Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
desperate4lawschool
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:28 pm

Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby desperate4lawschool » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:40 pm

I'm not looking for some smart ass answer, just the truth (even if it hurts).

I've heard v. conflicting stories about job prospects for graduates who want to go into IP. I know I can do the obvious and work harder on my GPA, but truthfully, pulling it up above a 3.0 would be a miracle of its own. As a part-time student and working full-time, I don't have the time many full-time students have. With relevant experience (about 5 yrs of PTO or law firm and your PTO reg. number), what are the chances getting interviews at big and/or medium law firms? Rumor has it that the standards for IP are low due to the demand; I've heard others say that it'd be hard or close to impossible to pull a law firm job. Which is it? Is it true that they start you off at 2nd yr associate with the work experience that you have? What is the relative starting salary? Reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it's even worth going to law school anymore if I am going to graduate with no job prospect or if I end up making the same as I do now.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP


lol.

caoyun
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:03 am

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby caoyun » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:30 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:Job Prospects


lol.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Unless you're EE gtfo

5yrs of experience is only worth anything if you've been working as an agent during those years.

jhett
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:36 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jhett » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:20 pm

It depends on your area of technical expertise. EEs fare much better than CS, and you need a PhD for bio-related work.

In a good economy, your undergrad GPA was the most important. ITE, you probably need stellar undergrad and law school GPAs.

Relevant work experience is not as big of an advantage as it used to be since there are many laid-off patent lawyers out there searching for jobs. And there is no way you will start higher than a 1st year unless you are in a firm's patent agent program.

In your situation, it will be rather difficult to land a job at a high-paying general practice firm or IP boutique. Small and mid-size boutiques are a possibility... salaries there are usually in the high five figures.

ok2bedifferent
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:30 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby ok2bedifferent » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:48 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:lol.


Shut up Beavis.

caoyun wrote:lol.


Shut up Butthead.

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Unless you're EE gtfo

5yrs of experience is only worth anything if you've been working as an agent during those years.


Why don't YOU "gtfo"? Why do you think EE is the only demanded field? IP is actually in need of a lot of CS/biomed folks. So where you got that information, it's obviously wrong. Whether the OP is an agent or not, I don't s/he is flipping burgers at the golden arches. S/he said it was PTO or law firm. Learn to read.

To the OP: It's really up to you whether you want to finish law school. It sounds like you've given up on yourself. Whatever people may say on this website, you're talking to ignorant and elitist folks who think that big firms are the end all, be all. For all you know, they're at a T4 school still hating. I have talked to many IP lawyers and many actually liked the fact the went to more IP-focused firms (instead of big general practice ones) because they got more out of the experience. I am sure that your experience will count for something. Meanwhile, do your best to bring your GPA up and start networking. Good luck!

User avatar
ArthurEdens
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby ArthurEdens » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Unless you're EE gtfo

5yrs of experience is only worth anything if you've been working as an agent during those years.


Let me guess, you have an EE background? Please stop adding to the socially awkward engineer stereotype.

OP, how does your 2.5 GPA rank in your law class? Just from anecdotal evidence, it's brutal out there for IP. I heard of one law student with a PhD who couldn't get a job, despite being in the top half of his class (T25). All of this pessimism shouldn't stop you from trying though. If you're already deep into your degree, you might as well finish it off.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am

Nope, I'm not EE.

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 pm

desperate4lawschool wrote:I'm not looking for some smart ass answer, just the truth (even if it hurts).

I've heard v. conflicting stories about job prospects for graduates who want to go into IP. I know I can do the obvious and work harder on my GPA, but truthfully, pulling it up above a 3.0 would be a miracle of its own. As a part-time student and working full-time, I don't have the time many full-time students have. With relevant experience (about 5 yrs of PTO or law firm and your PTO reg. number), what are the chances getting interviews at big and/or medium law firms? Rumor has it that the standards for IP are low due to the demand; I've heard others say that it'd be hard or close to impossible to pull a law firm job. Which is it? Is it true that they start you off at 2nd yr associate with the work experience that you have? What is the relative starting salary? Reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it's even worth going to law school anymore if I am going to graduate with no job prospect or if I end up making the same as I do now.


IP law (typically) requires Master or PhD in engineering or hard science. You (typically) can't do it without an upper degree. If you get that and you do well in law school you should be able to find an IP job. Or you could work at the PTO and then move into a law firm to get paid more.
Last edited by jbjb1 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:49 pm

jbjb1 wrote:IP law requires Master or PhD in engineering or hard science. You can't do it without an upper degree. If you get that and you do well in law school you should be able to find an IP job. Or you could work at the PTO and then move into a law firm to get paid more.

Image

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby merichard87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 pm

jbjb1 wrote:
desperate4lawschool wrote:I'm not looking for some smart ass answer, just the truth (even if it hurts).

I've heard v. conflicting stories about job prospects for graduates who want to go into IP. I know I can do the obvious and work harder on my GPA, but truthfully, pulling it up above a 3.0 would be a miracle of its own. As a part-time student and working full-time, I don't have the time many full-time students have. With relevant experience (about 5 yrs of PTO or law firm and your PTO reg. number), what are the chances getting interviews at big and/or medium law firms? Rumor has it that the standards for IP are low due to the demand; I've heard others say that it'd be hard or close to impossible to pull a law firm job. Which is it? Is it true that they start you off at 2nd yr associate with the work experience that you have? What is the relative starting salary? Reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it's even worth going to law school anymore if I am going to graduate with no job prospect or if I end up making the same as I do now.


IP law requires Master or PhD in engineering or hard science. You can't do it without an upper degree. If you get that and you do well in law school you should be able to find an IP job. Or you could work at the PTO and then move into a law firm to get paid more.



Now this silly shit made me stop wtf I was doing. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Exit to the left immediately!

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:IP law requires Master or PhD in engineering or hard science. You can't do it without an upper degree. If you get that and you do well in law school you should be able to find an IP job. Or you could work at the PTO and then move into a law firm to get paid more.

Image



I don't get it....what are you laughing about?

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 pm

merichard87 wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:
desperate4lawschool wrote:I'm not looking for some smart ass answer, just the truth (even if it hurts).

I've heard v. conflicting stories about job prospects for graduates who want to go into IP. I know I can do the obvious and work harder on my GPA, but truthfully, pulling it up above a 3.0 would be a miracle of its own. As a part-time student and working full-time, I don't have the time many full-time students have. With relevant experience (about 5 yrs of PTO or law firm and your PTO reg. number), what are the chances getting interviews at big and/or medium law firms? Rumor has it that the standards for IP are low due to the demand; I've heard others say that it'd be hard or close to impossible to pull a law firm job. Which is it? Is it true that they start you off at 2nd yr associate with the work experience that you have? What is the relative starting salary? Reason I'm asking is because I'm wondering if it's even worth going to law school anymore if I am going to graduate with no job prospect or if I end up making the same as I do now.


IP law requires Master or PhD in engineering or hard science. You can't do it without an upper degree. If you get that and you do well in law school you should be able to find an IP job. Or you could work at the PTO and then move into a law firm to get paid more.



Now this silly shit made me stop wtf I was doing. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Exit to the left immediately!


What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's current position. But what I do understand is that there are a few jackarses trying to knock him down.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 pm

jbjb1 wrote:What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's current position. But what I do understand is that there are a few jackarses trying to knock him down.

Wrong. Nothing you said is correct. What you said is just completely wrong. Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no knowledge about.

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's current position. But what I do understand is that there are a few jackarses trying to knock him down.

Wrong. Nothing you said is correct. What you said is just completely wrong. Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no knowledge about.


Oh but I do know. Do you think you can work a good IP job without a Master's or PhD? think again.

(edited) and stop being so hostile.
Last edited by jbjb1 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's current position. But what I do understand is that there are a few jackarses trying to knock him down.

Wrong. Nothing you said is correct. What you said is just completely wrong. Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no knowledge about.



btw, that's a nice post count you got going. very impressive. tls extraordinaire.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby merichard87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 pm

jbjb1 wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's current position. But what I do understand is that there are a few jackarses trying to knock him down.

Wrong. Nothing you said is correct. What you said is just completely wrong. Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no knowledge about.


Oh but I do know. Do you think you can work a good IP job without a Master's or PhD? think again.

Happy URM status, Leeroy Jenkins...and stop being so hostile.


Nobody is trying to knock the OP down. Its you spitting incorrect info. A BS in engineering is sufficient for big law/in-house counsel IP work. When you get into life sciences such as bio and chem you need advanced degrees. And please leave the racial jokes on autoadmit where they belong. Thanks.

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:41 pm

merichard87 wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:What I said was absolutely correct. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP's current position. But what I do understand is that there are a few jackarses trying to knock him down.

Wrong. Nothing you said is correct. What you said is just completely wrong. Stop talking about stuff you clearly have no knowledge about.


Oh but I do know. Do you think you can work a good IP job without a Master's or PhD? think again.

Happy URM status, Leeroy Jenkins...and stop being so hostile.


Nobody is trying to knock the OP down. Its you spitting incorrect info. A BS in engineering is sufficient for big law/in-house counsel IP work. When you get into life sciences such as bio and chem you need advanced degrees. And please leave the racial jokes on autoadmit where they belong. Thanks.


I noticed that when Leeroy signs off, you automatically sign on. You are the same as Mr. Jenkins! Whoa, revelation!

Most IP jobs do require advanced knowledge. I still stand by that.

sorry about the racial remark...edited my prior post.

User avatar
merichard87
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby merichard87 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 pm

lol not only am I a girl but my name is definitely not Leroy. Nice try though.

edit: And I think many IP jobs would require more WE than actual education but of course I'm sure it would depend on the employer. Oh well, agree to disagree and press on.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 pm

jbjb1 wrote:Oh but I do know. Do you think you can work a good IP job without a Master's or PhD? think again.

(edited) and stop being so hostile.

I don't have to think about it. All of my friends who have only BS in engineering have gotten market positions ITE. HTH, flame. Btw they aren't legal superstars at their T20 schools.

I'm not a URM. Nor do I have an alt I use on the same web browser to stack posts against people like you. Nor do I see why my post count is relevant to the discussion of how you are wrong.

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
jbjb1 wrote:Oh but I do know. Do you think you can work a good IP job without a Master's or PhD? think again.

(edited) and stop being so hostile.

I don't have to think about it. All of my friends who have only BS in engineering have gotten market positions ITE. HTH, flame.


I should have specified Patent law, not IP law. Majority of people who move up high in Patent Law have an advanced degree. Those who don't likely did very well in their college engineering or science classes and did some type of research.

For the OP I would say a Master's is needed.

You should go back and read your initial smart alec reply. That kind of attitude just isn't necessary.

HTH. And I say this with good intentions, please get a life...nobody should be posting 16k messages.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 pm

jbjb1 wrote:I should have specified Patent law, not IP law. Majority of people who move up high in Patent Law have an advanced degree. Those who don't likely did very well in their engineering or science classes and did some type of research.

I am talking about patent law. My friends with only B.S. in engineering who attend T20 schools and are not exactly at the very top of their classes have gotten market positions ITE doing patent prosecution. And even assuming 'Majority of people who move up high...have an advanced degree" is true, your original statement is blatantly false.

For the OP I would say a Master's is needed.

Because he has a crappy GPA, possibly. But that bears no holding on how you're just wrong.

You should go back and read your initial smart alec reply. That kind of attitude just isn't necessary.

You making obviously false statements isn't necessary either. fyi my first post in this thread was a joke of hyperbole. Get over yourself. Also, making racist remarks about someone before you even know what race the poster is? You're a douche.

HTH. And I say this with good intentions, please get a life...nobody should be posting 16k messages.

Why don't you go fuck yourself? You know nothing about me. What kind of life does someone who intentionally enters threads to make false statements have?

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Master's or PhD degrees aren't absolutely necessary but they are strongly encouraged for patent law. You should do some research on that.

end of discussion, jerk.

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm

jbjb1 wrote:Master's or PhD degrees aren't absolutely necessary but they are strongly encouraged for patent law. You should do some research on that.

end of discussion, jerk.

According to you, they are required.
jbjb1 wrote:IP law requires Master or PhD in engineering or hard science. You can't do it without an upper degree. If you get that and you do well in law school you should be able to find an IP job. Or you could work at the PTO and then move into a law firm to get paid more.

Congratulations on admitting you are wrong while ad hominem'ing it up.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Job Prospects for T30 student w/ 2.5 GPA in IP

Postby wiseowl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 pm

jbjb1 wrote:Master's or PhD degrees aren't absolutely necessary but they are strongly encouraged for patent law. You should do some research on that.

end of discussion, jerk.


you've already been told you don't know what you're talking about. you're really just making a fool out of yourself.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], pvnyc and 16 guests