Con Law in T- 9hours...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mac.empress

Con Law in T- 9hours...

Postby mac.empress » Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 am

and still not a fricking clue. The gunner posters were fun though.

apper123

Re: Con Law in T- 9hours...

Postby apper123 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:46 am

Same here. I have it in nearly 24 hours, and I don't know anything. Just sitting here reading Chem and reviewing old student outlines and hoping I can learn it all in that time.

TBH It's a 2k word limit (1k each question) with a 4 hour time limit and totally open note, book, whatever you want other than another person. So I feel like as long as I can naturally identify all the major issues, I can take the time to look up and apply each standard easily.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 am

apper123 wrote:Same here. I have it in nearly 24 hours, and I don't know anything. Just sitting here reading Chem and reviewing old student outlines and hoping I can learn it all in that time.

TBH It's a 2k word limit (1k each question) with a 4 hour time limit and totally open note, book, whatever you want other than another person. So I feel like as long as I can naturally identify all the major issues, I can take the time to look up and apply each standard easily.

Remember remember, a return to Lochner

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Mon May 03, 2010 2:01 am

I still have a few days, but closed note/book, 1/2 multiple choice (really), and totally afraid a question like "chart the path of judicial pragmatism in the past 100 years" is gonna punch me in the face. Desperately memorizing any details I can in the vain hope of doing well on the MC portion.

What are you finding Chem is useful for specifically apper? I have like perfect outlines but I really have no idea wtf is going to come up.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Mon May 03, 2010 2:07 am

I have multiple choice too. how the hell can you answer a MC question about con law? I'm imagining it's gonna be like, True or false: The Constitution is a living document.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 am

eth3n wrote:I still have a few days, but closed note/book, 1/2 multiple choice (really), and totally afraid a question like "chart the path of judicial pragmatism in the past 100 years" is gonna punch me in the face. Desperately memorizing any details I can in the vain hope of doing well on the MC portion.

What are you finding Chem is useful for specifically apper? I have like perfect outlines but I really have no idea wtf is going to come up.

I don't think taking detailed notes on Chem is a good use of time if you have an old student outline or outline of Chem's book available, but this just may be for me because I have really good retention while reading. The day before the exam (tomorrow) I just plan on skimming over Chem to reinforce the "big picture" while doing CALI lessons/practice tests for application purposes. Trying to polish off a usable bare bones outline tonight that will point me to where I need to go for greater analysis during the exam. I'm not concerned about time constraints due to the strict word limits to be honest. There won't be room to discuss the 4th, 5th and 6th angles on an issue, so I don't need to worry about mashing it out.

However, if/when I get a C, I reserve the right to come back and edit this post to "."

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Mon May 03, 2010 2:12 am

mnolen wrote:I have multiple choice too. how the hell can you answer a MC question about con law? I'm imagining it's gonna be like, True or false: The Constitution is a living document.

More like "who concurred with the majority decision in this pre 1900 case"

1) A B C D E
2) A B C E F
3) A C D E F
etc.

My prof is notoriously evil genius, so it cant go well. The last day of class he is like "for some reason, its rare that people get more than 50% of the multiple choice questions correct."

FML, I can only hope that everyone else will get equally screwed by the closed note thing.

---

Ya apper, I am not going to touch it at this point, I get all the really big picture type stuff, I just have no idea how to study for what will be ridiculously random essays and impossible multiple choice without an outline. I plan on sitting next to the smartest person in the section during the MC portion. >_>

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Mon May 03, 2010 2:19 am

My plan is just to curl up in a corner and cry, because I literally don't understand any of it.

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon May 03, 2010 2:26 am

mnolen wrote:My plan is just to curl up in a corner and cry, because I literally don't understand any of it.

Hint: it's all bullshit to a large degree.

theuserdylan

Postby theuserdylan » Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 am

Am I the only one excited about my conlaw exam? Last year's final was on prison rape. The midterm was on sex toys. I'm curious as to this year's topic. Makes multiple choice seem dry, huh?

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Mon May 03, 2010 3:01 am

theuserdylan wrote:Am I the only one excited about my conlaw exam? Last year's final was on prison rape. The midterm was on sex toys. I'm curious as to this year's topic. Makes multiple choice seem dry, huh?

yeah, you are

Journeybound

Postby Journeybound » Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 am

A fundamental right to rape someone in prison? Is it deeply rooted in this nation's traditions and history? Yes. Scalia and Rhenquist might go as far as agreeing that it is a fundamental right, lol.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Mon May 03, 2010 4:10 am

I have a super duper outline that I'm studying now. Whatever she does not mention will NOT appear on my test. 3 hour closed book exam. Funners! *Grimaces*

On a brighter note, if you must stay up, excellent French press coffee is the way to go!

*Chants* Only have to stay awake for nine more hours, only have to stay awake for nine more hours, only have to stay awake for nine more...

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Mon May 03, 2010 11:06 am

mnolen wrote:I have multiple choice too. how the hell can you answer a MC question about con law? I'm imagining it's gonna be like, True or false: The Constitution is a living document.

I'm still having nightmares about conlaw MC from last semester. Especially when they're of the "which of these is the best, but not necessarily correct" variety.

Sorry, that's not really a helpful response in any way. Just a truthful one.

jp0094

Postby jp0094 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:31 pm

Anyone have any idea how to approach a closed-book conlaw exam? My exam is basically closed book (allowed to bring in only one page).

RW65

Postby RW65 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:03 pm

jp0094 wrote:Anyone have any idea how to approach a closed-book conlaw exam? My exam is basically closed book (allowed to bring in only one page).

Our exam is Thursday. It is closed book, half multiple choice. :(

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 pm

jp0094 wrote:Anyone have any idea how to approach a closed-book conlaw exam? My exam is basically closed book (allowed to bring in only one page).

Mine was more closed than this. -1 page.

Know the principles from the core cases, read those judgments and use that reasoning 'till you vomit. Rinse and repeat.

eth3n

Postby eth3n » Mon May 03, 2010 7:27 pm

mac, if I know the current case/test for each area/clause that comes up in class, how far would it have gotten me on your test?, meaning I know the current commerce clause test/all applicable (not overruled cases), N+P clause test/cases, etc. ?

Did you dive into dissents and stuff?

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:43 pm

ConLaw prof during a review session today: "Is there anyone in here who doesn't think Chemerinsky is the 5th book of the New Testament?"

apper123

Postby apper123 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:52 am

7 hours to go

im fully planning on putting "return to lochner" in my answer if i can make it even remotely relevant

it will make me far too happy to not do it

i think im kidding but im not sure

bigben

Postby bigben » Tue May 04, 2010 1:04 am

apper123 wrote:im fully planning on putting "return to lochner" in my answer if i can make it even remotely relevant

No con-law exam exists where it is not remotely relevant. To every question.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Tue May 04, 2010 2:09 am

eth3n wrote:mac, if I know the current case/test for each area/clause that comes up in class, how far would it have gotten me on your test?, meaning I know the current commerce clause test/all applicable (not overruled cases), N+P clause test/cases, etc. ?

Did you dive into dissents and stuff?

It's British/Commonwealth law so "commerce clause" = Huh? General principle though, know the leading and know the dissent. Of the leading + current case.

bigben wrote:
apper123 wrote:im fully planning on putting "return to lochner" in my answer if i can make it even remotely relevant

No con-law exam exists where it is not remotely relevant. To every question.

For us, that's Hinds v R. If there is a question, Hinds is the answer.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Tue May 04, 2010 6:28 am

Someone care to expand on the "return to Lochner" stuff. Are you forecasting how the court might go, or just making personal arguments for a return to the Lochner approach? My Con Law II exam is Friday... ahhhh!

Postby 270910 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:26 am

Jordan77 wrote:Someone care to expand on the "return to Lochner" stuff. Are you forecasting how the court might go, or just making personal arguments for a return to the Lochner approach? My Con Law II exam is Friday... ahhhh!

Definitely both! Everyone loves Lochner. It was a well reasoned, well decided opinion that many have lamented seeing the end of. It is rarely mentioned in cases except with utmost reverence - hadn't you noticed?

LegalPink

Postby LegalPink » Tue May 04, 2010 10:18 pm

took my 5 hr closed book con law exam today. 5 "shorter" essays and one long essay with multiple issues. horrible. absolutely horrible.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”