Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby apper123 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:26 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
apper123 wrote:lol ok how is this for cruel:

our con law prof (the one class im terrified the most of how i did in) put up the raw score of our exams on blackboard... but didn't tell us median, mean, average or anything. no indication of letter grades. i refuse to look at it, but many others have and they are having heart attacks.

Your classmates are idiots.

actually, the guy who told me just told me they figured out it was simply a score for a "pre-test" we took at the beginning of the year, and they misread it and thought it was our finals score

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by apper123 on Wed May 26, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 26, 2010 3:27 pm

apper123 wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
apper123 wrote:lol ok how is this for cruel:

our con law prof (the one class im terrified the most of how i did in) put up the raw score of our exams on blackboard... but didn't tell us median, mean, average or anything. no indication of letter grades. i refuse to look at it, but many others have and they are having heart attacks.

Your classmates are idiots.

actually, the guy who told me just told me they figured out it was simply a score for a "pre-test" we took at the beginning of the year, and they misread it and thought it was our finals score

--ImageRemoved--

further proof

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:26 pm

A few grades in and my fears seem to be extremely irrational (since I was freaking out as much as anyone).... carrying a 3.94 for 1st year. Keep the faith my fellows Pennoyer's!

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Wed May 26, 2010 11:34 pm

apper123 wrote:There was a T25 school that I tried really hard to get into off the waitlist last year. I kind of finally did at the last minute, but it was too late to go.

However, I received an e-mail from them today about transferring there.

I really wanted to respond with the following: "Hello! I am sorry to inform you but I have decided not to offer you my enrollment at your school at this time. However, I will update your file and keep you in mind over the summer. If anything else changes, let me know and please keep in contact throughout the summer to let me know your interest. I do not rank my waitlist, but I'll be honest with you: there are a lot of really competitive candidates this year, and I simply cannot go to every law school. Enjoy your summer!"


I remember you talking about penn state or someone emailing you as well - how do they have your grades/know that you want to transfer? Just wondering.

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby megaTTTron » Wed May 26, 2010 11:35 pm

apper123 wrote:There was a T25 school that I tried really hard to get into off the waitlist last year. I kind of finally did at the last minute, but it was too late to go.

However, I received an e-mail from them today about transferring there.

I really wanted to respond with the following: "Hello! I am sorry to inform you but I have decided not to offer you my enrollment at your school at this time. However, I will update your file and keep you in mind over the summer. If anything else changes, let me know and please keep in contact throughout the summer to let me know your interest. I do not rank my waitlist, but I'll be honest with you: there are a lot of really competitive candidates this year, and I simply cannot go to every law school. Enjoy your summer!"


omg send it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 27, 2010 12:09 am

megaTTTron wrote:
apper123 wrote:There was a T25 school that I tried really hard to get into off the waitlist last year. I kind of finally did at the last minute, but it was too late to go.

However, I received an e-mail from them today about transferring there.

I really wanted to respond with the following: "Hello! I am sorry to inform you but I have decided not to offer you my enrollment at your school at this time. However, I will update your file and keep you in mind over the summer. If anything else changes, let me know and please keep in contact throughout the summer to let me know your interest. I do not rank my waitlist, but I'll be honest with you: there are a lot of really competitive candidates this year, and I simply cannot go to every law school. Enjoy your summer!"

omg send it.

+1

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby sophie316 » Thu May 27, 2010 5:44 pm

Well I guess my fears were irrational. Even if I get a B(which I might since I felt I did ok and the only class I felt good about last semester was my worst grade) in my final class I should still be top 10%.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby rbgrocio » Thu May 27, 2010 9:15 pm

I guess I'm the only one here who stepped down from the top 10 percent range to the the top 20.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby A'nold » Thu May 27, 2010 9:18 pm

I dropped about 3-4% in class rank, so I guess my fears were at least somewhat rational.

Btw- LOL! I received the same PSU invitation to transfer! :D On a side note, this would be weird considering the fact that I was admitted last cycle, haha.

User avatar
nahgems
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:28 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby nahgems » Thu May 27, 2010 9:52 pm

rbgrocio wrote:I guess I'm the only one here who stepped down from the top 10 percent range to the the top 20.

Its entirely possible I will join you, but I don't have any grades yet...

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Lawl Shcool » Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 am

My fears have become totally rational. 3 of the 4 grades back so far are lower than any grade I received 1st semester. Hopefully civ pro comes to rescue with the final grade.

User avatar
j.hodgman
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:09 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby j.hodgman » Sat May 29, 2010 11:28 pm

JPU wrote:My fears have become totally rational. 3 of the 4 grades back so far are lower than any grade I received 1st semester. Hopefully civ pro comes to rescue with the final grade.


+1

*sigh*

User avatar
Joe Biden
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:33 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Joe Biden » Sun May 30, 2010 9:23 am

underdawg wrote:oh well with the talk about the guy wondering if his offer was gonna be rescinded, i guess i got all confused lol


Hey jb.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby sanpiero » Sun May 30, 2010 10:50 am

18 days since my last final and only one grade reported. LR has not reported and we submitted our final paper over a month ago. WTF. i fear that my first grade, an A, is setting me up perfectly for a huge disappointment when the final four are reported, just when i'm starting to think i have a shot at T14.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 am

I like Pennoyer so I am bringing it back, even though this is not to angst about my grades. It just feels so strange to be able to read a book or a magazine or go on TLS or walk in central park or linger with friends and not feel any guilt, that nagging "what else should you be doing?" feeling. The answer is nothing! Unless I am at work, glorious nothing. Does anyone else feel it right now? This could also be post writing competition lightheadedness. I'm not sure which...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:15 am

sanpiero wrote:18 days since my last final and only one grade reported. LR has not reported and we submitted our final paper over a month ago. WTF. i fear that my first grade, an A, is setting me up perfectly for a huge disappointment when the final four are reported, just when i'm starting to think i have a shot at T14.

None of my grades have yet reported, not even my P/F LRW grade, and that wrapped two weeks prior to finals in my exam courses. Apparently not a single Con Law or Property section has yet posted here. Sigh.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:22 am

vanwinkle wrote:
sanpiero wrote:18 days since my last final and only one grade reported. LR has not reported and we submitted our final paper over a month ago. WTF. i fear that my first grade, an A, is setting me up perfectly for a huge disappointment when the final four are reported, just when i'm starting to think i have a shot at T14.

None of my grades have yet reported, not even my P/F LRW grade, and that wrapped two weeks prior to finals in my exam courses. Apparently not a single Con Law or Property section has yet posted here. Sigh.

To be fair, nothing has posted today yet. Last semester there was a huge grade dump on the day after MLK weekend. Given that Con Law was 4 weeks ago, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Con Law section's grades posted today.

User avatar
samiseaborn
Posts: 269
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby samiseaborn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:39 am

How common is it for profs to send emails if you get the 'A'? I got one for the one I received last semester, and now I'm worried that I've heard nothing this semester. Grades aren't due for another week, but I know they've all been turned in to the registrar already.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:55 am

vanwinkle wrote:
sanpiero wrote:18 days since my last final and only one grade reported. LR has not reported and we submitted our final paper over a month ago. WTF. i fear that my first grade, an A, is setting me up perfectly for a huge disappointment when the final four are reported, just when i'm starting to think i have a shot at T14.

None of my grades have yet reported, not even my P/F LRW grade, and that wrapped two weeks prior to finals in my exam courses. Apparently not a single Con Law or Property section has yet posted here. Sigh.


I forbid UVA to give any grades back right now! I can't handle any more stress. You are not to get grades until I can get some sleep!

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby BobSacamano » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 am

I know that I am getting back a grade in about six hours. It was the biggest crapshoot of an exam this semester. I could see myself getting a C+ and I could see myself getting an A. This grade will likely make or break my chances of making Law Review.

I hate this.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Matthies » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:21 am

hang in there guys/gals, should get a bunch of grades coming out in the next two weeks. Just remeber, good OR bad, grades don't define who you are or your potential to be a good lawyer, unless you let them.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby sullidop » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Peeps need to relax. I haven't gotten a grade back and I probably won't get any back until damn near July. Chill and maybe go to a beach or something. Perhaps hit up the gym that you've neglected during finals.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 pm

It is over.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Matthies » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:17 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:It is over.

:?:

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby A'nold » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:26 pm

sanpiero wrote:18 days since my last final and only one grade reported. LR has not reported and we submitted our final paper over a month ago. WTF. i fear that my first grade, an A, is setting me up perfectly for a huge disappointment when the final four are reported, just when i'm starting to think i have a shot at T14.


Just to add to your anxiety here, maybe b/c I am evil or something, but this is exactly what happened to me. I got an A immediately in LW, my best grade since coming to law school, then I got the rest and they were pretty much all sub last semester. :?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: charmonster, m052310 and 8 guests