Encouragement and good luck thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Encouragement and good luck thread

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:14 am

Unemployed wrote:Could mistaken/unreasonable self-defense count as the kind of "extreme emotional disturbance" that would bump murder down to voluntary manslaughter?

It's possible, and would be very fact dependent. At common law (and as a result in many jurisdictions as they engage in their butchering of the MPC) there is often an independent doctrine of imperfect self defense. Self defense is a complete defense, a super justified excuse (see what I did there) for killing another human being. But if the claim fails while still objectively implicating less guilt on the part of the actor, the jurisdiction will likely seek lesser charges and/or make an imperfect self defense claim available.

At common law, the malice requirement (while usually not really meaning anything) might gum up any conviction for murder if there was a shaky self defense claim.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 am

Thank you all

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:the 19th?? you have soooo much time. I got 6 days betwee my last day of class and my first final

It's not my first final, it's just the one I have the most to do for. I have property on the 12th. Back to work!

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Good luck all!

2 exams to go. Then the drinking begins in earnest...

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:05 pm

A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Back from drinking. It was legit. We also got late night take out. I got a chicken sandwich, chicken nuggets, and onion rings. It was delicious. Back to studying tomorrow. Huzzah!

Congrats. Not on exams, but on late night drunkery.

Thank you! I'm feelin pretty good about that decision!

ONWARD TO CONLAW! (and summer!)

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:55 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
A'nold wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Back from drinking. It was legit. We also got late night take out. I got a chicken sandwich, chicken nuggets, and onion rings. It was delicious. Back to studying tomorrow. Huzzah!

Congrats. Not on exams, but on late night drunkery.

Thank you! I'm feelin pretty good about that decision!

ONWARD TO CONLAW! (and summer!)

Lunch (Shake Shack) with my classmates in Central Park. Studying in Central Park now.

Here's to all of us! One last time.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:00 pm

My professor gave us the following flowchart for commerce clause issues. I thought people might find it interesting. As always, your professor might have taught CC issues in another manner.
ISM: Congress regulating inter-state movement
LA: Local activity
SET: Substantial Effects Test
1: deferential
2: non-deferential
Last edited by mikeytwoshoes on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 270910 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:07 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:My professor gave us the following flowchart for commerce clause issues. I thought people might find it interesting.

Here's my version:

Code: Select all

How cranky is Scalia this morning?
          /              \
        Very         Only a little
         |                |
         V                V
      Invalid         Valid, scathing dissent

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:14 pm

GL everyone, I just finished my second to last exam of 1L.

Crazy.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:45 pm

mistergoft wrote:GL everyone, I just finished my second to last exam of 1L.

Crazy.

Today was last day of classes here. I was sad. Honestly, part of that sadness was knowing that as long as classes were still being held I wouldn't have finals yet, but part was just the idea that it would be the last time I'd have class with my section as a whole again.

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
mistergoft wrote:GL everyone, I just finished my second to last exam of 1L.

Crazy.

Today was last day of classes here. I was sad. Honestly, part of that sadness was knowing that as long as classes were still being held I wouldn't have finals yet, but part was just the idea that it would be the last time I'd have class with my section as a whole again.

The disbanding of your section is epic and melancholic.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat May 01, 2010 1:26 pm

I suppose I could put this in the rave thread, but it's been one year today since I was admitted to Fordham. That is a crazy milestone to think about. I don't think I've ever changed so much in one year. It's been the adventure of a lifetime, and though there have been some very rough moments, and a few choices I would have made differently, I feel a bit like celebrating. This is ridiculously premature, since my finals start in 12 days. I had better celebrate by hitting all the points on a property prep test.

Has anyone else had thoughts like these a year after admission?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:39 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:I suppose I could put this in the rave thread, but it's been one year today since I was admitted to Fordham. That is a crazy milestone to think about. I don't think I've ever changed so much in one year. It's been the adventure of a lifetime, and though there have been some very rough moments, and a few choices I would have made differently, I feel a bit like celebrating. This is ridiculously premature, since my finals start in 12 days. I had better celebrate by hitting all the points on a property prep test.

Has anyone else had thoughts like these a year after admission?

My thoughts on admission to UF in retrospect: despite doing relatively well and enjoying the Florida weather, I can't help but thinking: "why didn't I just retake the lsat?" :oops:

Oh well. I will still celebrate the end of 1L.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 01, 2010 1:39 pm

mistergoft wrote:My thoughts on admission to UF in retrospect: despite doing relatively well and enjoying the Florida weather, I can't help but thinking: "why didn't I just retake the lsat?" :oops:

Oh well. I will still [strike]celebrate the end of 1L[/strike] transfer into Yale.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:42 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
mistergoft wrote:My thoughts on admission to UF in retrospect: despite doing relatively well and enjoying the Florida weather, I can't help but thinking: "why didn't I just retake the lsat?" :oops:

Oh well. I will still [strike]celebrate the end of 1L[/strike] transfer into [strike]Yale[/strike] Touro.

Edited for accuracy.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat May 01, 2010 1:51 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

Oh well. I will still [strike]celebrate the end of 1L[/strike] transfer into Yale.

WIN.

I also wish I had retaken, but mainly because I know I didn't prepare properly, and it would've been awesome to have merit money.

Postby 270910 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:09 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

WIN.

I also wish I had retaken, but mainly because I know I didn't prepare properly, and it would've been awesome to have merit money.

None of that team! Time only moves in one direction. We can't be anywhere other than where we are but we can go anywhere from here. Regret is the most useless possible emotion outside of just enough reflection to learn from choices that fell short of ideal.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat May 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Regret is not an emotion, it is a fact of life!

A fact disproved by copious amounts of alcohol.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat May 01, 2010 2:24 pm

disco_barred wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

WIN.

None of that team! Time only moves in one direction. We can't be anywhere other than where we are but we can go anywhere from here. Regret is the most useless possible emotion outside of just enough reflection to learn from choices that fell short of ideal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Kvu6Kgp88

I've always kind of wished I had the right voice type to sing it. Live, learn, appreciate. Outline. <3

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Sat May 01, 2010 3:43 pm

mistergoft wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:

Oh well. I will still [strike]celebrate the end of 1L[/strike] transfer into [strike]Yale[/strike] Touro.

Edited for accuracy.

Lulz at Touro. I don't know why but that was the perfect school for that sentence.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 3:01 am

If I may vent... I'm going though old conlaw exams and the respective model answers, and I don't understand why we had to read all those commerce cases. All the model answers only use Darby, Lopez, Morrison, and Raich (+Wickard). Same goes for all the substantive due process + economic regulation cases. The model answers only use Lee Optical to dismiss SDP objections.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun May 02, 2010 3:12 am

Unemployed wrote:If I may vent... I'm going though old conlaw exams and the respective model answers, and I don't understand why we had to read all those commerce cases. All the model answers only use Darby, Lopez, Morrison, and Raich (+Wickard). Same goes for all the substantive due process + economic regulation cases. The model answers only use Lee Optical to dismiss SDP objections.

If I may vent, at least your professors gave you model answers. I have a grand total of four sample exams from my professors, and not one answer. This is the height of frustration.

You Gotta Have Faith

Postby You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 02, 2010 3:19 am

Very nice thread :D

Good luck on finals everybody!

Oh, and to those of you still in the middle of the application process, hang in there!

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Sun May 02, 2010 3:20 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Unemployed wrote:If I may vent... I'm going though old conlaw exams and the respective model answers, and I don't understand why we had to read all those commerce cases. All the model answers only use Darby, Lopez, Morrison, and Raich (+Wickard). Same goes for all the substantive due process + economic regulation cases. The model answers only use Lee Optical to dismiss SDP objections.

If I may vent, at least your professors gave you model answers. I have a grand total of four sample exams from my professors, and not one answer. This is the height of frustration.

Sorry. That's awful. I don't know what I would do without model answers...

Good night everyone.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Sun May 02, 2010 3:28 am

In my 7 classes I've taken this year that have finals (aka every class but legal writing), only 1 professor has provided model answers.

And to add, only 3 profs provided more than 1 practice test. 1 professor provided 0 practice tests.
Last edited by apper123 on Sun May 02, 2010 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”