Northwestern 2013 Housing?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
michaellikesit
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 am

Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby michaellikesit » Mon May 10, 2010 10:48 am

I will be attending the law school in the fall and am hoping to get some more information about housing/apartments. I would prefer to live close to campus, and although I am not averse to having a roommate, I am a little fearful of getting someone nuttier than squirrel poo.

Anyone who attends the university who can help, or someone in the same position as me, I appreciate any input/feedback you have.

Thanks.

Michael

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby 09042014 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 am

You might have better luck asking in the Northwestern 2013 thread, or the NU 1L taking questions thread.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon May 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Not going to NU, but I live in Chicago (well, have been in the suburbs to be closer to work for the past year, but am moving back into the city in about 3 weeks) and will be attending DePaul, so if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. Can't really help on the actual NU housing, but could give you all kinds of info on the city, both housing related and fun times related haha.

gollymolly
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby gollymolly » Mon May 10, 2010 8:05 pm

.
Last edited by gollymolly on Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

luckyjd
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby luckyjd » Mon May 10, 2010 8:11 pm

I live in Onterie now and would highly recommend against it. Their leasing/management office have got to be the most unreliable thing ever. Try calling them and chances are you won't reach either until the 4th try. It's also way overpriced. McClurg is good if you can get in on their specials (e.g. 1 month free) and they will renew your lease at the pro-rated special rent, but I hear there's a waiting list or something right now. 420 E Ohio is nice if you can find a roommate, otherwise their 1br/studios can be a bit on the pricey end. The Streeter is sweet if you're willing to shell out the big bucks.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:18 pm

luckyjd wrote:I live in Onterie now and would highly recommend against it. Their leasing/management office have got to be the most unreliable thing ever. Try calling them and chances are you won't reach either until the 4th try. It's also way overpriced. McClurg is good if you can get in on their specials (e.g. 1 month free) and they will renew your lease at the pro-rated special rent, but I hear there's a waiting list or something right now. 420 E Ohio is nice if you can find a roommate, otherwise their 1br/studios can be a bit on the pricey end. The Streeter is sweet if you're willing to shell out the big bucks.


I actually used to live in The Streeter (this was just after I moved to Chicago...lived there til November of 2007). Really nice, and the doormen were the nicest people on earth, and great about keeping out riff-raff. However, we had a convertible studio for 1800 a month. Looking back, totally not worth the price we paid, it's just so exorbitant. I did get to go to sleep with a beautiful view of the Hancock building from the 48th floor though, and the Air and Water Show flight teams had their planes going right over our building. That was ridiculous.

michaellikesit
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby michaellikesit » Mon May 10, 2010 8:27 pm

gollymolly wrote:If you want to be really close to school, Streeter, Onterie, McClurg, 420 E. Ohio are common options. Otherwise, lakeview, lincoln park, gold coast are all more ... thriving ... neighborhoods than Streeterville that are still reasonably close. There are discussions of housing in my thread and Rayiner's thread in the discuss your law school folder.



Golly,

How do I find that "discuss your law school folder?"


Thanks to everyone for their thoughts/suggestions.

Any of you that will be in the Chi come Aug I'd love to meet for a drink.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:31 pm

michaellikesit wrote:
gollymolly wrote:If you want to be really close to school, Streeter, Onterie, McClurg, 420 E. Ohio are common options. Otherwise, lakeview, lincoln park, gold coast are all more ... thriving ... neighborhoods than Streeterville that are still reasonably close. There are discussions of housing in my thread and Rayiner's thread in the discuss your law school folder.



Golly,

How do I find that "discuss your law school folder?"


Thanks to everyone for their thoughts/suggestions.

Any of you that will be in the Chi come Aug I'd love to meet for a drink.


Absolutely! Let us know where you end up housing-wise!


Northwestern2013ES
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby Northwestern2013ES » Mon May 10, 2010 8:51 pm

michaellikesit wrote:
Any of you that will be in the Chi come Aug I'd love to meet for a drink.


I'm attending Northwestern in the fall so I'll be around! I'm moving from one of the coasts and don't know anyone in Chicago, so I would definitely be up for meeting other incoming students before orientation.

michaellikesit
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby michaellikesit » Tue May 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Great. Give me a call when you get out there. 908.432.1590

Michael

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:04 pm

michaellikesit wrote:Great. Give me a call when you get out there. 908.432.1590

Michael


I spy a 908 area code. You a Jersey boy? I'm from NJ...Wall Township, what what?! haha

Northwestern2013ES
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby Northwestern2013ES » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
michaellikesit wrote:Great. Give me a call when you get out there. 908.432.1590

Michael


I spy a 908 area code. You a Jersey boy? I'm from NJ...Wall Township, what what?! haha


908ers are taking over Northwestern this fall!

michaellikesit
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby michaellikesit » Tue May 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Northwestern2013ES wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
michaellikesit wrote:Great. Give me a call when you get out there. 908.432.1590

Michael


I spy a 908 area code. You a Jersey boy? I'm from NJ...Wall Township, what what?! haha


908ers are taking over Northwestern this fall!


NJ represents strong. I can't wait.

I am currently living in Barnegat Light before leaving for the Chi.

How about a pre-union on the beach?

User avatar
animalcrkrs
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby animalcrkrs » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 pm

I'm moving out of 445 E. Ohio (Lake Shore Plaza) sometime early-ish August, so if anyone is interested in taking advantage of moving in mid-month and finishing out a lease that ends at the end of August let me know. I really like my apartment (good-sized convertible with a massive closet and kitchen for a steal at around $1100--and much better soundproofing than McClurg IMO) but I am moving to be in a place that allows dogs :)

If you have the money I think Streeter/Streeter Place is great, but as someone else said, WAY WAY overpriced.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am

michaellikesit wrote:
Northwestern2013ES wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:
michaellikesit wrote:Great. Give me a call when you get out there. 908.432.1590

Michael


I spy a 908 area code. You a Jersey boy? I'm from NJ...Wall Township, what what?! haha


908ers are taking over Northwestern this fall!


NJ represents strong. I can't wait.

I am currently living in Barnegat Light before leaving for the Chi.

How about a pre-union on the beach?


Already in Chicago! But I'd be game for a pre-union at North Beach here! :lol:

User avatar
enygma
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Re: Northwestern 2013 Housing?

Postby enygma » Wed May 12, 2010 5:14 pm

my place is way nicer than animalcrkrs'. one bedroom right next to the lake on michigan ave/LSD. 1 bedroom, private balcony. $1400. also, same as the one posted in the 2013 thread.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: monceau, woodselle and 11 guests