Law Firm Internship Summer Before Law School?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dvd

Law Firm Internship Summer Before Law School?

Postby dvd » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:16 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Law Firm Internship Summer Before Law School?

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 am

No and no.

That's a little overly general... but law firms have next to no incentive to take on interns before they've had any legal training. And firms are so picky about 1L summer hiring (where picky = often not doing it at all) that such minimal experience with them, in the unlikely event you could obtain it, would be unlikely to parlay into a summer job.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:52 am

disco_barred wrote:[strike]No and no.[/strike]

[strike]That's a little overly general... but law firms have next to no incentive to take on interns before they've had any legal training. And firms are so picky about 1L summer hiring (where picky = often not doing it at all) that such minimal experience with them, in the unlikely event you could obtain it, would be unlikely to parlay into a summer job[/strike].

If you are not white and in T14, then the answer is yes and yes.
You could probably get it through SEO. If you networking hard while you're there, you might be able to get something for 1L summer.

Postby 270910 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:54 am

baboon309 wrote:If you are not white and in T14, then the answer is yes and yes.

Sure. That's a pretty obvious exception. You'll also note that I pointed out my answer was a little over general. No need to whip out the strike tags -.-

username1

Postby username1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 pm

I am not sure what you are looking, but I spamed my resume to all local firms that I could find a website for, the PD office and the DA. I did this in November indicating I was starting in January. I got one firm call back and the DA called back.

The Friday of my first week in law school was my first day volunteering with the DA. The firm interviewed me in my second week but I did not get that job. I hustled after that and managed another interview with another firm and now have a paid summer clerkship starting right after finals. My resume had something to do with it but my point is just get out there and hustle. There was a great thread but I can't find it anymore. The guy basically outlined all of the "hustle" tactics for landing summer employment/internship for the DA office. Hit the courthouse, talk to DA's etc.. but IMO those same techniques can get you paid summer work too. Good Luck.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:40 pm

With no legal experience whatever internship you will be able to get will likely be one where you make copies, set schedules, answer phones, and get coffee. This will do nothing for you future summer internship searches.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 pm

username1 wrote:I am not sure what you are looking, but I spamed my resume to all local firms that I could find a website for, the PD office and the DA. I did this in November indicating I was starting in January. I got one firm call back and the DA called back.

The Friday of my first week in law school was my first day volunteering with the DA. The firm interviewed me in my second week but I did not get that job. I hustled after that and managed another interview with another firm and now have a paid summer clerkship starting right after finals. My resume had something to do with it but my point is just get out there and hustle. There was a great thread but I can't find it anymore. The guy basically outlined all of the "hustle" tactics for landing summer employment/internship for the DA office. Hit the courthouse, talk to DA's etc.. but IMO those same techniques can get you paid summer work too. Good Luck.

This is probably what you're referencing: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=87297

username1

Postby username1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:06 am

That's not the one, but I really like that thread alot, thanks for posting.

The one I was referencing was specifically how to get a job at the DA's office and the poster had an African-American male tar.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:41 am

My frd just got a paid legal internship from one of the largest insurance/private wealth companies in the world. He's going to a TTT this fall. Oh yeah, and he`s also hispanic/international student.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”