Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:06 am

apper123 wrote:Penn State just sent me an email inviting me to apply to transfer there... that's... an interesting tactic.


:shock: This just made me lol so freakin' hard. How the hell would they know you have good enough grades to transfer?


Anyway, my school curves to around a 2.67 and in the end that was the "median" in that class. HOWEVER, the average GPA was like a 2.4. Seriously. The same class in the other section was curved to a 3.0. Not f ing w/ you.

BobSacamano
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby BobSacamano » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:07 am

I did really well my first semester but I'm not entirely sure what I did to get there. I felt waaay more confused in a couple of my classes than I for this semester's classes, but for some reason I'm much more nervous this time around. I don't know, I feel like I have to repeat my performance for last semester, and every time I think about that it seems like an incredibly daunting task. Grades that I would have loved to get before I got my first semester exams back will now bring down my GPA.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my expectations for myself are so much higher now. Since I'm not exactly confident in my abilities I'm even more nervous now. I won't lie, I KNOW one of my grades was complete and total luck. What if last semester was a total aberration? That is a terrifying prospect and scares the poop out of me for what it means for this semester.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:10 am

A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:Penn State just sent me an email inviting me to apply to transfer there... that's... an interesting tactic.


:shock: This just made me lol so freakin' hard. How the hell would they know you have good enough grades to transfer?


Anyway, my school curves to around a 2.67 and in the end that was the "median" in that class. HOWEVER, the average GPA was like a 2.4. Seriously. The same class in the other section was curved to a 3.0. Not f ing w/ you.


Jesus.

Thank god for grade inflation. We get 25% A-grades. NYU gets 31%. And these are the "tight" 1L curves.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:13 am

A'nold wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I am enjoying this late night advice/freak out session- wanted to get an experienced take on this: drinking red wine when studying past midnight.

Just poured myself a glass, wondering how good or bad a decision it was


I will be drinking red wine in about 10 minutes, but will not limit myself to 1 glass. We shall see how that goes. 8)



Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that i was going to only have one glass....

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:16 am

Unemployed wrote:
A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:Penn State just sent me an email inviting me to apply to transfer there... that's... an interesting tactic.


:shock: This just made me lol so freakin' hard. How the hell would they know you have good enough grades to transfer?


Anyway, my school curves to around a 2.67 and in the end that was the "median" in that class. HOWEVER, the average GPA was like a 2.4. Seriously. The same class in the other section was curved to a 3.0. Not f ing w/ you.


Jesus.

Thank god for grade inflation. We get 25% A-grades. NYU gets 31%. And these are the "tight" 1L curves.


What are the normal curves at higher ranked schools? (hopefully I am at one after this year)

Ours is basically a 2.8 with 10% A's, 15% B+'s as the two highest grades. Seems to be like that sucks

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:23 am

stinger35 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:Penn State just sent me an email inviting me to apply to transfer there... that's... an interesting tactic.


:shock: This just made me lol so freakin' hard. How the hell would they know you have good enough grades to transfer?


Anyway, my school curves to around a 2.67 and in the end that was the "median" in that class. HOWEVER, the average GPA was like a 2.4. Seriously. The same class in the other section was curved to a 3.0. Not f ing w/ you.


Jesus.

Thank god for grade inflation. We get 25% A-grades. NYU gets 31%. And these are the "tight" 1L curves.


What are the normal curves at higher ranked schools? (hopefully I am at one after this year)

Ours is basically a 2.8 with 10% A's, 15% B+'s as the two highest grades. Seems to be like that sucks


It's usually between 3.2 and 3.3, but I'm pretty sure NYU's median is higher now as a result of the recent reform.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:27 am

Thats cool as shit.

I am really pumped for my "Mediations" class this summer because of the no-curve. Anyone think it will still manage to suck?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:27 am

stinger35 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I am enjoying this late night advice/freak out session- wanted to get an experienced take on this: drinking red wine when studying past midnight.

Just poured myself a glass, wondering how good or bad a decision it was


I will be drinking red wine in about 10 minutes, but will not limit myself to 1 glass. We shall see how that goes. 8)



Oh, I didn't mean to insinuate that i was going to only have one glass....


O.k. then, that's more like it. I'm on my first right now. Trying to enjoy it though cuz I dropped 30 bucks for it like 6 months ago and saved it for when family came into town. Family be here now, and I be drinkin' it.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:28 am

just threw a few beers in the freezer so they are cold when im trying to sleep in an hour

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:35 am

apper123 wrote:just threw a few beers in the freezer so they are cold when im trying to sleep in an hour


Alcohol is good for keeping you from waking up. I could become a drunk due to my sparadic sleeping issues.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:36 am

As lame as this may sound...i feel a ton better now than when I made the thread. Maybe its the wine or just the fact that other people are up and doing the same shit I am, with the same grades, and the same anxieties.

Also, I lol'd pretty hard at "Family be here now, and I be drinkin' it." Good shit.

Apper: I like your style. Not sure why this idea didn't come to be sooner.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:37 am

A'nold wrote:
apper123 wrote:just threw a few beers in the freezer so they are cold when im trying to sleep in an hour


Alcohol is good for keeping you from waking up. I could become a drunk due to my sparadic sleeping issues.


Im big on up til 4, sleep till 10 during exam study periods. Still get an OK amount of sleep, but theres just no way I can wake up at 7 or 8 and be productive, why try.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:41 am

I don't envy any of you right now. Good luck, I'm sure you'll kill it.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:44 am

stinger35 wrote:Thats cool as shit.

I am really pumped for my "Mediations" class this summer because of the no-curve. Anyone think it will still manage to suck?


Is it a clinic? Our mediation clinic people see some serious shit... the disputing parties are usually REALLY pissed off when they come to you.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:46 am

Unemployed wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Thats cool as shit.

I am really pumped for my "Mediations" class this summer because of the no-curve. Anyone think it will still manage to suck?


Is it a clinic? Our mediation clinic people see some serious shit... the disputing parties are usually REALLY pissed off when they come to you.


Nope. Just some 25 person class with no exam. I honestly don't even know what I am gonna do. As to them being really pissed, hell yea, I would be too.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:57 am

stinger35 wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Thats cool as shit.

I am really pumped for my "Mediations" class this summer because of the no-curve. Anyone think it will still manage to suck?


Is it a clinic? Our mediation clinic people see some serious shit... the disputing parties are usually REALLY pissed off when they come to you.


Nope. Just some 25 person class with no exam. I honestly don't even know what I am gonna do. As to them being really pissed, hell yea, I would be too.


Mediation is doomb. Adversary system ftw.

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:58 am

guess i should figure out what felony murder is now

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:00 am

O.k., so I've had this like early or mid 90's song in my head and I don't know what it is and all I can remember is this part:

"The only difference, that I see-ee, is that you are exactly the same, as I used to be....." or maybe it is you used to be, I don't know.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:05 am

The Wallflowers - The Difference

Damn good song and album

User avatar
apper123
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:06 am

im planning on being awake at 7 and my exam is at 830

what is the appropriate time to crack the first beer of the evening

now?

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:06 am

stinger35 wrote:The Wallflowers - The Difference

Damn good song and album


Thanks man. I shall google it right now.


Romo- you are one of the coolest 0L's on here, thanks for the shoutout and encouraging words man. Enjoy your massive scholly to a t20.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 am

I am 100% civpro right now, but as I stated in another thread, my Con Law exam is going to be two questions, one issue spoter, one policy. Anyone have any advice? I don't really understand Con Law exam strategy without the two adversarial parties always present.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:07 am

apper123 wrote:im planning on being awake at 7 and my exam is at 830

what is the appropriate time to crack the first beer of the evening

now?



Hmmm.....midnight? All I know is this: you are the pimp shit and are going to GULC, screw this studying bs.

Psyce, you are on eastern time, crack that beer already.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:08 am

A'nold wrote:
stinger35 wrote:The Wallflowers - The Difference

Damn good song and album


Thanks man. I shall google it right now.


Romo- you are one of the coolest 0L's on here, thanks for the shoutout and encouraging words man. Enjoy your massive scholly to a t20.


+1 although you don't envy us, I somewhat envy you

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Postby stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:09 am

apper123 wrote:im planning on being awake at 7 and my exam is at 830

what is the appropriate time to crack the first beer of the evening

now?


Hell yea, especially if you need some assistance with the whole getting to sleep bullshit. I just realized its not nearly as late for A'nold as it is for us. Hell, even later for Apper since I am on central.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LandMermaid, mist4bison and 11 guests