Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby apper123 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:00 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
apper123 wrote:went 30 hours without sleep at one point this week. took a final around 24 into those 30 hours.

lol I did the exact same thing, and that 30+ odd period was right after I already pulled an all nighter


about to do it again right now

it's weird... once you get past a certain point you CANT sleep. you are definitely suffering from sleep deprivation, but it's like your body has given up. it's so weird. obv you eventually collapse, but it takes a while.

jetlagz28
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby jetlagz28 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:58 am

J$%K off a lot.

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Melatonin and valerian root have served me well with my work life - still a -1L so not sure its portability, but the combo won't leave you groggy and should allow 4-5 naturally restful hours.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 07, 2010 9:36 pm

apper123 wrote:it's weird... once you get past a certain point you CANT sleep. you are definitely suffering from sleep deprivation, but it's like your body has given up. it's so weird. obv you eventually collapse, but it takes a while.

I don't really have that problem. After about 16 hours of awakeness I just start fading fast, no matter what I try to do.

User avatar
blackacre
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby blackacre » Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 pm

eth3n wrote:I have recently been falling asleep listening to british people talking, this works suprisingly well, but I was wondering if anyone else out there had any law school cures for insomnia? My sleep quality still isn't amazing and I want to go into con law with more than a few hours.


cocaine

/thread

User avatar
steve_nash
Posts: 256
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby steve_nash » Fri May 07, 2010 9:52 pm

I don't think drugs are the way to go, but some of my friends swear by Tylenol PM. I've found decaffeinated tea helps me some; I also have to force myself to stop working at least an hour before bedtime to give my mind some time to wind down. Also, try to have a regular sleep pattern, i.e., don't go to bed or get up at different hours every day.

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby macattaq » Fri May 07, 2010 11:51 pm

Something else you might want to consider is meditation. Not for any long period of time, but 5-10 minutes should do it for you. Giving your brain a chance to slow down, and let go of some of the stressors you are carrying will definitely help you out. Its a little bit hard to just let thoughts 'float' through your consciousness without grabbing onto them, especially around now. So, imagine yourself letting go of baggage, the baggage being a container for your thoughts. I know this sounds pretty foofy, but if you couple this with some deep breathing exercises, you might find yourself surprised at how quickly you are able to fall asleep.

User avatar
Close Diamond
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby Close Diamond » Sat May 08, 2010 1:09 am

macattaq wrote:Something else you might want to consider is meditation. Not for any long period of time, but 5-10 minutes should do it for you. Giving your brain a chance to slow down, and let go of some of the stressors you are carrying will definitely help you out. Its a little bit hard to just let thoughts 'float' through your consciousness without grabbing onto them, especially around now. So, imagine yourself letting go of baggage, the baggage being a container for your thoughts. I know this sounds pretty foofy, but if you couple this with some deep breathing exercises, you might find yourself surprised at how quickly you are able to fall asleep.


Just to clarify things: while the practice mentioned above is helpful for relaxing and inducing sleep (it helps me), it's not meditation. Meditation is the act of focusing on a single mental object or thought process to the exclusion of all others. It's similar to the relaxation technique but is more active and has a set object of focus.

/Know-it-all-ism.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby A'nold » Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 am

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:masturbate furiously

If you had posted directly under Macempress, this would have worked so much better.


IRL mac.empress is like 350 pounds. How could her real life appearance measure up to all the geeky expectations?

Ambien ftw.

User avatar
mac.empress
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Any tips to avoid stress-induced insomnia around finals?

Postby mac.empress » Sat May 08, 2010 6:44 am

A'nold wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:masturbate furiously

If you had posted directly under Macempress, this would have worked so much better.


IRL mac.empress is like 350 pounds. How could her real life appearance measure up to all the geeky expectations?


:lol: :lol: :lol:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 2 guests