristic good heated post gets misconstrued *face palm*

To re-state unequivocally: skimming GTM with an understanding of why it won't 'sink in' pre-law school and planning to re-read it is brilliant. It's one of the best things you can do to prep for law school. It comes as close to giving you a 'leg up' on the competition as anything you could do the summer before LS.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Mon May 10, 2010 4:39 pm

ugh love fest in here..barf

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon May 10, 2010 4:42 pm

This is a good thread.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:43 pm

disco_barred wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:skimming GTM with an understanding of why it won't 'sink in' pre-law school and planning to re-read it is brilliant. It's one of the best things you can do to prep for law school. It comes as close to giving you a 'leg up' on the competition as anything you could do the summer before LS.

aw thanks man, you make me feel so smart!

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:43 pm

GermX wrote:This is a good thread.

Nice...coming from the dude who made it.

Just to clarify, I was fucking with you with the massive amount of reading I said to do.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Mon May 10, 2010 4:52 pm

tbo123123 wrote:This is all bogus advice. You cannot realistically prep for law school before law school starts without wasting a giant amount of time. You have to understand what the professor is looking for, what doctrinal areas they focus on, what the major cases are, and it has to be a 16 week effort.

You are going to DILUTE what you know going into a 3 hour exam if you fill your brain up with mush that the prof doesn't care for.

+1

We are seriously better off reading John Grisham novels.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon May 10, 2010 5:02 pm

Just to clarify, I was fucking with you with the massive amount of reading I said to do.

Duh. Doesn't diminish the quality of this thread. It's like seeing a majestic horse that happens to have a dirt fly on it--beautiful in every way, even with that fly buzzing around.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”