Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
stinger35

Silver

Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:16 am

I know I'll probably catch some hell, but I was just wondering how common people think it is to get great grades first semester (1st in class, Cali's, etc) and then screw up spring semester. Obviously I don't think I'll bomb and be bottom ten or even median, but I am talking simply 30% or so.

I don't want some dudes at median on here telling me "well, you don't have a big cushion, its easy to slip, bla bla bla" - I am more wondering if anyone knows people who have done or has done it themselves.

(Yes i am basically just freaking out and looking for a confidence boost, I realize that)

apper123

Silver

Re: Semi-Pre-exam Freak Out

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:17 am

im going down in flames

let's hold hands and go down together

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:26 am

stinger35 wrote:I know I'll probably catch some hell, but I was just wondering how common people think it is to get great grades first semester (1st in class, Cali's, etc) and then screw up spring semester. Obviously I don't think I'll bomb and be bottom ten or even median, but I am talking simply 30% or so.

I don't want some dudes at median on here telling me "well, you don't have a big cushion, its easy to slip, bla bla bla" - I am more wondering if anyone knows people who have done or has done it themselves.

(Yes i am basically just freaking out and looking for a confidence boost, I realize that)
General trend:

1) You know whether or not you put in the needed work, if you didn't then you're hosed. No getting around that.

2) If you worked at least as smart (hopefully not as hard since you know better now) as last semester, then the higher your grades were the more likely they are to be in that neighborhood. Top 15% or so means you got some median or below grades first go around, or at least that not all of your exams were at the top of the heap. But if you were pulling down As last semester you aren't going to forget how to do it.

General trends, obviously, mean less than particulars - but absent giving up or letting ego get in the way of doing the work, high performers tend to have two things in common with respect to second semester grades. First, they panic and get terrified they'll lose their spot. Second, they don't.

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:30 am

apper123 wrote:im going down in flames

let's hold hands and go down together
Hahaha...i'd love to if it meant i ended up at GULC too (damnit)

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:32 am

disco_barred wrote:
stinger35 wrote:I know I'll probably catch some hell, but I was just wondering how common people think it is to get great grades first semester (1st in class, Cali's, etc) and then screw up spring semester. Obviously I don't think I'll bomb and be bottom ten or even median, but I am talking simply 30% or so.

General trend:

1) You know whether or not you put in the needed work, if you didn't then you're hosed. No getting around that.

2) If you worked at least as smart (hopefully not as hard since you know better now) as last semester, then the higher your grades were the more likely they are to be in that neighborhood. Top 15% or so means you got some median or below grades first go around, or at least that not all of your exams were at the top of the heap. But if you were pulling down As last semester you aren't going to forget how to do it.

General trends, obviously, mean less than particulars - but absent giving up or letting ego get in the way of doing the work, high performers tend to have two things in common with respect to second semester grades. First, they panic and get terrified they'll lose their spot. Second, they don't.
I hope this holds true. I definitely did less work in the casebook but feel I know the subject matter so much better already than I did going into reading period last time. The funny thing is, I have the same exact feelings as the first time around. (Everyone here is as smart or smarter than me, everyone here has studied as hard or harder than me, everyone here knows the material as well or better than I do, everyone has the same materials/study methods/exam methods). You would think that killing first semester would give me some confidence. I am not sure it has at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:33 am

everyone else (top 50%) has definitely studied harder than me

but tbh (and not being arrogant just truthful) it was the same way around last time too and i turned out ok.

but i definitely did less work this time :-( (however i did a lot of pointless work last time)

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 am

I'm definitely on the verge of ruining my nearly flawless transcript with B's and C's and LP's.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:37 am

There's only so much work that it takes to learn a law school course properly. There is an infinite amount of work that can be done memorizing useless information.

Doing less work and maintaining good grades is the hallmark of success in law school.

Law school exams are skills tests that you will fail if you don't learn the doctrine needed to show your skills. Never forget that.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:39 am

stinger35 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:

General trend:

I hope this holds true. I definitely did less work in the casebook but feel I know the subject matter so much better already than I did going into reading period last time. The funny thing is, I have the same exact feelings as the first time around. (Everyone here is as smart or smarter than me, everyone here has studied as hard or harder than me, everyone here knows the material as well or better than I do, everyone has the same materials/study methods/exam methods). You would think that killing first semester would give me some confidence. I am not sure it has at all.
Hello self-doubt twin. I put in less work on the general classes and more work into LRW. My LRW grade spiked to the very top but I hope I didn't blow my chance at getting great grades from the rest of my classes. :shock:

I don't know man, I just have this horrible sinking/helpless feeling like I slacked off this semester and everyone worked harder or something. Ugh.

I felt like I was working "smarter" but just hope that that doesn't mean that I just worked a lot less than last semester on the important things.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:41 am

disco_barred wrote:There's only so much work that it takes to learn a law school course properly. There is an infinite amount of work that can be done memorizing useless information.

Doing less work and maintaining good grades is the hallmark of success in law school.

Law school exams are skills tests that you will fail if you don't learn the doctrine needed to show your skills. Never forget that.
to be honest i felt like i "totally got" the application and skill part of exam day so i kinda am relying on that

the amount of knowledge needed (example: for my crim law final) just didnt seem super extensive. crim law is so ambiguous i feel like i could literally argue anything using a base set of 5 rules and common sense and still do well.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:42 am

disco_barred wrote:There's only so much work that it takes to learn a law school course properly. There is an infinite amount of work that can be done memorizing useless information.

That was evil, haha. You had me feeling all good and assured until I came across the bolded. That is what I am afraid of.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:49 am

A'nold wrote:

That was evil, haha. You had me feeling all good and assured until I came across the bolded. That is what I am afraid of.
Learning the doctrine is only hard if you expect it to be hard. Don't fight the ambiguity, man. Your mild confusion is an asset - type about it on the exam and collect points. There's no way you actually neglected to pay attention or read such that you're missing the fundamentals. I suppose it's conceivable, but I've never heard it. And even on the internet I can tell the difference between "I have made a huge mistake" and "like most humans I for some reason refuse to allow myself more self confidence than that of a crushed bug."

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:54 am

This steers this topic a little off but:

1) I feel like CivPro is incredibly easy. Am I missing something? (We didn't cover joinder at all, so maybe that has something to do with it)

2) How many practice exams do you guys recommend? I did a ton first semester but feel like it took so much time and I over did it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:55 am

disco_barred wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Learning the doctrine is only hard if you expect it to be hard. Don't fight the ambiguity, man. Your mild confusion is an asset - type about it on the exam and collect points. There's no way you actually neglected to pay attention or read such that you're missing the fundamentals. I suppose it's conceivable, but I've never heard it. And even on the internet I can tell the difference between "I have made a huge mistake" and "like most humans I for some reason refuse to allow myself more self confidence than that of a crushed bug."
Lol, I don't hit you as the overly confident type, eh? :wink:

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:56 am

Also, A'nold, my fellow self doubter, if it makes you feel any better: I put less work into LRW this semester (it was already the only class I didn't get an A in last semester) and am almost assuredly down to a B or B+ level this time around. [I mean that class F'ing sucks. The curve is so rough at our school too, they only give out 4 A/A-'s out of 30.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:57 am

stinger35 wrote:This steers this topic a little off but:

1) I feel like CivPro is incredibly easy. Am I missing something? (We didn't cover joinder at all, so maybe that has something to do with it)

2) How many practice exams do you guys recommend? I did a ton first semester but feel like it took so much time and I over did it.
I never took one practice exam and I only ever did even a few hypos. I learn more by listening than doing most times, so I just kind of took note on how to do it from arrow's post and leews and felt comfortable after my second hypo try and just went with it.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:58 am

stinger35 wrote:Also, A'nold, my fellow self doubter, if it makes you feel any better: I put less work into LRW this semester (it was already the only class I didn't get an A in last semester) and am almost assuredly down to a B or B+ level this time around. [I mean that class F'ing sucks. The curve is so rough at our school too, they only give out 4 A/A-'s out of 30.
We had a class like out of 60ish that got 1 A, 1 A-, and 2 B+'s...... :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:00 am

A'nold wrote:

I never took one practice exam and I only ever did even a few hypos. I learn more by listening than doing most times, so I just kind of took note on how to do it from arrow's post and leews and felt comfortable after my second hypo try and just went with it.
I see. Are you/would you recommend a 2nd reading of Arrows, some LEEWS work, GTM, etc? I did it all the first time around but haven't look at it since. As for your LRW....HOLY shit. I suppose it doesnt matter much for your rank since its so tough on everyone, but kinda sucks for transferring purposes. My school actually doesn't give out A+'s or A-'s so I feel like the B+ thing hurt me a bit.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:01 am

A'nold wrote:
stinger35 wrote:Also, A'nold, my fellow self doubter, if it makes you feel any better: I put less work into LRW this semester (it was already the only class I didn't get an A in last semester) and am almost assuredly down to a B or B+ level this time around. [I mean that class F'ing sucks. The curve is so rough at our school too, they only give out 4 A/A-'s out of 30.
What the shit kind of devil curve is that?!

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 am

I am enjoying this late night advice/freak out session- wanted to get an experienced take on this: drinking red wine when studying past midnight.

Just poured myself a glass, wondering how good or bad a decision it was

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 am

i recommend setting the curve very high with a cali in order to increase class rank

themoreyouknow.jpeg

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:02 am

stinger35 wrote:
A'nold wrote:

I see. Are you/would you recommend a 2nd reading of Arrows, some LEEWS work, GTM, etc? I did it all the first time around but haven't look at it since. As for your LRW....HOLY shit. I suppose it doesnt matter much for your rank since its so tough on everyone, but kinda sucks for transferring purposes. My school actually doesn't give out A+'s or A-'s so I feel like the B+ thing hurt me a bit.
No, that wasn't for legal writing, that was for another class. BUT, there were only 2 A's handed out for the last paper, so I hope I am one of the few A's when all is said and done, considering that class is worth double my other classes credit-wide this time around.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:03 am

Always Credited wrote:
A'nold wrote:
What the shit kind of devil curve is that?!
It's not really a "curve" when there are two discrete points for "excellent."

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:03 am

Penn State just sent me an email inviting me to apply to transfer there... that's... an interesting tactic.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:04 am

stinger35 wrote:I am enjoying this late night advice/freak out session- wanted to get an experienced take on this: drinking red wine when studying past midnight.

Just poured myself a glass, wondering how good or bad a decision it was
I will be drinking red wine in about 10 minutes, but will not limit myself to 1 glass. We shall see how that goes. 8)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”