Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
youpiiz

Bronze

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Post by youpiiz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:43 am

this august. new york.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:50 am

youpiiz wrote:this august. new york.
Yes! I'll be back from Oxford the second week of August. Come find me when you are here.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:01 am

yes. that is perfect timing!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:46 am

So far doing significantly better than last semester, but I don't know if I fit into those who "did well" last semester compared to all you top 10%/Law Review folks.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:09 am

mallard wrote:I'm not sure I buy that ITE justifies ridiculous gunning, but it seems to have had that effect.
Don't you go to Harvard?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:50 pm

<--- misses top ten by 4 people! =(

Mal

New

Post by Mal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:55 pm

rbgrocio wrote:<--- misses top ten by 4 people! =(
Ouch! That sucks a lot.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:57 pm

Mal wrote:
Ouch! That sucks a lot.
lol. Yeah... but I'm not depressed 'cause I thought I was going to miss it by way more! There is still hope. Plus I made the law review, which is making me feel better

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Mal wrote:
Ouch! That sucks a lot.
lol. Yeah... but I'm not depressed 'cause I thought I was going to miss it by way more! There is still hope. Plus I made the law review, which is making me feel better
Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:48 pm

rayiner wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
Mal wrote:
Ouch! That sucks a lot.
Congrats!

thanks! It was nice to have some good news after a very sour semester. I am hoping I booked all the classes (3) in which I got As... We will see what happens with that, but I'm keeping my hopes low! I'll be happy with anything at this point

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:54 pm

Isn't an A+ the class booker, not just an A?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:Isn't an A+ the class booker, not just an A?

There are no A+ at my school! I'm in one of those schools were A+ don't exist but D- are very possible! lol

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:59 pm

I ended up dropping .15 in GPA this semester. I don't think I did anything particularly wrong this semester, just regressed to the mean a little. I'm not sure what my class rank is, though, but I was pretty pumped to get my second A+ this semester.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:38 pm

BobSacamano wrote:I ended up dropping .15 in GPA this semester. I don't think I did anything particularly wrong this semester, just regressed to the mean a little. I'm not sure what my class rank is, though, but I was pretty pumped to get my second A+ this semester.
Congrats!

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:58 am

i wanted to share this with you peeps.

It's This Way
by Nazim Hikmet

I stand in the advancing light,
my hands hungry, the world beautiful.

My eyes can't get enough of the trees--
they're so hopeful, so green.

A sunny road runs through the mulberries,
I'm at the window of the prison infirmary.

I can't smell the medicines--
carnations must be blooming nearby.

It's this way:
being captured is beside the point,
the point is not to surrender.

beer lao

New

Post by beer lao » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 am

Not irrational at all. Probably .2 lower than what I got last semester. I studied more this semester too. Now I'm waiting on my torts exam which I will get next week. So far my grades have been somewhat disappointing from what I was shooting for.

So far I got:

A-
A-
A-
B+

There's a good chance I'll get a b+ in torts, which will drop my gpa to a 3.5, and if that happens I'll be right on the edge of dropping out of the top 20. Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggh. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
It's good I can complain in this thread. If I started complaining to my LS friends they'd consider me the biggest whiner ever. But TLS understands.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:41 am

beer lao wrote:
There's a good chance I'll get a b+ in torts, which will drop my gpa to a 3.5, and if that happens I'll be right on the edge of dropping out of the top 20. Argghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggh. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.
It's good I can complain in this thread. If I started complaining to my LS friends they'd consider me the biggest whiner ever. But TLS understands.
your overall gpa will not drop to 3.5 if what youve got so far is .2 lower than what you got last sem.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beer lao

New

Post by beer lao » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:52 am

youpiiz wrote:
beer lao wrote:
your overall gpa will not drop to 3.5 if what youve got so far is .2 lower than what you got last sem.

O sry, I meant my semester GPA to a 3.5. Top 20 at my school for first years have historically been between a 3.55-3.6

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:53 am

beer lao wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
beer lao wrote:

O sry, I meant my semester GPA to a 3.5. Top 20 at my school for first years have historically been between a 3.55-3.6
then if you avg with your first sem gpa then youre def still in top 20!! so still good, no?

beer lao

New

Post by beer lao » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:59 am

youpiiz wrote:
beer lao wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
beer lao wrote:

then if you avg with your first sem gpa then youre def still in top 20!! so still good, no?
Haha, maybe I'm just being a negative nancy, but my average if I get a 3.5 this semester will be a 3.6 total...which is on the edge of the higher historical top 20 cutoffs. So there's a chance I'll be on the wrong side of the line. Also, there's still an off-chance I could get lower than a b+ on my torts exam. But yea...idk, I wasn't expecting to be doing these cutoff calculations, but oh well.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:01 am

beer lao wrote:
Haha, maybe I'm just being a negative nancy, but my average if I get a 3.5 this semester will be a 3.6 total...which is on the edge of the higher historical top 20 cutoffs. So there's a chance I'll be on the wrong side of the line. Also, there's still an off-chance I could get lower than a b+ on my torts exam. But yea...idk, I wasn't expecting to be doing these cutoff calculations, but oh well.
i feel you. hopefully the torts grade will be an A and you wont have to worry about it!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:57 pm

In the general spirit of this thread, waiting to look. I'm going to look late Sunday night, when I know I'll be able to handle anything the GPA gods might give me.

Luck and <3 to everyone still waiting.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:59 pm

The lesson of my second semester is that if you learned to take exams and you have an outline with you and have looked at the boldface headings, it's nearly impossible to screw up too badly.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:40 pm

mallard wrote:The lesson of my second semester is that if you learned to take exams and you have an outline with you and have looked at the boldface headings, it's nearly impossible to screw up too badly.
Unless you've got a closed book Property multiple choice where multiple answers can be correct and questions ask you to name jurists referenced in Pierson vs. Post. My God, was that a pointless exam.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:56 pm

mallard wrote:The lesson of my second semester is that if you learned to take exams and you have an outline with you and have looked at the boldface headings, it's nearly impossible to screw up too badly.
+1

Would you all put a CALI award on a resume if your school's not a member (per the list below)? If so, what would you call it?

--LinkRemoved--

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”