Planet Law School/0L Prep Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
hubtubrub

New

Planet Law School/0L Prep Question

Post by hubtubrub » Sat May 01, 2010 9:08 pm

So, I'm a 0L... I had read on TLS that summer prep (as in reading E&E's or supplements are just worthless). So, I pushed it away and was reading things like: law school confidential/GTM/Planet Law School... when I was reading Planet Law School and I freaked out about the section of prepping (there are actually three schedules where your supposed to read all the supplements a year, 6 months, and 3 months... wtf?)

I don't really want to prep... but how could planet law school be wrong when it recommends you to prep?

chango

Bronze

Re: Planet Law School/0L Prep Question

Post by chango » Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 pm

you're joking, right?

hubtubrub

New

Post by hubtubrub » Sat May 01, 2010 9:13 pm

chango wrote:you're joking, right?
no.. i'm not...

i'm only looking for a reason not to prep (as in hard core E&Es). I have just been reading things on the law school experience. I want to spend my summer relaxing and netflixing it.

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sat May 01, 2010 9:15 pm

hubtubrub wrote:
no.. i'm not...

i'm only looking for a reason not to prep (as in hard core E&Es). I have just been reading things on the law school experience. I want to spend my summer relaxing and netflixing it.
Spend the summer relaxing and netflixing.

Also:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/planet-law-school.html

--LinkRemoved--

hubtubrub

New

Post by hubtubrub » Sat May 01, 2010 9:17 pm

chango wrote:
hubtubrub wrote:
no.. i'm not...

Also:

--LinkRemoved--

wtf. I wasted my money on that damn book.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chango

Bronze

Post by chango » Sat May 01, 2010 9:20 pm

hubtubrub wrote:
chango wrote:
hubtubrub wrote:
no.. i'm not...

Also:

--LinkRemoved--

wtf. I wasted my money on that damn book.

For the love of all that is holy, DO NOT get suckered into one of those "Prepare for Law School" seminars that cost a couple thousand dollars.

Anxiety about Law School is normal. But unfortunately, there are a lot of snake oil salesmen out there willing to take advantage of that anxiety. Relax.

There will be plenty of time to freak out once you're in law school.

See you at the beach!

hubtubrub

New

Post by hubtubrub » Sat May 01, 2010 9:22 pm

thanks for responding to my post and linking those sites!

See you at the beach :)

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:39 pm

hubtubrub wrote:thanks for responding to my post and linking those sites!

See you at the beach :)
Now you're getting the right idea! I picked up the PLS II at the library. Put it down after the BS line that I should wade through his 800+ pages of BS because "there's a lot of reading in law school so you better get used to it". :lol: :roll: Very bad LS prep book.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 pm

I read Law School Confidential and Getting to Maybe. I'd say they were both worthwhile, although for very different reasons.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:51 pm

0L prep is not advisable because 1L is extremely taxing and teachers often teach only specific portions of what are generally very broad subjects; thus, it is unnecessary to learn the entire scope of a subject when you're only going to be tested on a more limited, comprehensive vision of it. However, there are some things that you might want to consider in lieu of attempting to learn substantive law. These are practical things such as getting a leg up on your 1L job hunt by making a list of potential employers, reformatting/editing your resume, and writing a general cover letter that can be tailored to specific employers. In addition, I would highly recommend taking typing classes (or just getting some sort of computer program) to increase the speed and accuracy of your typing, as speedy typing is invaluable for the purpose of law school exams and general note taking. Also, I found that reading Getting to Maybe was incredibly helpful in teaching me how to tailoring my studying to focus on the unique nature of law school exams. Finally, reading various articles on law school success and the general process of law school (such as Arrow's or Xeoh's guides) is also helpful in crafting formulaic, intelligent study habits. Many people also highly recommend LEEWS, although I can't vouch for the system myself.

If you really want to read something, I'd suggest reading Glannon's E&E on Civil Procedure, as it will introduce you to various legal terms and jargon that you will abound in the various cases you will read. I wouldn't recommend attempting to learn any substantive law though, and don't exert too much effort, you'll have plenty of time during 1L to devour the thousands of pages of law and cases you'll inevitably have to memorize; remember that 1L is like a marathon and you want to ensure that you're in good shape to start it. I'd recommend taking it as easy as possible and enjoying your freedom while it lasts. :twisted:

hth.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:56 pm

mistergoft wrote:
If you really want to read something, I'd suggest reading Glannon's E&E on Civil Procedure, as it will introduce you to various legal terms and jargon that you will abound in the various cases you will read.
hth.
gah i was gunna quote this post and say credited until i got to there :-(

there's no need to do that

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:08 pm

apper123 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
If you really want to read something, I'd suggest reading Glannon's E&E on Civil Procedure, as it will introduce you to various legal terms and jargon that you will abound in the various cases you will read.
hth.

I didn't say there was a need to do it, but it's a good introduction to legal terminology, IMHO; I read it before lawl school and, while I don't think it really helped or hurt me in any substantial way, it definitely satisfied my interest in seeing what sort of language/concepts I was going to be introduced to. Again, I wouldn't recommend reading it actually trying to learn anything...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 11:37 am

mistergoft wrote:
apper123 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
hth.

I didn't say there was a need to do it, but it's a good introduction to legal terminology, IMHO; I read it before lawl school and, while I don't think it really helped or hurt me in any substantial way, it definitely satisfied my interest in seeing what sort of language/concepts I was going to be introduced to. Again, I wouldn't recommend reading it actually trying to learn anything...
This argument never makes any sense. How can learning the language or "terms and jargon" fail to be an advantage over one's peers? The point seems to be that you will be able to learn the law faster. This would be an advantage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:08 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
apper123 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
hth.

This argument never makes any sense. How can learning the language or "terms and jargon" fail to be an advantage over one's peers? The point seems to be that you will be able to learn the law faster. This would be an advantage.
I don't know where you inferred from my previous comments that I believed this would give a person any sort of advantage over any of his peers...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 1:05 pm

mistergoft wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:
mistergoft wrote:
apper123 wrote: gah i was gunna quote this post and say credited until i got to there :-(

I don't know where you inferred from my previous comments that I believed this would give a person any sort of advantage over any of his peers...
:|

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun May 02, 2010 1:09 pm

From what I have gathered Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential are worth the read. PLS... not so much. I have read through most of all three. LSC is a practical, broad overview of pretty much everything in law school. Getting to Maybe is said to do a great job of introducing you to how law school exams work and how to do your best on them. I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm a 0L so I can't speak to its effectiveness. PLS is a poorly edited, rambling, incoherent mess of bitterness and resentment. While there are some useful pieces of advice, it is not worth wading through 800 pages of nonsense.

As far as substantial prepping (E&E's, LEEWS, etc.), I would say slightly more people on here will say they are glad they prepped (or wish they had done some prep) before law school than there are people who say it is worthless. My opinion? I think it is good to prep, but you need to put it in the right context. Don't prep and expect to really know anything. Just do it to get an introduction to terminology, areas of law, etc. (especially if you are coming from a background that has provided you with very little in regards to information on the law).

Personally I plan on doing a bit of substantial prep, including LEEWS, before August. I'm doing it out of fear more than anything, as I am going to a non-T14 school without any merit aid. That said, I'm not going to waste my summer buried in books. I think there is this weird idea around here that enjoying your summer and doing substantial law school prep are mutually exclusive.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:15 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote: :|
Sorry, I misread your question, I'm so used to defending relentless assaults against 0L prep of any form at all that I glossed over your comment; regardless, I don't think that it's going to give you any sort of realistic advantage over another student, and that's not why I would recommend it (not that I would even overwhelmingly recommend it). Sure, you'll be equated with terms earlier, however, everyone is going to have to learn the law eventually and you're all going to be on equal footing when finals come around, so it's sort of pointless to learn in advance for no real reason; I only suggest doing it as a way to ascertain what law school reading is like.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 1:44 pm

traehekat wrote:[strike]From what I have gathered Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential are worth the read. PLS... not so much. I have read through most of all three. LSC is a practical, broad overview of pretty much everything in law school. Getting to Maybe is said to do a great job of introducing you to how law school exams work and how to do your best on them. I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm a 0L so I can't speak to its effectiveness. PLS is a poorly edited, rambling, incoherent mess of bitterness and resentment. While there are some useful pieces of advice, it is not worth wading through 800 pages of nonsense.

As far as substantial prepping (E&E's, LEEWS, etc.), I would say slightly more people on here will say they are glad they prepped (or wish they had done some prep) before law school than there are people who say it is worthless. My opinion? I think it is good to prep, but you need to put it in the right context. Don't prep and expect to really know anything. Just do it to get an introduction to terminology, areas of law, etc. (especially if you are coming from a background that has provided you with very little in regards to information on the law).

Personally I plan on doing a bit of substantial prep, including LEEWS, before August. I'm doing it out of fear more than anything, as I am going to a non-T14 school without any merit aid. That said, I'm not going to waste my summer buried in books. I think there is this weird idea around here that enjoying your summer and doing substantial law school prep are mutually exclusive.[/strike]
You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun May 02, 2010 1:50 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
traehekat wrote:[strike]From what I have gathered Getting to Maybe and Law School Confidential are worth the read. PLS... not so much. I have read through most of all three. LSC is a practical, broad overview of pretty much everything in law school. Getting to Maybe is said to do a great job of introducing you to how law school exams work and how to do your best on them. I've enjoyed it so far, but I'm a 0L so I can't speak to its effectiveness. PLS is a poorly edited, rambling, incoherent mess of bitterness and resentment. While there are some useful pieces of advice, it is not worth wading through 800 pages of nonsense.

Personally I plan on doing a bit of substantial prep, including LEEWS, before August. I'm doing it out of fear more than anything, as I am going to a non-T14 school without any merit aid. That said, I'm not going to waste my summer buried in books. I think there is this weird idea around here that enjoying your summer and doing substantial law school prep are mutually exclusive.[/strike]
You're a good poster I wish you loved me :(

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Sun May 02, 2010 1:57 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:

[strike]You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.[/strike]

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 1:59 pm

disco_barred wrote:
mikeytwoshoes wrote:

You're a good poster I wish you loved me :(
You're ok disco. If only you didn't attract 0Ls...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:21 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:You're ok disco. If only you didn't attract 0Ls...
I've only ever made like 2 topics, I didn't realize the horrifying plague it would unleash!

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun May 02, 2010 2:28 pm

disco_barred wrote:
I've only ever made like 2 topics, I didn't realize the horrifying plague it would unleash!
Think like a lawyer, disco. We need to contemplate the contingencies.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Sun May 02, 2010 2:33 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Think like a lawyer, disco. We need to contemplate the contingencies.
Damn it, man, I'm a law student not a boyscout!

gochrisgo

Bronze

Post by gochrisgo » Sun May 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Last edited by gochrisgo on Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”