Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:33 pm

stinger35 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Without a graded legal writing class, I would have a 4.0 for the year.

Honestly...why do they do this to us? If I would have researched this fact more, I swear I would have gone to a different school JUST BECAUSE OF THAT


Why would a LW class not be graded . . . isn't that standard?


Yea, more common than not. But there is still a significant chunk of schools (including t14) that do not grade legal writing and simply give a P/F.


Sorry about your grade. btw. what list of schools did you end up w/?

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:57 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
stinger35 wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Without a graded legal writing class, I would have a 4.0 for the year.

Honestly...why do they do this to us? If I would have researched this fact more, I swear I would have gone to a different school JUST BECAUSE OF THAT


Why would a LW class not be graded . . . isn't that standard?


Yea, more common than not. But there is still a significant chunk of schools (including t14) that do not grade legal writing and simply give a P/F.


Sorry about your grade. btw. what list of schools did you end up w/?


No worries, just makes me so jealous of those with P/F in LW. (Our classes our only allowed to give out 2 A's and kids in there just outworked me basically). As for schools...Mich, Northwestern, GULC, NYU, Columbia, Duke, Cornell, UCLA, Berkeley....all received apps from me. I'm basically hoping for about a 20% acceptance rate hahaha - if Mich or NU though, I'd be absolutely ecstatic

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby megaTTTron » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:41 pm

Our LW sections were the same. Kids had to WORK to get those As. Regardless. I like your list. I'll bet you get a bite at N(YU)CBM.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby BunkMoreland » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:22 pm

I somehow managed to land a 3.98 my second sem at a t20. If I had to give advice, I'd be at a loss. I know of no definable strategies that clearly improved my work. If anything, it's powerful testimony toward the theory that you HAVE to develop your own way, period.


Oh, and -1 to anyone who says going to class is the most important part of law school. I probably skipped 25% of my classes. With a firm grasp on the teacher's style and a good syllabus with all assignments, you can teach yourself just fine.

eth3n
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby eth3n » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:27 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:Oh, and -1 to anyone who says going to class is the most important part of law school. I probably skipped 25% of my classes. With a firm grasp on the teacher's style and a good syllabus with all assignments, you can teach yourself just fine.

I think this depends on the teacher, native testtaking ability, participation/lack thereof affecting grade, as well the attendance habits of the other students in the class
I don't know if this is the best advice to give to the 0L lurkers (not the "most important" part, but "you can top out teaching yourself" part)

I doubt many would disagree that regurgitating the teacher's lecture examples and personal idiosyncrasies on your exam is generally a good way to get points.

Lawrence
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:05 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Finally got all my grades back. I was top 3% first semester but slid back this semester. I'm right on last semester's cut off for top 10%, and that cut off fluctuates up and down each semester. If it happens to go down this semester I made top 10%, if it goes up, then I missed it. I'll be fine with my slide as long as I stay in the top 10% which will put me on the law review. If not, it will be kind of a hard pill to swallow.

mardimar
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mardimar » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:05 pm

.
Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:02 am

Grats to everyone newly informed who killed it! Still waiting, and doing so more calmly than I thought I ever could, given circumstances. If there is one constant in the world, it's that we never can plan for anything, or if we do plan, we must expect that those plans can change in an instant. If I were Buddhist I suppose I would write something about how attachment only leads on to unhappiness, but I would make the worst Buddhist on the face of the planet. I hope too much.

Whatever happens, it's all been a grand adventure, and I won't be sorry. je ne regrette rien.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:12 am

BunkMoreland wrote:Oh, and -1 to anyone who says going to class is the most important part of law school. I probably skipped 25% of my classes. With a firm grasp on the teacher's style and a good syllabus with all assignments, you can teach yourself just fine.

The only way I was able to get a firm grasp on the teacher's style and what the teacher would consider important on the exam was by attending 90% of the classes. I would've attended more if life didn't get in the way. While it's possible to attend less and still do well, anyone who takes that path does so at their own risk.

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Paichka » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Paichka wrote:Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Congratulations!

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Paichka » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Paichka wrote:Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Congratulations!


Thanks! You guys are the only people I can tell. My friends don't talk about grades. :)

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:34 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Paichka wrote:Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Congratulations!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 am

Paichka wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Paichka wrote:Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Congratulations!


Thanks! You guys are the only people I can tell. My friends don't talk about grades. :)


'Grats! And your friends are wise. It's best to discuss grades with friends at other schools, anyway.

Pablo Ramirez
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:01 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:03 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Paichka wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Paichka wrote:Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Congratulations!


Thanks! You guys are the only people I can tell. My friends don't talk about grades. :)


'Grats! And your friends are wise. It's best to discuss grades with friends at other schools, anyway who don't have 4.0s

User avatar
Paichka
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:17 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Paichka » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:02 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Paichka wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Paichka wrote:Finally got all my grades back.

3.89 last semester
4.11 this semester (HOLY SH!T)
4.00 cumulative (HOLY SH!T)

I couldn't believe it. Still can't.

Congratulations!


Thanks! You guys are the only people I can tell. My friends don't talk about grades. :)


'Grats! And your friends are wise. It's best to discuss grades with friends at other schools, anyway.


Yeah. We decided early on that we weren't going to talk about grades -- we broke that rule only for LRW, when we were...ah...complaining about our professor and comparing our raw scores on our memos. It's definitely better not to talk about grades. I don't even like to talk about grades with other law students in person -- when I got my final grade yesterday, I was still in shock, and one of the other interns in my office got HER final grade back, and it was a C. So I thought it was better just to share the news HERE, and not run around my office hooting with unrestrained glee.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 pm

Is anyone else (Chicago students excluded here) still waiting for grades? Should I be worried that the grades actually posted ages ago, but there was some reporting mishap?

frost
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby frost » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:18 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Is anyone else (Chicago students excluded here) still waiting for grades? Should I be worried that the grades actually posted ages ago, but there was some reporting mishap?


OS, I'm still waiting for one grade. It's really annoying considering I took the final over 5 weeks ago.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:19 pm

frost wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Is anyone else (Chicago students excluded here) still waiting for grades? Should I be worried that the grades actually posted ages ago, but there was some reporting mishap?


OS, I'm still waiting for one grade. It's really annoying considering I took the final over 5 weeks ago.


Oh, I hope you get your news soon! I tried to be a good confidante, but now it seems my section is to be among the last to hear. I have no spring grades except for LRW. Ah, well, learn to be patient and make it happen, right? I wish you good luck!

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Unemployed » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:24 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Is anyone else (Chicago students excluded here) still waiting for grades? Should I be worried that the grades actually posted ages ago, but there was some reporting mishap?


I'm still waiting for one.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby MrKappus » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Fears irrational. 3.8 second semester. Whee. Hope it went similarly for all of you. This thread helped me pass the ulcer-inducing time until grades came out. So thx to all.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:24 pm

MrKappus wrote:Fears irrational. 3.8 second semester. Whee. Hope it went similarly for all of you. This thread helped me pass the ulcer-inducing time until grades came out. So thx to all.


Fears rational, as pertaining to crim. 2.9 in crim law. Poop.

Oh well, I got me a 3.6 in conlaw. Huzzah!

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:27 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Fears irrational. 3.8 second semester. Whee. Hope it went similarly for all of you. This thread helped me pass the ulcer-inducing time until grades came out. So thx to all.


Fears rational, as pertaining to crim. 2.9 in crim law. Poop.

Oh well, I got me a 3.6 in conlaw. Huzzah!


Grats on the conlaw!

Grats as well to MrKappus. I wish I could post in here in earnest, and I hope I'll get to call the fears irrational...

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:29 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Fears irrational. 3.8 second semester. Whee. Hope it went similarly for all of you. This thread helped me pass the ulcer-inducing time until grades came out. So thx to all.


Fears rational, as pertaining to crim. 2.9 in crim law. Poop.

Oh well, I got me a 3.6 in conlaw. Huzzah!


Grats on the conlaw!

Grats as well to MrKappus. I wish I could post in here in earnest, and I hope I'll get to call the fears irrational...


No grades yet?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:33 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Fears irrational. 3.8 second semester. Whee. Hope it went similarly for all of you. This thread helped me pass the ulcer-inducing time until grades came out. So thx to all.


Fears rational, as pertaining to crim. 2.9 in crim law. Poop.

Oh well, I got me a 3.6 in conlaw. Huzzah!


Grats on the conlaw!

Grats as well to MrKappus. I wish I could post in here in earnest, and I hope I'll get to call the fears irrational...


No grades yet?


Sending PM.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests