Legislation - WTF?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Legislation - WTF?

Postby McBean » Tue May 04, 2010 10:54 am

Has anyone here done well in this course, and if so how did you study? Seriously, the topics are easy, and there is no BLL. To top it all off, we have hardly any practice exams an no model answers. Is the key to just stroke the professor for 10 pages?

Ignatius J. Reilly

Re: Legislation - WTF?

Postby Ignatius J. Reilly » Tue May 04, 2010 12:06 pm

I have taken the course. The key is really to learn the different theories of statutory interpretation and the various canons. If you can do that, it shouldn't be a rough course for you. You are right in one sense that there is no BLL, but in reality there kind of are black letter rules in the sense that there are certain things you just have to do, or have to avoid doing, in interpreting a statute depending on what interpretive theory you are using (for example, if you're interpreting from a textualist perspective and you resort to legislative history--except for maybe on little thing--then you have violated a cardinal rule of textualist interpretation). I hope that helps.

Postby TTT-LS » Tue May 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jonas » Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 pm

I agree with the above posters.

Also, if you have time, this book is well worth a read:

http://www.amazon.com/Legislation-Statu ... 1599410788

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”