Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 am

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Bankhead » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 am

dresden doll wrote:
Mal wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


Not all of us are at a top6 love.


True enough.

What's also true is that it's generally unwise to attend a school where you can't afford to graduate at median. Odds = not in your favor.


When you put in 12 hour days, you find that it doesn't exactly come down to a roll of the dice...

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:27 am

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am

disco_barred wrote:
Mal wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


Not all of us are at a top6 love.


While I too have more sympathy for those folks, the whole point of this website is overachievement :P


I mean, it's not that I don't get where you're coming from. It's just that I really do have limited sympathy for the 'OMG, I am top 10 percent, can I keep it?' type of stress right now. I mean, I wish that were my one and only (or at least greatest stress in life).

I suppose that's the great side of going through a gigantic clusterfuck on many different fronts; you get to keep grades in perspective.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 12:28 am

amyLAchemist wrote:If you think doing well makes you nervous, try being a median dweller with the goal of improvement. I have lost rationality many a time.

Then try feeling like you really, truly bombed your first final of the semester, in a class you though you were ready for.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:29 am

Renzo wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:If you think doing well makes you nervous, try being a median dweller with the goal of improvement. I have lost rationality many a time.

Then try feeling like you really, truly bombed your first final of the semester, in a class you though you were ready for.


See, this is the sort of sentiment I can feel for, although it wasn't my experience.

Hitachi
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Hitachi » Wed May 05, 2010 12:31 am

On average, you will do worse, simple regression to the mean, so not so irrational. On the other hand, probably irrational if you think you will sink to the median.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:32 am

DD would you be like "omg shut up ur above median and ur stressing out over falling below"

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 12:32 am

dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


I knew this was your backhanded way of saying you feel sorry for me! <3

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:32 am

betasteve wrote:FTR: Even the title says irrational. And I don't know that any one is really looking for sympathy.


Irrational in that there's no reason to think that you won't do well again, not as in irrational to think that the world will end if you wind up not keeping your first semester rank.

Also, commiseration implies sympathy.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 am

Bankhead wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
What's also true is that it's generally unwise to attend a school where you can't afford to graduate at median. Odds = not in your favor.


When you put in 12 hour days, you find that it doesn't exactly come down to a roll of the dice...


Assuming others aren't doing the same, that is.

Although if your school is filled with likes of me, you'll be all right. Because I def. draw the line at 3 hours, if not sooner.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 am

betasteve wrote:FTR: Even the title says irrational. And I don't know that any one is really looking for sympathy.


The title also says Pennoyer. That will never stop amusing me...

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:36 am

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
FlightoftheEarls
Posts: 857
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:50 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Wed May 05, 2010 12:37 am

dresden doll wrote:
Renzo wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:If you think doing well makes you nervous, try being a median dweller with the goal of improvement. I have lost rationality many a time.

Then try feeling like you really, truly bombed your first final of the semester, in a class you though you were ready for.


See, this is the sort of sentiment I can feel for, although it wasn't my experience.

You really haven't felt this yet, Dres? Man, I've had this feeling for every single final I've had. Over winter break I had dreams that Dean Z had to sit me down and tell me I couldn't come back to school because my first semester finals were so bad. It sucked.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed May 05, 2010 12:42 am

betasteve wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Mal wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


Not all of us are at a top6 love.


True enough.

What's also true is that it's generally unwise to attend a school where you can't afford to graduate at median. Odds = not in your favor.

:|


:oops:

I do have more than a rough idea of what will happen to me if I screw up this semester. There is no Plan B.

User avatar
sanpiero
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:09 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby sanpiero » Wed May 05, 2010 12:42 am

i have to echo the PP and say that my exam writing skills totally escaped me on exam #1

User avatar
ZXCVBNM
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:45 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby ZXCVBNM » Wed May 05, 2010 12:43 am

law school is not luck. if you did very well last semester its because you know what you're doing. don't worry about grades. worry about studying and knowing how to do well. just write about the issues and you'll do fine. the grades will come. fear will only make you underperform. trying to get all a's is a recipe for disaster. just do your best and i'm sure you'll be relieved afterwards.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed May 05, 2010 12:43 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Was m311 the one who would get into like 500 page arguments about Ks with Vanwinkle?
I still miss Snooker more...

M311 thought that every act of part performance created another option contract. Good times.

See, I just searched his posts and my only memory of him was his correct exposition of the PER

Here's one of my favorites.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97699&p=2889604#p2889604

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby BobSacamano » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 am

My irrational fears are made rational by my irrational decision to attend a T2 school. So far I'm beating the odds, but I can't help but feel I'm playing with house money, and that it's all going to come crashing down with a swift kick in the balls from Con Law and Civ Pro.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Renzo wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:If you think doing well makes you nervous, try being a median dweller with the goal of improvement. I have lost rationality many a time.

Then try feeling like you really, truly bombed your first final of the semester, in a class you though you were ready for.


See, this is the sort of sentiment I can feel for, although it wasn't my experience.

You really haven't felt this yet, Dres? Man, I've had this feeling for every single final I've had. Over winter break I had dreams that Dean Z had to sit me down and tell me I couldn't come back to school because my first semester finals were so bad. It sucked.


Oh, I mean, I didn't walk out of the first final thinking I had bombed it. That got to happen last quarter with Contracts. And, yes, it gave me nightmares. I actually saw my K professor in the hallway after grades came out (and before I'd seen mine) and asked him what was the lowest number a person could have possibly gotten (since curve goes from 168-186 and they can make it tighter or more spread out). He snickered at me and told me to go see my grade.

Yeah, I know what psychosis is. I just have limited sympathy for this particular type of psychosis. Worst case scenario = you wind up at median. Add to that what I'd always said (i.e. no one should go to school they can't afford to graduate median from) and you arrive at why my sympathy is limited.

12 hour work days are impressive. God knows I haven't had those, not even right before exams. But I'd never assume that my classmates won't work just as hard.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby rayiner » Wed May 05, 2010 12:45 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Renzo wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:If you think doing well makes you nervous, try being a median dweller with the goal of improvement. I have lost rationality many a time.

Then try feeling like you really, truly bombed your first final of the semester, in a class you though you were ready for.


See, this is the sort of sentiment I can feel for, although it wasn't my experience.

You really haven't felt this yet, Dres? Man, I've had this feeling for every single final I've had. Over winter break I had dreams that Dean Z had to sit me down and tell me I couldn't come back to school because my first semester finals were so bad. It sucked.


I never have this feeling. I have a ragingly bad ego, even as far as law students go. :oops:

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:law school is not luck. if you did very well last semester its because you know what you're doing. don't worry about grades. worry about studying and knowing how to do well. just write about the issues and you'll do fine. the grades will come. fear will only make you underperform. trying to get all a's is a recipe for disaster. just do your best and i'm sure you'll be relieved afterwards.

Someone's been reading self-help books.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 am

Renzo wrote:
ZXCVBNM wrote:law school is not luck. if you did very well last semester its because you know what you're doing. don't worry about grades. worry about studying and knowing how to do well. just write about the issues and you'll do fine. the grades will come. fear will only make you underperform. trying to get all a's is a recipe for disaster. just do your best and i'm sure you'll be relieved afterwards.

Someone's been reading self-help books.


<3

Hitachi
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Hitachi » Wed May 05, 2010 12:47 am

Anyway, if you're willing to work that hard, you'll be successful in life regardless of your law school performance.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed May 05, 2010 12:48 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
betasteve wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Mal wrote:Not all of us are at a top6 love.


True enough.

What's also true is that it's generally unwise to attend a school where you can't afford to graduate at median. Odds = not in your favor.

:|


:oops:

I do have more than a rough idea of what will happen to me if I screw up this semester. There is no Plan B.

C'mon, you're law school barbie - there's a book deal or a movie in this somewhere. Don't 0Ls send you money and shit for being a TLS legend?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests