Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
XxSpyKEx

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:52 pm

engineer wrote:So, this advice may be against the rules at your school, possibly even an honor code violation, but luckily my school is silent on the issue. We have a bunch of public terminals here, and tonight I went to each one and sifted through the "My Documents" folder for anything of interest. I found maybe 15 outlines and a whole slew of other things--answers to back exams, appellate briefs, etc.

Obviously, don't rely on anything you find; since I'm pretty far along in my studying, I've been trying to get my hands on a few more outlines without having to pay Outline Depot. This was my golden ticket.

For as intelligent as law students are, some sure don't exercise a hell of a lot of common sense when it comes to what they leave on public computers!!

You know you could simply ask people for outlines, right? ... People that already took the class will gladly give you their outline because they really have no reason not to (it's not like they are competing with you for a grade, nor do they have any use for the outline whatsoever anymore).

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 pm

engineer wrote:
ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.

Dear Entire Law Review:

Please forgive this blanket e-mail. I don't really have time to get to know any of you, nor do I really care enough. I don't really know which, if any, of you had the same profs as me during your 1L year, but for those of you who did, please send me your outlines. That would really be awesome!

Thanks,
engineer.

...right

Dear [Name],

Hi. My name is [Name], and I'm a 1L at [School]. I noticed on the school website that you are on law review [or so-and-so mentioned you are on law review], and I was wondering if I could meet with you to get some advice about how to do well in 1L classes. Would you be willing to meet with me next week [dates and times]?

Thanks,
[Name]

-----

You meet and get some general exam-taking advice (most of which you probably already know from reading TLS), and if they don't offer to get you outlines/exam answers for your classes, then you mention that you heard from another 1L that it can be useful to get outlines and/or exam answers, and you ask for help getting some for your profs.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:38 pm

ggocat wrote:
engineer wrote:
ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.

Dear Entire Law Review:

Please forgive this blanket e-mail. I don't really have time to get to know any of you, nor do I really care enough. I don't really know which, if any, of you had the same profs as me during your 1L year, but for those of you who did, please send me your outlines. That would really be awesome!

Thanks,
engineer.

...right

Dear [Name],

Hi. My name is [Name], and I'm a 1L at [School]. I noticed on the school website that you are on law review [or so-and-so mentioned you are on law review], and I was wondering if I could meet with you to get some advice about how to do well in 1L classes. Would you be willing to meet with me next week [dates and times]?

Thanks,
[Name]

-----

You meet and get some general exam-taking advice (most of which you probably already know from reading TLS), and if they don't offer to get you outlines/exam answers for your classes, then you mention that you heard from another 1L that it can be useful to get outlines and/or exam answers, and you ask for help getting some for your profs.

LOL. Don’t take this the wrong way, but someone sent me a random email like that I would either 1) ignore it, 2) tell the person to go fuck off… I can’t speak for others, but I know I definitely would not be meeting with some random 1L to give them advice on how to do well in 1L classes. In fact, how would you even know that they have good grades? A lot of people on law review write on. I, however, would have no issue with passing along an outline because that requires 0 effort on my part (whereas, physically meeting with a bunch of random 1Ls would be a pain). Often times at schools law review members will do a general presentation to the entire class about taking 1L exams (prior to the end of the first semester). After something like that I could see that be a good chance to approach a LR member to then request an outline.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 am

nightlight wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?

Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.

if that's the case then the locus owner has the superior claim to those outlines....good luck in court OP

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:42 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
ggocat wrote:
engineer wrote:

Dear Entire Law Review:

Thanks,
engineer.

...right

Dear [Name],

Thanks,
[Name]

-----

LOL. Don’t take this the wrong way, but someone sent me a random email like that I would either 1) ignore it, 2) tell the person to go fuck off… I can’t speak for others, but I know I definitely would not be meeting with some random 1L to give them advice on how to do well in 1L classes. In fact, how would you even know that they have good grades? A lot of people on law review write on. I, however, would have no issue with passing along an outline because that requires 0 effort on my part (whereas, physically meeting with a bunch of random 1Ls would be a pain). Often times at schools law review members will do a general presentation to the entire class about taking 1L exams (prior to the end of the first semester). After something like that I could see that be a good chance to approach a LR member to then request an outline.

Yea, but don;'t take this the wrong way, you have all ways been a dick. :P

I would be OK with Go cat's version, but blanket e-mail to LR would not get a response back from me, personlized maybe

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”