Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm

No optimism and no reason. As far as I can tell, 99%+ of the 1Ls I know on this board and IRL feel like everything is going to hell, exams are horrible, performance will never repeat, etc.

Self loathe with me!

(changed 'ITT' to 'Pennoyer' to keep 0Ls / the lounge out. It's a total non sequitur. Pennoyer is like a "why did we do this to ourselves" law student shibboleth)
Last edited by 270910 on Tue May 04, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: ITT: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Tue May 04, 2010 11:37 pm

disco_barred wrote:ITT

I thought we talked about this and its contingencies.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: ITT: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:38 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:ITT

I thought we talked about this and its contingencies.


Fixed. That should keep them out.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: ITT: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:38 pm

betasteve wrote:
disco_barred wrote:No optimism and no reason. As far as I can tell, 99%+ of the 1Ls I know on this board and IRL feel like everything is going to hell, exams are horrible, performance will never repeat, etc.

Self loathe with me!

Are you reading my MIND???


Like shooting fish in a barrel. The point of this thread is for us to realize that if every single law student who did well expects to bomb, we probably won't (see, e.g., the 2Ls/3Ls on the board)

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby pany1985 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 pm

It's sort of terrible the way doing well actually increases your stress level by making it harder to maintain your position

Bankhead
Posts: 1124
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:50 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Bankhead » Tue May 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Everything has gone to shit. My exam writing skills seem to have escaped me.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 pm

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Bankhead wrote:Everything has gone to shit. My exam writing skills seem to have escaped me.


Exactly. Fuck this noise.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:44 pm

(changed 'ITT' to 'Pennoyer' to keep 0Ls / the lounge out. It's a total non sequitur. Pennoyer is like a "why did we do this to ourselves" law student shibboleth )

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby tomhobbes » Tue May 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Nice try. Hey can I havew some LSAT advice?

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby BobSacamano » Tue May 04, 2010 11:50 pm

I feel right at home in this thread. I can't talk about it with... well, anybody in real life, because I don't want to sound like a huge douche, but I'm probably twice as stressed this semester as last. I can't fathom how I will get three A's this semester, which I'll need to maintain my GPA. I keep thinking "one missed issue and there goes your law review invite!" And with the law review invite goes my job. What if last semester was a total fluke? What if everyone adjusted to law school and I didn't? What if my exam writing abilities aren't actually that great, and I just got by on multiple choice, which I don't have this semester?

Last semester I was just hoping to hit median keep my scholarship. My expectations are unreasonably high this semester. :(

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:52 pm

BobSacamano wrote:I feel right at home in this thread. I can't talk about it with... well, anybody in real life, because I don't want to sound like a huge douche, but I'm probably twice as stressed this semester as last. I can't fathom how I will get three A's this semester, which I'll need to maintain my GPA. I keep thinking "one missed issue and there goes your law review invite!" And with the law review invite goes my job. What if last semester was a total fluke? What if everyone adjusted to law school and I didn't? What if my exam writing abilities aren't actually that great, and I just got by on multiple choice, which I don't have this semester?

Last semester I was just hoping to hit median keep my scholarship. My expectations are unreasonably high this semester. :(


Exactly. I had a feeling that this feeling was a pervasive feeling.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:57 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
disco_barred wrote:(changed 'ITT' to 'Pennoyer' to keep 0Ls / the lounge out. It's a total non sequitur. Pennoyer is like a "why did we do this to ourselves" law student shibboleth )

There once was a man named Neff
Who before his timely death,
Didn't pay his lawyer to his chagrin
Who decided to sue to recover
But the Court said "Why bother?
You can only sue those in person":
A feature of the law student shibboleth.


What have we become :shock:

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby BunkMoreland » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 am

the worst part is I don't think my fears are irrational.

I was top ten-fifteen percent last semester...how bad could I possibly fall? Median? *gulp*

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:09 am

BunkMoreland wrote:the worst part is I don't think my fears are irrational.

I was top ten-fifteen percent last semester...how bad could I possibly fall? Median? *gulp*


I think the only way to realize the fear is irrational is to see how universal it is.

Maybe TToN or similarly situated 2/3Ls will swing by to soothe our nervous souls :-/

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 am

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed May 05, 2010 12:14 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
BunkMoreland wrote:the worst part is I don't think my fears are irrational.

I was top ten-fifteen percent last semester...how bad could I possibly fall? Median? *gulp*


I think the only way to realize the fear is irrational is to see how universal it is.

Maybe TToN or similarly situated 2/3Ls will swing by to soothe our nervous souls :-/

You ever wonder why there are so few 2/3Ls on these boards?

The m311 effect?

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed May 05, 2010 12:16 am

.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:16 am

Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:19 am

Was m311 the one who would get into like 500 page arguments about Ks with Vanwinkle?

I still miss Snooker more...

Mal
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby Mal » Wed May 05, 2010 12:22 am

dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


Not all of us are at a top6 love.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby dresden doll » Wed May 05, 2010 12:24 am

Mal wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


Not all of us are at a top6 love.


True enough.

What's also true is that it's generally unwise to attend a school where you can't afford to graduate at median. Odds = not in your favor.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed May 05, 2010 12:25 am

disco_barred wrote:Was m311 the one who would get into like 500 page arguments about Ks with Vanwinkle?

I still miss Snooker more...

M311 thought that every act of part performance created another option contract. Good times.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pennoyer: irrational fears of 1Ls who did well last semester

Postby 270910 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 am

Mal wrote:
dresden doll wrote:Call me heartless, but I'd have more sympathy for a person that did badly last semester and is now clinging to hope that things will go over much, much better the second time around.

Boo-hoo-hoo for top 10 percent kids that feel like /self at the thought of sinking to median.


Not all of us are at a top6 love.


While I too have more sympathy for those folks, the whole point of this website is overachievement :P




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Downstairs_Mixup, LawHammer, narddawg, splitterfromhell and 21 guests