Write-On Support Group Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Write-On Support Group

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Anyone else out there going through their school's write-on competition right about, oh... now? Feel free to discuss it. Also just curious... how long is your school's competition? I find that they seem to vary in length a little bit.

I would welcome thoughts in particular from 2Ls and 3Ls who wrote-on (rather than graded-on) because you presumably had to go beyond a "good faith effort" to get on. But as always, thoughts from anyone are appreciated :) 2Ls and 3Ls who are reviewing their school's competition... is there anything in particular that you like to see? Any general advice?

Gold

Re: Write-On Support Group

Post by 270910 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:19 pm

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat May 08, 2010 4:21 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:Anyone else out there going through their school's write-on competition right about, oh... now? Feel free to discuss it. Also just curious... how long is your school's competition? I find that they seem to vary in length a little bit.

I would welcome thoughts in particular from 2Ls and 3Ls who wrote-on (rather than graded-on) because you presumably had to go beyond a "good faith effort" to get on. But as always, thoughts from anyone are appreciated :) 2Ls and 3Ls who are reviewing their school's competition... is there anything in particular that you like to see? Any general advice?

Good luck! Four days for us, but not until the very end of May. May you grade on and not have to worry about it!

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:28 pm

As a 1L who went through the write-on process over Spring Break, best of luck to you all.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Sat May 08, 2010 4:32 pm

We get 6 weeks for write-on, last day of finals (next week) the write on packet gets released. We get grades in 4 weeks so in theory if you were to make top 10% you wouldn't have to do all the work. I've heard it takes like 2 weeks but I know a guy who made it and only took 3 days. Ours is half blue-booking corrections and half writing piece I think.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 5:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote: Good luck! Four days for us, but not until the very end of May. May you grade on and not have to worry about it!
Thanks OS! This is the final stretch of the glorious 1L year, haha.

arhmcpo wrote:We get 6 weeks for write-on, last day of finals (next week) the write on packet gets released. We get grades in 4 weeks so in theory if you were to make top 10% you wouldn't have to do all the work. I've heard it takes like 2 weeks but I know a guy who made it and only took 3 days. Ours is half blue-booking corrections and half writing piece I think.
Holy crap... six weeks?!! I thought ours was longer than the average school out there (being 7 to 10 days), but that is legendary. Yeah, at my school, we must write on before we know our grades. But even if you were #1 overall, they would not let you onto law review at all unless you did the write-on competition. In fact, every 2 or 3 years, someone in the top 10% doesn't make law review since the committee deems their effort as not "good faith" enough.

edited for spelling :o
Last edited by You Gotta Have Faith on Sat May 08, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Sat May 08, 2010 6:57 pm

six weeks? Ours is six days and apparently you need them all (5 hour energy time).

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat May 08, 2010 10:04 pm

Wait, you guys make law review just for a good faith effort, + being in the top 10%? It's top 28 students in a class of 480 for us. :( Keep dreaming, right?

<3 Good luck to you.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 08, 2010 10:09 pm

I'm loll'ing at the 1-page silly court opinions written by bored judges on meritless appeals

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Sat May 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I'm loll'ing at the 1-page silly court opinions written by bored judges on meritless appeals
As part of your writing competition, I assume? Or are you reading them for fun? If the latter, [strike]you are a loser[/strike] check out this website: --LinkRemoved--

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Sun May 09, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 10:39 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Wait, you guys make law review just for a good faith effort, + being in the top 10%? It's top 28 students in a class of 480 for us. :( Keep dreaming, right?

<3 Good luck to you.
I didn't realize Fordham's class was that big, and that the review was such a small percentage of the class. But in any case, it IS possible! Sure, perhaps rather difficult, but you might as well go for it. :D

I don't know the exact number they take for us. But it has to be more than 10%. It's a marathon that has only begun... I won't be done til next week :?

Llewellyn

New

Post by Llewellyn » Sat May 08, 2010 10:42 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I don't know the exact number they take for us. But it has to be more than 10%. It's a marathon that has only begun... I won't be done til next week :?
40-ish %, I counted the number of people on the Mastheads because I'm a loser.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat May 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Llewellyn wrote:
You Gotta Have Faith wrote:I don't know the exact number they take for us. But it has to be more than 10%. It's a marathon that has only begun... I won't be done til next week :?
Surely that has to be including all of the possible journals. Not just law review, right?

Llewellyn

New

Post by Llewellyn » Sat May 08, 2010 10:56 pm

You Gotta Have Faith wrote:
Llewellyn wrote:
Surely that has to be including all of the possible journals. Not just law review, right?
Well then its like 14% :|

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Sat May 08, 2010 10:58 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Wait, you guys make law review just for a good faith effort, + being in the top 10%? It's top 28 students in a class of 480 for us. :( Keep dreaming, right?

<3 Good luck to you.
I didn't realize Fordham's class was that big, and that the review was such a small percentage of the class. But in any case, it IS possible! Sure, perhaps rather difficult, but you might as well go for it. :D

I don't know the exact number they take for us. But it has to be more than 10%. It's a marathon that has only begun... I won't be done til next week :?
Fordham's LR isn't that small. The top 28 students grade on and then they take another 28 or so through the writing comp.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Sat May 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Reading Volokh's Academic Legal Writing as we speak--can't wait for this competition to be over with.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun May 09, 2010 12:09 am

3 days here

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 09, 2010 12:51 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:

<3 Good luck to you.

Fordham's LR isn't that small. The top 28 students grade on and then they take another 28 or so through the writing comp.
Yes, that was my understanding, anyway. I assumed we were just talking about rank needed to grade on. I think they said it was 28 grade on and 31 write on spots.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue May 11, 2010 11:28 pm

i guess i'm dreading write-on less after reading this thread: ours is only 33 hours!! :D

mepg

New

Post by mepg » Wed May 12, 2010 12:19 am

sanpiero wrote:i guess i'm dreading write-on less after reading this thread: ours is only 33 hours!! :D
It's going to be quick and painful. Do you have a final tomorrow? It is going to hurt having a final tomorrow and then starting at 8 am on Thursday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 12, 2010 12:23 am

mepg wrote:
sanpiero wrote:i guess i'm dreading write-on less after reading this thread: ours is only 33 hours!! :D
It's going to be quick and painful. Do you have a final tomorrow? It is going to hurt having a final tomorrow and then starting at 8 am on Thursday.
Yes andd Yes! good luck! any idea what the format will be? didn't go to the info session :oops:

snowpeach06

Gold

Post by snowpeach06 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:38 am

I have a question about what exactly write-on is. I think a tour guide at American said that all you do is take 400 pages of reading and summarize it down to 10. That can't be true can it? That doesn't seem particularly difficult.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 am

Hey guys, 2L (who am I kidding, I'm an old ass 3L now since I finished finals last week) who made LR via write-on/grade evaluation.

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck. It was a year ago that I was chilling on my porch pouring over appellate decisions and bluebooking the crap out of my assignment.

If you want any advice, I suppose I would remind you to carefully follow the instructions like a soldier listens to his drill sergeant. Bluebook well by skimming the table of contents.

Your essay will be made by your introductory paragraphs, so ensure there are absolutely ZERO errors therein.

And snowpeach06, no, you don't summarize a bunch of reading at least at most schools; instead you read the decisions/articles and make a coherent argument while following the instructions. The tour guide sounds like a bitter bottom half of the class kid who flunked the write-on and is now unable to secure gainful legal employment.

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:35 am

We have three weeks, and it's a pretty long assignment. I'm not too happy, but I gotta do it anyways.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”