Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby engineer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:44 am

So, this advice may be against the rules at your school, possibly even an honor code violation, but luckily my school is silent on the issue. We have a bunch of public terminals here, and tonight I went to each one and sifted through the "My Documents" folder for anything of interest. I found maybe 15 outlines and a whole slew of other things--answers to back exams, appellate briefs, etc.

Obviously, don't rely on anything you find; since I'm pretty far along in my studying, I've been trying to get my hands on a few more outlines without having to pay Outline Depot. This was my golden ticket.

For as intelligent as law students are, some sure don't exercise a hell of a lot of common sense when it comes to what they leave on public computers!!

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby 270910 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 am

In before the shit storm!

User avatar
LawandOrder
Posts: 611
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby LawandOrder » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 am

engineer wrote:
For as intelligent as law students are, some sure don't exercise a hell of a lot of common sense when it comes to what they leave on public computers!!


Ironic statement is ironic.

User avatar
username1
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby username1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:21 am

engineer wrote:So, this advice may be against the rules at your school, possibly even an honor code violation, but luckily my school is silent on the issue.


How every great post has begun.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:47 pm

Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:51 pm

engineer wrote:So, this advice may be against the rules at your school, possibly even an honor code violation, but luckily my school is silent on the issue. We have a bunch of public terminals here, and tonight I went to each one and sifted through the "My Documents" folder for anything of interest. I found maybe 15 outlines and a whole slew of other things--answers to back exams, appellate briefs, etc.

Obviously, don't rely on anything you find; since I'm pretty far along in my studying, I've been trying to get my hands on a few more outlines without having to pay Outline Depot. This was my golden ticket.

For as intelligent as law students are, some sure don't exercise a hell of a lot of common sense when it comes to what they leave on public computers!!


really?

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby seespotrun » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:52 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?


Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby seespotrun » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

engineer wrote:So, this advice may be against the rules at your school, possibly even an honor code violation, but luckily my school is silent on the issue. We have a bunch of public terminals here, and tonight I went to each one and sifted through the "My Documents" folder for anything of interest. I found maybe 15 outlines and a whole slew of other things--answers to back exams, appellate briefs, etc.

Obviously, don't rely on anything you find; since I'm pretty far along in my studying, I've been trying to get my hands on a few more outlines without having to pay Outline Depot. This was my golden ticket.

For as intelligent as law students are, some sure don't exercise a hell of a lot of common sense when it comes to what they leave on public computers!!


Genius.

User avatar
nightlight
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby nightlight » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 pm

seespotrun wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?


Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby macattaq » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

This is brill. Good call.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm

do you not have logins at law school with unique my docs folders?

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby engineer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:54 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:do you not have logins at law school with unique my docs folders?


For the life of me, I couldn't figure that one out. They change the settings on the computer so that you can't do anything to it, but there is a public "tmp" folder, which is My Documents. Alternatively, and I guess this may be a little further down the "immoral" scale for some of you, there's always the actual temporary folder. Even if your school has a unique "My Documents" folder for each login, there's a chance (possibly even a good chance) that the temporary folder isn't emptied between logins. I'm going to explore that option tonight.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:00 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger35
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby stinger35 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 pm

I have never even sat at a computer at my school and I don't think anyone else does either


However, I did this a couple times in undergrad. It was cool.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby 20160810 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:45 pm

seespotrun wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?


Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.


Thought about this, because the file is in a logical place and if pressed they would know where to go back and find it. But it's also safe to say that they have their own copy of it on a flash drive or something, and so the copy left on the computer lab computer is probably something they have no intention of ever going back to look for or use again.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby seespotrun » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:17 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?


Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.


Thought about this, because the file is in a logical place and if pressed they would know where to go back and find it. But it's also safe to say that they have their own copy of it on a flash drive or something, and so the copy left on the computer lab computer is probably something they have no intention of ever going back to look for or use again.


Certainly an exam-worthy argument. However, the act of saving a document in a folder seems more consistent with an intent to return. The deciding factor, IMO, is the clear intention of placing the object in the given location - that is, saving the document in a particular folder. In a jurisdiction that only requires intent to place, as opposed to intent to return, it would almost certainly be mislaid. In a jurisdiction requiring intent to return, your argument becomes more and more relevant, and the burden of proof/persuasion would likely be the deciding factor.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby engineer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:48 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?


Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.


Thought about this, because the file is in a logical place and if pressed they would know where to go back and find it. But it's also safe to say that they have their own copy of it on a flash drive or something, and so the copy left on the computer lab computer is probably something they have no intention of ever going back to look for or use again.


I'm siding with abandonment on this one. However, it's digital data, so I don't know if we can actually say that the the owner voluntarily and intentionally relinquished ownership of it with the intent to give up both title and possession. Intellectual property differs from personal property and real property in that it's capable of being duplicated or cloned. Because of this, I think there's some sort of fundamental difference as to lost/mislaid/abandoned property.

Taking a step back, however, I'm noticing how horrifically sad this entire thread is.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 pm

engineer wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:Copy of outline left on public computer = abandoned property?


Probably a stronger argument for it being mislaid.


Thought about this, because the file is in a logical place and if pressed they would know where to go back and find it. But it's also safe to say that they have their own copy of it on a flash drive or something, and so the copy left on the computer lab computer is probably something they have no intention of ever going back to look for or use again.


I'm siding with abandonment on this one. However, it's digital data, so I don't know if we can actually say that the the owner voluntarily and intentionally relinquished ownership of it with the intent to give up both title and possession. Intellectual property differs from personal property and real property in that it's capable of being duplicated or cloned. Because of this, I think there's some sort of fundamental difference as to lost/mislaid/abandoned property.

Taking a step back, however, I'm noticing how horrifically sad this entire thread is.

This

The fact that others might +1 this is worse.

As usual TTT-LS gives TCR.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby ggocat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:51 pm

ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.


ROFLMAO I seriously spit coke on my keybaord.

Also i leave stuff in the my docs file all the time its how i speard my trojan HD drive note eating before finals time virus

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby ggocat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Matthies wrote:
ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.

ROFLMAO I seriously spit coke on my keybaord.

That wouldn't work at Denver?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:19 pm

ggocat wrote:
Matthies wrote:
ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.

ROFLMAO I seriously spit coke on my keybaord.

That wouldn't work at Denver?


I was just reminded of the thing on above the law where they posted some person's e-mail who spammed the whole law review with that question. I totally agree with you on conatcting upper classmane, but that just brought that post up in my mind.

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby engineer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:32 pm

ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.


Dear Entire Law Review:

Please forgive this blanket e-mail. I don't really have time to get to know any of you, nor do I really care enough. I don't really know which, if any, of you had the same profs as me during your 1L year, but for those of you who did, please send me your outlines. That would really be awesome!

Thanks,
engineer.



...right

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby Matthies » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 pm

engineer wrote:
ggocat wrote:Why can't you just get outlines / exam answers from upperclassmen? Just e-mail someone on law review and ask.


Dear Entire Law Review:

Please forgive this blanket e-mail. I don't really have time to get to know any of you, nor do I really care enough. I don't really know which, if any, of you had the same profs as me during your 1L year, but for those of you who did, please send me your outlines. That would really be awesome!

Thanks,
engineer.



...right


I think that was the jist of the e-mail I can't find it on ABL but it was like that, not personlized at all, I just think its funny as hell, big balls on that kid

User avatar
let/them/eat/cake
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Re: Pro-tip: raid the "My Documents" folder on public computers!

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
engineer wrote:
For as intelligent as law students are, some sure don't exercise a hell of a lot of common sense when it comes to what they leave on public computers!!


Ironic statement is ironic.


In a thread that ran the gamut from hilarity to analysadness and back again, this is my favorite part.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eg13 and 10 guests