Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 pm

rayiner wrote:Thanks OS!


<3

I wish I could be drinking right now too...

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.

--ImageRemoved--


Wait, did you make that one just now?

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Yep OS, I did (:

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
A'nold wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I found the above meme on google, but disco had made is a while ago. lolz.

Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.


This reminds me of a Harvard study on law student personalities and what subjects they are likely to like/dislike. 0L's should pay close attention to this chart:

1. Contracts: social mutanty types, pocket protector-wearing, boring, sciency or accounting types.
2. Property: average, dull, save the whale hippie types.
3. Civ Pro: Ray
4. Crim Law and Torts: cool, down to earth, normal, people you'd like to have a beer w/ types. 8)

:P I'd have to say Ks and CivPro were my fav classes...

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
rayiner wrote:
A'nold wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.


This reminds me of a Harvard study on law student personalities and what subjects they are likely to like/dislike. 0L's should pay close attention to this chart:

1. Contracts: social mutanty types, pocket protector-wearing, boring, sciency or accounting types.
2. Property: average, dull, save the whale hippie types.
3. Civ Pro: Ray
4. Crim Law and Torts: cool, down to earth, normal, people you'd like to have a beer w/ types. 8)

:P I'd have to say Ks and CivPro were my fav classes...


Engineers... :lol:

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
rayiner wrote:
A'nold wrote:This reminds me of a Harvard study on law student personalities and what subjects they are likely to like/dislike. 0L's should pay close attention to this chart:

1. Contracts: social mutanty types, pocket protector-wearing, boring, sciency or accounting types.
2. Property: average, dull, save the whale hippie types.
3. Civ Pro: Ray
4. Crim Law and Torts: cool, down to earth, normal, people you'd like to have a beer w/ types. 8)

:P I'd have to say Ks and CivPro were my fav classes...


Engineers... :lol:

<3, and your meme was most excellent. You and Disco really need to collect your best law school themed ones.

:(

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Here's another:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Thu May 06, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 8:01 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
operasoprano wrote:
Engineers... :lol:

<3, and your meme was most excellent. You and Disco really need to collect your best law school themed ones.

:(


It's meant in love... I just like teasing engineers. :mrgreen:

and encouraging friendly competition among meme makers!

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm

stinger35 wrote:I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly


Not a problem at all. In my experience the actual overall conclusion is rarely important, and most profs grade such that it will be like a single point you don't get if anything.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Here's another:[img]

"Efficient breach is inefficient." - My K prof

"I am a badass motherfucker, and you look like a mother with a bad ass" - Learned Hand

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Matthies » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 pm

I know you guys are all stressing out right now, freaked out, second guessing yourselves, doubting your abilities, thinking you made the wrong decision, thinking you're going to bomb this semester. I know, I felt the same way when i was in your shoes, but I just want to tell you this: it really is as bad as you think, your all doomed and will never find jobs as lawyers have 6 billion in debt and like stroke out before you make 3rd year associate. So relax, no pressure, this semester just determines the rest of your lives. Cheer up!

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Matthies wrote:I know you guys are all stressing out right now, freaked out, second guessing yourselves, doubting your abilities, thinking you made the wrong decision, thinking you're going to bomb this semester. I know, I felt the same way when i was in your shoes, but I just want to tell you this: it really is as bad as you think, your all doomed and will never find jobs as lawyers have 6 billion in debt and like stroke out before you make 3rd year associate. So relax, no pressure, this semester just determines the rest of your lives. Cheer up!


D:

Kochel
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Kochel » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Matthies wrote:I know you guys are all stressing out right now, freaked out, second guessing yourselves, doubting your abilities, thinking you made the wrong decision, thinking you're going to bomb this semester. I know, I felt the same way when i was in your shoes, but I just want to tell you this: it really is as bad as you think, your all doomed and will never find jobs as lawyers have 6 billion in debt and like stroke out before you make 3rd year associate. So relax, no pressure, this semester just determines the rest of your lives. Cheer up!


D:


On the other hand, it might be some consolation to know that by the time you've been out of school for a few years (or, for some lucky few, before you even have to relearn it for the bar exam), the name "Pennoyer" will have absolutely no meaning to you.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm

disco_barred wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly


Not a problem at all. In my experience the actual overall conclusion is rarely important, and most profs grade such that it will be like a single point you don't get if anything.


Thats what im hoping - I was just worried because I spent 3 or 4 pages musing about personal jurisdiction and never said if they would be able to or not. It being the first question I thought it might give a shitty impression. Cest La Vie.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 pm

stinger35 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly


Not a problem at all. In my experience the actual overall conclusion is rarely important, and most profs grade such that it will be like a single point you don't get if anything.


Thats what im hoping - I was just worried because I spent 3 or 4 pages musing about personal jurisdiction and never said if they would be able to or not. It being the first question I thought it might give a shitty impression. Cest La Vie.


Some profs don't even care. My contracts professor actually told us not to worry about conclusions. I know they'll be wanted in property and torts, though. Concur that reasoning matters so much more. Maybe my Ks professor was actually messing with us, and that's why I didn't get an A. :|

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 pm

::Streaks through this dark corner of TLS::
Last edited by Bert on Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 pm

First semester, I walked out of most of my exams feeling like I did pretty decent and really well in one. I was prepared and pretty sure that i would get median and was hoping for 30% or so. It turned out, I killed all of them.

This semester, I am walking out feeling like shit. But now with the grades, I want to transfer, law review, etc.

Think that I just feel that way because of the pressure?

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby rbgrocio » Thu May 06, 2010 9:50 pm

stinger35 wrote:First semester, I walked out of most of my exams feeling like I did pretty decent and really well in one. I was prepared and pretty sure that i would get median and was hoping for 30% or so. It turned out, I killed all of them.

This semester, I am walking out feeling like shit. But now with the grades, I want to transfer, law review, etc.

Think that I just feel that way because of the pressure?



that's the same thing I feel. I hope it is just pressure and that my feeling after walking out of each final doesnt translate into bad grades.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm

stinger35 wrote:Think that I just feel that way because of the pressure?


I think the pressure making you think you bombed is possible enough to mean you shouldn't assume you bombed, at the very least...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 9:59 pm

stinger35 wrote:First semester, I walked out of most of my exams feeling like I did pretty decent and really well in one. I was prepared and pretty sure that i would get median and was hoping for 30% or so. It turned out, I killed all of them.

This semester, I am walking out feeling like shit. But now with the grades, I want to transfer, law review, etc.

Think that I just feel that way because of the pressure?

I think this sums me up too, generally. Knowing how close I am to things like LR puts a hell of a lot more pressure on. Last semester there was pressure to succeed, but knowledge I could fall anywhere in a range. Now it's like, I see a very specific target I feel like I must hit... that pressure is much more enormous.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Well lets hope its just a common feeling that is a product of our grades rather than any indication of how we did/will do

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 pm

I felt completely out of sync on my first final. I feel very behind and unprepared. Hope I did not screw myself over this semester.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:21 pm

A'nold wrote:I felt completely out of sync on my first final. I feel very behind and unprepared. Hope I did not screw myself over this semester.


Our anthem. l'sigh.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KissMyAxe, ValeVale and 7 guests