Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
rbgrocio

Silver

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Post by rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Bankhead wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Okay, I searched my school's website. Grades will be available mid-July. That is a REALLY long time. And it's also when law review results are supposedly coming out. Talk about a double whammy. I am gonna need a LOTTTT of booze on hand around that time. :(

At my school we finished finals this week and we get out grades between Thursday and Friday of this coming week. The reason being is because given out curve about 18 percent of the class gets kicked out from the school, so they need to tell them before classes start Monday, May 24.
Sounds like a true TTT. What school?

Sounds more like a TTTT! lol.. To me it was just an easy decision. Though I got accepted into way better schools, I go to my TTTT for free, I'm among the best students in my class (probably not for long) and I already have a job at the place where I want to work upon graduation in the area where I want to work. I am married and I own property. Leaving to go to a better school was to much of a hassle. Specially, since I'm not interested in biglaw. Those who were in probation last semester unless they get their gpas above a 2.0 are out. Given that we curve at 2.4-2.6.... that will not be easy to accomplish....

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Sun May 16, 2010 9:45 pm

i guess waiting for spring grades will be more painful for me simply b/c i have to do even better this semester, if i want to transfer to one of the schools i'm targeting

mid-July seems like a really long time to wait! i think our legal writing grades will be out monday, with the rest to follow in the next two weeks. this could have a lot to do with our relatively small classes, though

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Sun May 16, 2010 9:58 pm

my spring grades fears are not as bad only because of my write on competition anxieties.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 pm

jp0094 wrote:my spring grades fears are not as bad only because of my write on competition anxieties.

In an hour I have only found the answer to four blue book questions and I'm not sure of any of them! lol

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 16, 2010 10:44 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Okay, I searched my school's website. Grades will be available mid-July. That is a REALLY long time. And it's also when law review results are supposedly coming out. Talk about a double whammy. I am gonna need a LOTTTT of booze on hand around that time. :(

At my school we finished finals this week and we get out grades between Thursday and Friday of this coming week. The reason being is because given out curve about 18 percent of the class gets kicked out from the school, so they need to tell them before classes start Monday, May 24.
Sounds like a true TTT. What school?

Sounds more like a TTTT! lol.. To me it was just an easy decision. Though I got accepted into way better schools, I go to my TTTT for free, I'm among the best students in my class (probably not for long) and I already have a job at the place where I want to work upon graduation in the area where I want to work. I am married and I own property. Leaving to go to a better school was to much of a hassle. Specially, since I'm not interested in biglaw. Those who were in probation last semester unless they get their gpas above a 2.0 are out. Given that we curve at 2.4-2.6.... that will not be easy to accomplish....
:? I keep having nightmares that I'll get below a 2.0 and my school will do that to me. I know we curve to 3.16 - 3.19, so people keep trying to tell me it can't mathematically happen, but that just sounds extremely painful. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I feel awful for your classmates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I know... I already calculated that even if I get straight Cs, I will still be above average. But I really don't feel like I wrote C exams except for maybe one of them. You will be fine. Your curve is amazing compared to ours. Some people in my class were talking right before our last final on how they hope to be back this summer. Apparently, if you get kicked out they send you some sort of letter along the lines of: "we regret to inform you that you are not invited to come back the following year." It sounds painful!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 pm

cooley?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 11:40 pm

apper123 wrote:cooley?

Nooo... hahahha. It couldn't be geographically farther from Cooley! lol

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun May 16, 2010 11:48 pm

I'm betting on either Thomas Jefferson or Cal Western.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun May 16, 2010 11:49 pm

Bankhead wrote:I'm betting on either Thomas Jefferson or Cal Western.

lol... Anyway... this thread is about irrational fears not what school I go to. But is neither one of those.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon May 17, 2010 10:00 am

rbgrocio wrote:

lol... Anyway... this thread is about irrational fears not what school I go to. But is neither one of those.
Yup, TJ. Got her.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 am

seespotrun wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

Yup, TJ. Got her.

I said it is neither one of those... so it is not TJ!!!!!

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon May 17, 2010 10:44 am

rbgrocio wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

Yup, TJ. Got her.

I said it is neither one of those... so it is not TJ!!!!!
Share with us your irrational fears, and school

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 am

I already shared my irrational fears many times, and my school is all over this website!!! I don't think it is an irrational decision. As I said, for my aspirations, no debt and a paid job my first year at the firm I want to work does not seem irrational.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Mon May 17, 2010 11:10 am

rbgrocio wrote:I already shared my irrational fears many times, and my school is all over this website!!! I don't think it is an irrational decision. As I said, for my aspirations, no debt and a paid job my first year at the firm I want to work does not seem irrational.
Oh no, no. I didn't mean to imply that going to your school was an irrational decision.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 1:16 pm

seespotrun wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:I already shared my irrational fears many times, and my school is all over this website!!! I don't think it is an irrational decision. As I said, for my aspirations, no debt and a paid job my first year at the firm I want to work does not seem irrational.
Oh no, no. I didn't mean to imply that going to your school was an irrational decision.
Oh hi, you must be new here then :P

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Matthies wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
Oh hi, you must be new here then :P

Everyone has different reasons to choose different schools. Sometimes, those reasons are solid and not irrational. I think irrational would have been for me to take on 200k debt at a T1 or high T2, when my aspirations are to work for small, medium-size firm, and I don't care if I make 70k a year. I have not been known to make irrational decisions, and I'm confident that choosing a T4 over way better schools was not, in my case, an irrational decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 pm

rbgrocio wrote:Everyone has different reasons to choose different schools. Sometimes, those reasons are solid and not irrational. I think irrational would have been for me to take on 200k debt at a T1 or high T2, when my aspirations are to work for small, medium-size firm, and I don't care if I make 70k a year. I have not been known to make irrational decisions, and I'm confident that choosing a T4 over way better schools was not, in my case, an irrational decision.
I hope it works out well for you.

Now, can we all get back to neurotically discussing fears of unpublished grades? I've convinced myself I'm going to get a C- in Con Law and tank my GPA. :P

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 17, 2010 1:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:Everyone has different reasons to choose different schools. Sometimes, those reasons are solid and not irrational. I think irrational would have been for me to take on 200k debt at a T1 or high T2, when my aspirations are to work for small, medium-size firm, and I don't care if I make 70k a year. I have not been known to make irrational decisions, and I'm confident that choosing a T4 over way better schools was not, in my case, an irrational decision.

Now, can we all get back to neurotically discussing fears of unpublished grades? I've convinced myself I'm going to get a C- in Con Law and tank my GPA. :P

Con. Law was my worst grade too.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Mon May 17, 2010 2:27 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

con law was my worst grade is law school, stupid consitution, its over rated

Paichka

Bronze

Post by Paichka » Tue May 18, 2010 8:46 am

Matthies wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

con law was my worst grade is law school, stupid consitution, its over rated
TITCR.

A third of our exam was ridiculous, ambiguous multiple choice. I saw two girls in tears after the exam. I might have laughed, if I hadn't felt like joining in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iwakeboard

Platinum

Post by iwakeboard » Tue May 18, 2010 9:48 am

I'm waiting on Civ Pro, and it's the only class I was worried about :(

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Tue May 18, 2010 1:38 pm

iwakeboard wrote:I'm waiting on Civ Pro, and it's the only class I was worried about :(
Civ pro is like propery, you either get it (or get questions you know well) or you don't, its like an upsidedown bell cruve, so its either easier to do well or do bad, but seems like no body ends up int eh midle on those two classes

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue May 18, 2010 1:57 pm

what are everyone's respective lag times like for grade release? it's been only 15 days since my first exam, so i think it's way too early to start compulsively checking my transcript; but, i can't remember what our lag times were like last semester. i'm pretty sure my first grade came out within two weeks of the exam. i'm just rambling at this point but my question to you, fellow Pennoyers, is this: when is it socially acceptable to begin compulsively checking the registrar's site for grades? :D

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 18, 2010 1:58 pm

sanpiero wrote:what are everyone's respective lag times like for grade release? it's been only 15 days since my first exam, so i think it's way too early to start compulsively checking my transcript; but, i can't remember what our lag times were like last semester. i'm pretty sure my first grade came out within two weeks of the exam. i'm just rambling at this point but my question to you, fellow Pennoyers, is this: when is it socially acceptable to begin compulsively checking the registrar's site for grades? :D
The day after you're done with finals

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”