MBA question from current Law Student

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jdmbaaspirant
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm

MBA question from current Law Student

Postby jdmbaaspirant » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 pm

I posted this question on the http://www.top-b-schools.com but that site doesn't have as many users as this one.
(link to question on the other site: --LinkRemoved--

Here was my question:

I am in law school except that my Law School GPA is actually MUCH lower than my undergraduate GPA. I looked all over on other boards but I could not find anything. I noticed that most B-schools don't talk about grad school GPA's but they seem to require the transcripts from those schools. However, I know that law schools also required grad school transcripts but as everyone applying to law school already knows, they only REALLY care about the undergrad GPA, and NOT the grad school GPA. Is B-School similar? I mean, for rankings purposes, they don't really report the grad school GPA, but then again, B-schools seem more holistic and care about experience and other soft factors more so than law schools.

Maybe some of you have either applied to B-school after Law School or already have an MBA and had other grad school degrees. For some reason, information on this topic is very scarce. Any insight? Again, to recap: I have a LOW Law School GPA and a VERY high UG GPA. Provided I get some interesting legal/non legal/business experience and do well on the GMAT (I did pretty well on the LSAT), will I be admitted to a top B-School with a HIGH UG GPA/HIGH GMAT/LOW JD GPA?

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby Black-Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:56 pm

Business Schools "don't care" about your GPA in general, regardless if it's grad or undergrad. Practically speaking, they might care a little about your UG GPA, but I don't see why they would care about your LS GPA in isolation.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:05 pm

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby Black-Blue » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:55 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Just curious, why are going from ls to biz school?

2d'ed

jdmbaaspirant
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby jdmbaaspirant » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm going to B-school because I realize that there is a glut of attorneys out there. My LS GPA is pretty bad. I'm only at a T20. I disagree that the UG GPA doesn't matter though. I know for a fact that it DOES matter. It just matters a lot less than for Law School admissions. I have a pretty high UG GPA. I am pretty entrepreneurial in nature and law doesn't seem like the BEST fit for me as a result of that. Additionally, I do pretty well on standardized exams. I figure with a high UG GPA, and a high GMAT, I can have a good shot at a top B-school. I was just curious as to the effect my LOW Law School GPA will have on the application.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby baboon309 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:15 pm

jdmbaaspirant wrote:I'm going to B-school because I realize that there is a glut of attorneys out there. My LS GPA is pretty bad. I'm only at a T20. I disagree that the UG GPA doesn't matter though. I know for a fact that it DOES matter. It just matters a lot less than for Law School admissions. I have a pretty high UG GPA. I am pretty entrepreneurial in nature and law doesn't seem like the BEST fit for me as a result of that. Additionally, I do pretty well on standardized exams. I figure with a high UG GPA, and a high GMAT, I can have a good shot at a top B-school. I was just curious as to the effect my LOW Law School GPA will have on the application.


How many years of full time working experience do you have?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:05 am

Why do you even want to send your LS transcript to the school? Just don't even mention it and they won't know or care... MBA applications are a lot different and a lot less standardized then law school applications. The equivalent to LSAC doesn't exist. I did my MBA prior to law school but when I applied I only sent in my transcript from graduating institution (so 2 years, 70 credits, worth of classes). Surprisingly, no schools asked for the rest of my transcripts even though they said wanted all transcripts on their applications. I'm 100% confident that I wouldn't have gotten into some of the schools I did if I had sent all my transcripts. Also, B-schools DO care about UG grades, it's just that they can't get applicants with as high of grades to apply (e.g. over 2/3s of the class typically consists of business UGs and engineering UGs, both majors that don't typically have sky high UGPAs, unlike liberal arts majors). I KNOW my UGPA is the reason I got into some of the schools I did (I was over the 75% percentile in terms of UGPA everywhere with just the last 70 credits transcript being given).

Make sure you leave law school off your resume as well if you aren't planning on sending in your LS transcript (obviously, you are going to need to come up with some excuse to fill that gap)... Obviously this all sounds a little unscrupulous. However, it's not like you have to worry about not getting licensed to practice in the profession after graduation (as a result of not sending in something that schools never personally asked you to send in once you applied).

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:56 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:Why do you even want to send your LS transcript to the school? Just don't even mention it and they won't know or care... MBA applications are a lot different and a lot less standardized then law school applications. The equivalent to LSAC doesn't exist. I did my MBA prior to law school but when I applied I only sent in my transcript from graduating institution (so 2 years, 70 credits, worth of classes). Surprisingly, no schools asked for the rest of my transcripts even though they said wanted all transcripts on their applications. I'm 100% confident that I wouldn't have gotten into some of the schools I did if I had sent all my transcripts. Also, B-schools DO care about UG grades, it's just that they can't get applicants with as high of grades to apply (e.g. over 2/3s of the class typically consists of business UGs and engineering UGs, both majors that don't typically have sky high UGPAs, unlike liberal arts majors). I KNOW my UGPA is the reason I got into some of the schools I did (I was over the 75% percentile in terms of UGPA everywhere with just the last 70 credits transcript being given).

Make sure you leave law school off your resume as well if you aren't planning on sending in your LS transcript (obviously, you are going to need to come up with some excuse to fill that gap)... Obviously this all sounds a little unscrupulous. However, it's not like you have to worry about not getting licensed to practice in the profession after graduation (as a result of not sending in something that schools never personally asked you to send in once you applied).


you have to submit all your transcripts. but you're right, they won't care.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Just curious, why are going from ls to biz school?

Abandon all hope ye 0Ls who enter here.

Law is neither fun nor easy and it's not even profitable anymore.

jbjb1
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: MBA question from current Law Student

Postby jbjb1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Just curious, why are going from ls to biz school?

Abandon all hope ye 0Ls who enter here.

Law is neither fun nor easy and it's not even profitable anymore.


yup.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hairbear7, RareExports and 13 guests