Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OperaSoprano

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 pm

rayiner wrote:Thanks OS!

<3

I wish I could be drinking right now too...

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.

--ImageRemoved--

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 7:35 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.

--ImageRemoved--

Wait, did you make that one just now?

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Yep OS, I did (:

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
A'nold wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:I found the above meme on google, but disco had made is a while ago. lolz.

Anyways, did K exam. I feel like it went well, but I <3 Ks, so i could be very biased.

This reminds me of a Harvard study on law student personalities and what subjects they are likely to like/dislike. 0L's should pay close attention to this chart:

1. Contracts: social mutanty types, pocket protector-wearing, boring, sciency or accounting types.
2. Property: average, dull, save the whale hippie types.
3. Civ Pro: Ray
4. Crim Law and Torts: cool, down to earth, normal, people you'd like to have a beer w/ types. 8)

:P I'd have to say Ks and CivPro were my fav classes...

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
rayiner wrote:
A'nold wrote:

This reminds me of a Harvard study on law student personalities and what subjects they are likely to like/dislike. 0L's should pay close attention to this chart:

1. Contracts: social mutanty types, pocket protector-wearing, boring, sciency or accounting types.
4. Crim Law and Torts: cool, down to earth, normal, people you'd like to have a beer w/ types. 8)

Engineers... :lol:

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu May 06, 2010 7:56 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
rayiner wrote:
A'nold wrote:This reminds me of a Harvard study on law student personalities and what subjects they are likely to like/dislike. 0L's should pay close attention to this chart:

<3, and your meme was most excellent. You and Disco really need to collect your best law school themed ones.

:(

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Here's another:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Thu May 06, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 8:01 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
operasoprano wrote:

<3, and your meme was most excellent. You and Disco really need to collect your best law school themed ones.

:(

It's meant in love... I just like teasing engineers. :mrgreen:

and encouraging friendly competition among meme makers!

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:15 pm

I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm

stinger35 wrote:I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly

Not a problem at all. In my experience the actual overall conclusion is rarely important, and most profs grade such that it will be like a single point you don't get if anything.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu May 06, 2010 9:20 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Here's another:[img]

"Efficient breach is inefficient." - My K prof

"I am a badass motherfucker, and you look like a mother with a bad ass" - Learned Hand

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 pm

I know you guys are all stressing out right now, freaked out, second guessing yourselves, doubting your abilities, thinking you made the wrong decision, thinking you're going to bomb this semester. I know, I felt the same way when i was in your shoes, but I just want to tell you this: it really is as bad as you think, your all doomed and will never find jobs as lawyers have 6 billion in debt and like stroke out before you make 3rd year associate. So relax, no pressure, this semester just determines the rest of your lives. Cheer up!

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Matthies wrote:I know you guys are all stressing out right now, freaked out, second guessing yourselves, doubting your abilities, thinking you made the wrong decision, thinking you're going to bomb this semester. I know, I felt the same way when i was in your shoes, but I just want to tell you this: it really is as bad as you think, your all doomed and will never find jobs as lawyers have 6 billion in debt and like stroke out before you make 3rd year associate. So relax, no pressure, this semester just determines the rest of your lives. Cheer up!

D:

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Matthies wrote:I know you guys are all stressing out right now, freaked out, second guessing yourselves, doubting your abilities, thinking you made the wrong decision, thinking you're going to bomb this semester. I know, I felt the same way when i was in your shoes, but I just want to tell you this: it really is as bad as you think, your all doomed and will never find jobs as lawyers have 6 billion in debt and like stroke out before you make 3rd year associate. So relax, no pressure, this semester just determines the rest of your lives. Cheer up!

D:

On the other hand, it might be some consolation to know that by the time you've been out of school for a few years (or, for some lucky few, before you even have to relearn it for the bar exam), the name "Pennoyer" will have absolutely no meaning to you.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:39 pm

disco_barred wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I can't stop thinking about what I did or didn't do on my civpro exam two days ago (i know its pointless) - on the big personal jurisdiction question, i dont think i put in a final conclusion. I think i put likely conclusion on each individual elements like purposeful availments, etc. but not a final one. Think that takes me out of A range...honestly

Not a problem at all. In my experience the actual overall conclusion is rarely important, and most profs grade such that it will be like a single point you don't get if anything.

Thats what im hoping - I was just worried because I spent 3 or 4 pages musing about personal jurisdiction and never said if they would be able to or not. It being the first question I thought it might give a shitty impression. Cest La Vie.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu May 06, 2010 9:43 pm

stinger35 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

Thats what im hoping - I was just worried because I spent 3 or 4 pages musing about personal jurisdiction and never said if they would be able to or not. It being the first question I thought it might give a shitty impression. Cest La Vie.

Some profs don't even care. My contracts professor actually told us not to worry about conclusions. I know they'll be wanted in property and torts, though. Concur that reasoning matters so much more. Maybe my Ks professor was actually messing with us, and that's why I didn't get an A. :|

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 pm

::Streaks through this dark corner of TLS::
Last edited by Bert on Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 pm

First semester, I walked out of most of my exams feeling like I did pretty decent and really well in one. I was prepared and pretty sure that i would get median and was hoping for 30% or so. It turned out, I killed all of them.

This semester, I am walking out feeling like shit. But now with the grades, I want to transfer, law review, etc.

Think that I just feel that way because of the pressure?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Thu May 06, 2010 9:50 pm

stinger35 wrote:First semester, I walked out of most of my exams feeling like I did pretty decent and really well in one. I was prepared and pretty sure that i would get median and was hoping for 30% or so. It turned out, I killed all of them.

This semester, I am walking out feeling like shit. But now with the grades, I want to transfer, law review, etc.

that's the same thing I feel. I hope it is just pressure and that my feeling after walking out of each final doesnt translate into bad grades.

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:54 pm

stinger35 wrote:Think that I just feel that way because of the pressure?

I think the pressure making you think you bombed is possible enough to mean you shouldn't assume you bombed, at the very least...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu May 06, 2010 9:59 pm

stinger35 wrote:First semester, I walked out of most of my exams feeling like I did pretty decent and really well in one. I was prepared and pretty sure that i would get median and was hoping for 30% or so. It turned out, I killed all of them.

I think this sums me up too, generally. Knowing how close I am to things like LR puts a hell of a lot more pressure on. Last semester there was pressure to succeed, but knowledge I could fall anywhere in a range. Now it's like, I see a very specific target I feel like I must hit... that pressure is much more enormous.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Thu May 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Well lets hope its just a common feeling that is a product of our grades rather than any indication of how we did/will do

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu May 06, 2010 11:11 pm

I felt completely out of sync on my first final. I feel very behind and unprepared. Hope I did not screw myself over this semester.

Postby 270910 » Thu May 06, 2010 11:21 pm

A'nold wrote:I felt completely out of sync on my first final. I feel very behind and unprepared. Hope I did not screw myself over this semester.

Our anthem. l'sigh.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”