Can I hope for BigLaw as a psyc major??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
KeepitKind

Can I hope for BigLaw as a psyc major??

Postby KeepitKind » Wed May 05, 2010 12:17 pm

---

I am thrilled to be attending Michigan in the fall. I was wondering if I can take a shot at corporate law even though I do not have a business background as a psyc major? Will that hold me back in OCI's even if I take the proper coursework for a shot at BigLaw??

Please help, especially 2L/3L's.. thanks!

---

legalease9

Re: Can I hope for BigLaw as a psyc major??

Postby legalease9 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Doesn't matter in the slightest. Its all about the Law school grades (and of course law school quality). Corporate law is a legal career not a business one. You don't need business exp.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed May 05, 2010 12:43 pm

legalease9 wrote:Doesn't matter in the slightest. Its all about the Law school grades (and of course law school quality). Corporate law is a legal career not a business one. You don't need business exp.

This.
The only time undergrad major matters is when you are trying to work IP. Then you need a background in Hard Science, but other than that no one really cares what you majored in.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Wed May 05, 2010 12:49 pm

gabrielk wrote:---

I was wondering if I can take a shot at corporate law [...] for a shot at BigLaw??

---

Corporate law is a practice area focusing on transactions, contracts, and other business-related legal issues. BigLaw refers to the largest and most prestigious firms, probably all of which practice business law (among other areas). Many lawyers practice corporate law but don't work in BigLaw firms, and many lawyers working in BigLaw practice in areas other than corporate law.

and no, undergrad major doesn't matter.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:01 pm

contrary to all the other posts, ill offer that you are likely doomed to a life of unemployment and doc review

jk

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Fri May 07, 2010 12:24 am

Rand M. wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Doesn't matter in the slightest. Its all about the Law school grades (and of course law school quality). Corporate law is a legal career not a business one. You don't need business exp.

This.
The only time undergrad major matters is when you are trying to work IP. Then you need a background in Hard Science, but other than that no one really cares what you majored in.

Only if you want to do patent prosecution. Otherwise, no, you don't.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Fri May 07, 2010 12:26 am

Rand M. wrote:The only time undergrad major matters is when you are trying to work IP. Then you need a background in Hard Science, but other than that no one really cares what you majored in.

You are laughably wrong.

thinkbig

Postby thinkbig » Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
Rand M. wrote:The only time undergrad major matters is when you are trying to work IP. Then you need a background in Hard Science, but other than that no one really cares what you majored in.

You are laughably wrong.

You are laughably wrong.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

You are laughably wrong.

Care to elaborate...???

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”