Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Leeroy Jenkins

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 19, 2010 2:37 am

apper123 wrote:woke up today and the realization that i likely bombed every exam hit me

fml

Congratulations on joining the club!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 19, 2010 3:01 am

Okay: Checking your grades once in the middle of the day.

Questionable: Checking again after 5 just to make sure they haven't updated in the afternoon.

Pathetic: Checking again at 3AM before going to bed in case they uploaded something in the evenings.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:03 am

vanwinkle wrote:Pathetic: Checking again at 3AM before going to bed in case they uploaded something in the evenings.

Literally just did this.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 am

vanwinkle wrote:Pathetic: Checking again at 3AM before going to bed in case they uploaded something in the evenings.

My school website states that they only upload grades once a day, at 7am. However, I often check at ~2 AM and grades are posted in the middle of the night.

baby lawyer

Postby baby lawyer » Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 am

RW65 wrote:

My school website states that they only upload grades once a day, at 7am. However, I often check at ~2 AM and grades are posted in the middle of the night.

Now I foresee myself tossing and turning in bed and rebooting my desktop every few hours to check for grades in the weeks to come. :(

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Wed May 19, 2010 9:08 pm

i have a good feeling about tomorrow. here's to seeing at least one one grade reported! :D

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed May 19, 2010 10:06 pm

sanpiero wrote:i have a good feeling about tomorrow. here's to seeing at least one one grade reported! :D

This is one of the saddest thing about law school: We get excited about the idea of finding out when our grades post more than what those grades are.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed May 19, 2010 10:15 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
sanpiero wrote:i have a good feeling about tomorrow. here's to seeing at least one one grade reported! :D

This is one of the saddest thing about law school: We get excited about the idea of finding out when our grades post more than what those grades are.

LMAO. Sooo very true.

And my Pass/Fail WOA grade is in. Woohoo! I hate that the first grade I have is the one I already knew.

The rest of them come out mid-July, but I am hoping some professors love us (or at least tolerate us) enough to post them sooner.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed May 19, 2010 11:58 pm

I haven't even thought about bidding b/c I hope to transfer. I want to bid in a way (at my transfer school, hopefully) that gives me the best chance of landing a 2L SA. I don't care about firm prestige or anything, just getting in and getting paid for my 2L summer and not being out in the cold as a 3L.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 12:15 am

A'nold wrote:I haven't even thought about bidding b/c I hope to transfer. I want to bid in a way (at my transfer school, hopefully) that gives me the best chance of landing a 2L SA. I don't care about firm prestige or anything, just getting in and getting paid for my 2L summer and not being out in the cold as a 3L.

+1. I am not concerned the least bit with prestige. I am going to bid on firms where I actually might have a shot of getting hired, this way I can (hopefully) have more options/offers. I just want to get a job. Not asking for much.

And Amy - it's too soon to panic!! Law review can still save us. :D

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 12:45 am

IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:I haven't even thought about bidding b/c I hope to transfer. I want to bid in a way (at my transfer school, hopefully) that gives me the best chance of landing a 2L SA. I don't care about firm prestige or anything, just getting in and getting paid for my 2L summer and not being out in the cold as a 3L.

+1. I am not concerned the least bit with prestige. I am going to bid on firms where I actually might have a shot of getting hired, this way I can (hopefully) have more options/offers. I just want to get a job. Not asking for much.

Exactly. I don't care if it is NALP 250, 1,000 or Shitlaw McGee power rankings, as long as I have a job that pays well lined up I will be happy.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 am

A'nold wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Exactly. I don't care if it is NALP 250, 1,000 or Shitlaw McGee power rankings, as long as I have a job that pays well lined up I will be happy.

Well if that's the case, let's find a third person (hopefully rich), and start our own firm. There - problem solved. :D

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 am

IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:

Well if that's the case, let's find a third person (hopefully rich), and start our own firm. There - problem solved. :D

Let's do it. I hope to be your classmate next year anyway. :)

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 am

A'nold wrote:

OMG - I didn't realize you were applying here as a transfer! Ahh - that would be awesome. I think you're one of the first people I ever talked to on here. :D

Are you also applying to "that other school" (cough, cough) on the other side of the Bay??

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 1:55 am

IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:

OMG - I didn't realize you were applying here as a transfer! Ahh - that would be awesome. I think you're one of the first people I ever talked to on here. :D

Are you also applying to "that other school" (cough, cough) on the other side of the Bay??

Haha, I actually don't know what school you are referring to! Stanford? If it is, then YEAH RIGHT! I don't think I've ever seen them accept a t3 transfer.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 1:58 am

A'nold wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Haha, I actually don't know what school you are referring to! Stanford? If it is, then YEAH RIGHT! I don't think I've ever seen them accept a t3 transfer.

You'll get used to calling them "that other school" once you get into Berkeley. :D

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 2:06 am

IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Haha, I actually don't know what school you are referring to! [strike]Stanford[/strike]? If it is, then YEAH RIGHT! I don't think I've ever seen them accept a t3 transfer.

You'll get used to calling them "that other school" once you get into Berkeley. :D

Hold on, let me fix that then ^^^^^ I would die to get in to Berkeley.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 am

A'nold wrote:

So exciting!! And congrats on clearly rocking out this year. :D

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 2:15 am

IzziesGal wrote:
A'nold wrote:

So exciting!! And congrats on clearly rocking out this year. :D

Thanks! I hope we are classmates next fall. :)

frost

Postby frost » Thu May 20, 2010 11:05 am

so glad i found this thread. i echo the sentiments of those who have no idea how they did, that's what i feel like this semester too. i was also banking on doing well in legal writing, just got my grade today and it wasn't good. glad i have a place to commiserate. but it still puts a smile on my face every time i think about the fact that i never have to do 1L year again.

sanpiero

Postby sanpiero » Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 pm

frost wrote:i was also banking on doing well in legal writing, just got my grade today and it wasn't good.

ours will be out by tomorrow and i don't have a terribly good feeling about it. at least at our school, where the difference between an A- and a B could be two or three grammatical/spelling errors, graded legal writing classes are a joke. this, coupled with the subjective nature of the grading, only adds to my anxiety.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm

got my first grade today

lowest grade ive ever gotten

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

irrational fears [x] confirmed

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 20, 2010 3:48 pm

apper123 wrote:got my first grade today

What class was it in and was it still over median?

apper123

Postby apper123 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:50 pm

A'nold wrote:

it was a B+ (3.3) on a 3.0 curve in an elective filled with 2Ls and 3Ls

really still kinda surprised cause i thought i killed that test. i do concede i kinda screwed up one question, but i didnt think i missed that much, esp since i decided to do an elective extra writing assignment that made the exam only worth 80% of the grade.

thankfully it's only a 3 credit course and most of ours are 4 credits, so i can still maintain top 5% as long as i didnt bomb any other classes, which i likely did.

what sucks is i wont know any other grades for another month.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu May 20, 2010 4:02 pm

apper123 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

it was a B+ (3.3) on a 3.0 curve in an elective filled with 2Ls and 3Ls

really still kinda surprised cause i thought i killed that test. i do concede i kinda screwed up one question, but i didnt think i missed that much, esp since i decided to do an elective extra writing assignment that made the exam only worth 80% of the grade.

thankfully it's only a 3 credit course and most of ours are 4 credits, so i can still maintain top 5% as long as i didnt bomb any other classes, which i likely did.

what sucks is i wont know any other grades for another month.

Not be an ass, but I don't see how a B+ is such a horrible grade. I have heard of people getting Ds in their classes, and THAT is something to be upset about. I don't understand how a B+ is such an awful thing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”