My motivation to get good grades in law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mah2012

New

Re: My motivation to get good grades in law school

Post by mah2012 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Unemployed wrote:
bigben wrote:Flame. The only lawyers in private practice who work short hours are about to get laid off.
Or their firm dissolves. See #61.
See #2 as well. --LinkRemoved--

Whoops.

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:26 pm

--ImageRemoved--

FTFY

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:48 pm

Close Diamond wrote:--ImageRemoved--

FTFY
absolutely amazing.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:58 pm

FTFY
:lol: :lol:

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:08 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:

FTFY
absolutely amazing.
I wasn't kidding about that web/graphic design stuff. Imagine doing stuff like this all day for $50/hour with still enough time to troll TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:12 pm

Close Diamond wrote:I wasn't kidding about that web/graphic design stuff. Imagine doing stuff like this all day for $50/hour with still enough time to troll TLS.
I hate this argument.

Nobody bills $50/hour doing graphic law at a rate that lets them make biglaw money. That would be 3,200 hours billed to clients.

Biglaw is sweet because it combines a high hourly rate with basically as many hours as a human can work. Many other jobs have high hourly rates for the very reason that work is come and go.

Close Diamond

Bronze

Post by Close Diamond » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:18 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Close Diamond wrote:I wasn't kidding about that web/graphic design stuff. Imagine doing stuff like this all day for $50/hour with still enough time to troll TLS.
I hate this argument.

Nobody bills $50/hour doing graphic law at a rate that lets them make biglaw money. That would be 3,200 hours billed to clients.

Biglaw is sweet because it combines a high hourly rate with basically as many hours as a human can work. Many other jobs have high hourly rates for the very reason that work is come and go.
Absolutely true. I'm lucky to get 15+ hours in a week.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Also, to be perfectly precise, the 160K collapses to 80 dollar per hour billed if you assume 1) 2,000 hour target, 2) 50 working weeks. That also collapses to 40 billed hours per week.

Since most graphic artist types bill hours worked for clients and not hours spent engaging in the profession in general (advertising, etc.) it's much more fair to start by looking at the $80/week.

Yes, many bill more than 2K per year. But the compensation for that comes in a mixture of bonuses, not getting fired, and potentially making partner.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:24 pm

disco_barred wrote:Also, to be perfectly precise, the 160K collapses to 80 dollar per hour billed if you assume 1) 2,000 hour target, 2) 50 working weeks. That also collapses to 40 billed hours per week.

Since most graphic artist types bill hours worked for clients and not hours spent engaging in the profession in general (advertising, etc.) it's much more fair to start by looking at the $80/week.

Yes, many bill more than 2K per year. But the compensation for that comes in a mixture of bonuses, not getting fired, and potentially making partner.
You don't bill all the hours that you work. My understanding is that a typical ratio of billable to non-billable hours is 2:1. That would mean it takes 60 hours a week to bill 40, bringing your hourly calculation to 53.33.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:35 pm

bigben wrote:
disco_barred wrote:Also, to be perfectly precise, the 160K collapses to 80 dollar per hour billed if you assume 1) 2,000 hour target, 2) 50 working weeks. That also collapses to 40 billed hours per week.

You don't bill all the hours that you work. My understanding is that a typical ratio of billable to non-billable hours is 2:1. That would mean it takes 60 hours a week to bill 40, bringing your hourly calculation to 53.33.
huh?

Big law is 160,000 per year. Whether or not it is taken, there is an assumption of 2 weeks vacation. Most NYC type firms have a ~2,000 hour billable hour targets.

2000 / 50 = 40 billed hours per week.

My post was about the fact that you have to spend more hours than working. No shit it's more than 40 hours per week of actual office time.

Doesn't change the fact that it is fair to say a fresh NYC biglawyer is expected to bill at least 2000 hours and will be paid, at that rate, 80 dollars per hour billed.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:27 pm

disco_barred wrote:
bigben wrote:

huh?

Big law is 160,000 per year. Whether or not it is taken, there is an assumption of 2 weeks vacation. Most NYC type firms have a ~2,000 hour billable hour targets.

2000 / 50 = 40 billed hours per week.

My post was about the fact that you have to spend more hours than working. No shit it's more than 40 hours per week of actual office time.

Doesn't change the fact that it is fair to say a fresh NYC biglawyer is expected to bill at least 2000 hours and will be paid, at that rate, 80 dollars per hour billed.

Ok I see what you were getting at. But I don't think someone in a career like graphic design from home is logging many non-billable hours once they know what they are doing. Regardless, I think the point still stands that there are a lot of things that are MUCH easier to get into than biglaw that would pay a similar amount per hour worked. Admittedly, they may not include the opportunity--or the requirement--of steady 60 hour weeks.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sat May 01, 2010 10:57 pm

--ImageRemoved--

My motivation to... I can't remember what.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”