Anything Law-Related Worthwhile on Audio??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Interminable_Waiting

Anything Law-Related Worthwhile on Audio??

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:27 pm

I'm a 0L likely going to Georgetown this coming fall. My current job requires me to sit all day, and much of the time I am doing repetitive tasks with very little mental effort required.

Generally I listen to music, The Economist, or ESPN Radio for 9 hours a day (or some combination), but I am thinking there might be something law-related to listen to instead.

I doesn't have to prepare me for law school in any concrete way; I'm not trying to gun. I am just wondering if there is anything anyone has come across which might be interesting and occupy my mind a little.

Unemployed

Re: Anything Law-Related Worthwhile on Audio??

Postby Unemployed » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:28 pm

jakeoooh

Postby jakeoooh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:33 pm

I've heard people say that "Law School Legends" and "Sum and Substance" are decent audio primers. Have not used them personally, but can probably get on amazon.com.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:36 pm

lotsa John Grisham available on audio....

aPosseAdEsse

Postby aPosseAdEsse » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Bloomberg Law podcast is pretty interesting, but probably won't prep for 1L classes.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:41 pm

aPosseAdEsse wrote:Bloomberg Law podcast is pretty interesting, but probably won't prep for 1L classes.

This sounds promising. Will I understand it without a background in law?

I'm not really trying to prep, as I mentioned. I just want to listen to something interesting.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Listening to anything legal is going to be a huge waste of your time. If you want to learn something that will help you get ahead in law school, find some lectures on economics. Even if you know econ, the more you know the better you'll be. Honestly, I feel bad for the lib arts kids in my class who had never heard terms like 'strategic behavior' and 'kaldor-hicks.'

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:58 am

Poli sci major, but I took some econ and lived with one of my econ profs after college for six months, so I am not totally clueless. Plus I think the Economist gives a decent context to important economics issues bouncing around society.

I just have nothing to listen too............... maybe I'll download more GaGa

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:22 am

NPR Podcasts. On Point with Tom Ashbrook FTW!

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:43 am

Listen to Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!

It is not law related (at least not all the time), it is just awesome.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Poli sci major, but I took some econ and lived with one of my econ profs after college for six months, so I am not totally clueless. Plus I think the Economist gives a decent context to important economics issues bouncing around society.

I stand by my original suggestion. Even if you understand econ, learn more--it'll serve you well. There are some game theory lectures on iTunes by a Yale prof that are good.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Renzo wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:Poli sci major, but I took some econ and lived with one of my econ profs after college for six months, so I am not totally clueless. Plus I think the Economist gives a decent context to important economics issues bouncing around society.

I stand by my original suggestion. Even if you understand econ, learn more--it'll serve you well. There are some game theory lectures on iTunes by a Yale prof that are good.

That sounds perfect. Okay, tonight I will look up that and the Bloomberg podcast. Tomorrow will bring a much-improved QOL @ work.

DrewR

Anyone want to trade audio supplements?

Postby DrewR » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:40 am

Hey All.

I have found audio supplements incredibly helpful thus far to familarize one's self with core concepts. I'd recommend them to any student who is willing to give them a listen in his idle time (in the shower, cooking, doing laundry, etc.)

I'm currently looking to trade audio supplements. I’d be willing to send electronically two of the titles I have in exchange for one of those that I am seeking. So even if you currently have them, here's a good chance to get three for the price of one. No gimmick, I'll send you one before you send me one, just to show I'm legit. I’m not very familiar with the TLS forum, so feel free to contact me through TLS or shoot me an e-mail at BrooklynLawStudent@gmail.com.

Titles I currently have:
Aspen – Glannon Guide to Civ Pro
Civ Pro Sum & Substance
Civ Pro – Law School Legends – Freer
Sum & Substance – Torts
Sub & Substance – Crim Law
Law School Legends – Contracts
Sum & Substance – Property

Titles I am looking for:
Law School Legends – Torts
Sum and Substance – Contracts
Law School Legends – Property
Any title for Constitutional Law

Thanks!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:01 am

Chicago Law's Podcast series is great. (It's things like lecture series and forums, not just classes.) It can be kind of hard to hear sometimes because recording the audio is usually an afterthought, it seems. But when you can hear it it's entertaining and educational.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”