Still no summer job!! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
monkey34

New

Still no summer job!!

Post by monkey34 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Im starting to freak out.. is there still enough time, or should I be freaking out.

Im a 2L, and have sent my stuff out to 100+ firms, most small firms (which is not only where i want to work, but probably the only places that are still hiring)

Im looking in SF btw.. any suggestions? I really have no preference as to practice areas, i just want a small firm job! gahh

sjk

Bronze

Re: Still no summer job!!

Post by sjk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:31 pm

What school are you at? Are you looking in the SF bay area or only inside the city?

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:34 pm

^ I think Hastings or Boalt.

There's really not much time left at all, but I'd look at federal government jobs if you can, although you probably don't have time on those either. (What about state gov jobs? Public defender?) You need SOMETHING on your resume for the summer.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Does your school have any clinical opportunities? Honestly, near term big law job is out of the question and small law jobs are unlikely to happen until after you pass the bar (especially if you are not in CA now).

Not sure about your grades, but if I were in your position, I would do everything that I could to make myself more attractive for a clerkship.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Are you looking for paid or unpaid? I have sent out at least 2x that many apps to small firms around SF. Zero interest even for unpaid. Ain't happenin' dude

<--- Hastings 1L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 pm

1) Hound your career services people like crazy.
2) Anyone you know who knows anyone at a small firm, talk to them and hound them.
3) If you are in a position where you can survive a summer with no income, get in touch with local prosecutor's offices and public defenders offices and convince them to let you volunteer for the summer. Then sell your experience next year when you're hunting for a post-grad job.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 am

swheat wrote:Are you looking for paid or unpaid? I have sent out at least 2x that many apps to small firms around SF. Zero interest even for unpaid. Ain't happenin' dude

<--- Hastings 1L
Do you have anything lined up?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:50 am

A'nold wrote:
swheat wrote:Are you looking for paid or unpaid? I have sent out at least 2x that many apps to small firms around SF. Zero interest even for unpaid. Ain't happenin' dude

<--- Hastings 1L
Do you have anything lined up?
short answer, no....I have had 3 interviews so far and one offer but it is in Monterey. I have a couple more interviews coming up soon.

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 am

Can you go outside of SF for the summer? Are you wedded to only working there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:27 pm

<--- Hastings 1L

This is pretty much true. I sent out a ton of stuff, got 2 offers in March. If you don't have something lined up by now, it's gonna get worse. I'd start calling in favors or study abroad

monkey34

New

Post by monkey34 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm

I am a 2L at Hastings. I would prefer to work in SF just because I have cheap housing set up. I am open to the entire bay area, and would consider anywhere else in teh country with enough pay.

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:14 pm

??? It's mid-April, and you are using words like "open" and "consider."

You really need to wake up and stop being picky.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:43 pm

FrankReynolds wrote:??? It's mid-April, and you are using words like "open" and "consider."

You really need to wake up and stop being picky.
+1 The SF market is over-saturated and competitive to get into.

My school offers $4,000 or so for students to work in school clinics for the summer. Try your school, but if your school doesn't offer paid clinic work, or if the deadline has passed, then get something unpaid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:55 pm

monkey34 wrote:Im starting to freak out.. is there still enough time, or should I be freaking out.

Im a 2L, and have sent my stuff out to 100+ firms, most small firms (which is not only where i want to work, but probably the only places that are still hiring)

Im looking in SF btw.. any suggestions? I really have no preference as to practice areas, i just want a small firm job! gahh
Have you looked into working for state court judges? CA Supreme Court and COA judges are likely finished hiring (though it wouldn't hurt to inquire) but I'd venture to guess trial court judges are still hiring interns (unpaid, of course). Tens of NYS Supreme Court justices are interviewing right now and later in April. If you want to work for a judge, I'd recommend getting on the phone yesterday. If you decide to go this route, don't limit yourself to SF itself if at all possible. I know this is difficult to do having a lease in the city in which your school resides but the SF market is obviously very saturated. Maybe you can live at home and work at a state trial court close near by? hth

chunkybearcub137

New

Post by chunkybearcub137 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:41 pm

ya im in the same boat.. still dont have a job, and im getting frustrated

help!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:01 am

No job.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:23 am

Have you considered just being a research assistant to a professor? Some 2L's do take on those positions, and are able to get good researching and writing experience in. The plus side is that you will likely get paid as well. It is not as glamorous as a firm job, but I think it is still a good idea in this economy.

Or...if you do not want to research for them, ask them if they know anyone at firms/public interest locations and such. It is a tough market, especially in SF, but don't give up!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eth3n

Bronze

Post by eth3n » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:56 am

Arrow I know you are super-respected around here so I am somewhat weary of questioning you, but isn't an RA position as a 2L look very very bad unless you are hardcore gunning for clerkship (and maybe even then?). Of course anything is clearly better than unemployment.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:58 am

eth3n wrote:Anything is clearly better than unemployment.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 am

eth3n wrote:Arrow I know you are super-respected around here so I am somewhat weary of questioning you, but isn't an RA position as a 2L look very very bad unless you are hardcore gunning for clerkship (and maybe even then?). Of course anything is clearly better than unemployment.
I agree haha. I don't think it even looks great for clerkships. I guess I am just saying it is something to consider if you are totally out of luck and need something on your resume other than "unemployment." A 2L RA only looks very bad in comparison to most summer associate positions, but in OP's position, what else can he do? If you really cannot find a "unpaid" internship even at any firm, any judge, or any public interest position, then your law school professors may be your "final" bet perhaps. An RA position (or 2) is still better than summer classes or study abroad during your 2L year still, right? Either way, a good number of 2L's at Loyola RA'ed (I know because I faced competition when looking for RA positions last year). Some were full time, while others were part time.

Either way, you should consider doing RA's on the side (part time) during the summer. You may eventually find work, but in this economy, the firm/public interest job may not offer you full time offers, so it is still great to get some extra experience and money in.

One last possibility is to see if the clinics at your law school need any help (mentioned above by chadwick218). I still think professors are a great resource for job information. I remember some of my 2L friends scheduling appointments with various professors they had just to ask about what they know or what is out there. Lastly, if all else fails, keep bugging career services, which is really what we all love doing. Best of luck OP!

And, I could be wrong here...so feel free to chime in with other idea/thoughts/options.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 am

Wait... you are a 2L, not a 1L? And you don't have a job yet?

I don't want to be a fear monger, but I think it is time for a controlled panic. I would start looking for unpaid work. Or look into the RA position or programs your school might have for people like you. I think it is highly unlikely you are going to get a paid gig this summer at this point. It is unlikely you will get unpaid work either. I think your law school is your best bet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kgirl

New

Post by kgirl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:00 pm

this is not an uncommon situation. Just take a summer clinic to get practical experience. if your school offers one.
It's nobody's fault if students cannot find a paid position this summer. I am 2L and it's difficult to get a summer position in the field of my interest. Most employers require a Ph.D in my field just to set my foot in the door. It's not a matter of being picky; you want to do soemthing in your field otherwise your background (undergrad+grad) just goes wasted.

sjk

Bronze

Post by sjk » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Arrow wrote:
eth3n wrote:Arrow I know you are super-respected around here so I am somewhat weary of questioning you, but isn't an RA position as a 2L look very very bad unless you are hardcore gunning for clerkship (and maybe even then?). Of course anything is clearly better than unemployment.
I agree haha. I don't think it even looks great for clerkships. I guess I am just saying it is something to consider if you are totally out of luck and need something on your resume other than "unemployment." A 2L RA only looks very bad in comparison to most summer associate positions, but in OP's position, what else can he do? If you really cannot find a "unpaid" internship even at any firm, any judge, or any public interest position, then your law school professors may be your "final" bet perhaps. An RA position (or 2) is still better than summer classes or study abroad during your 2L year still, right? Either way, a good number of 2L's at Loyola RA'ed (I know because I faced competition when looking for RA positions last year). Some were full time, while others were part time.

Either way, you should consider doing RA's on the side (part time) during the summer. You may eventually find work, but in this economy, the firm/public interest job may not offer you full time offers, so it is still great to get some extra experience and money in.

One last possibility is to see if the clinics at your law school need any help (mentioned above by chadwick218). I still think professors are a great resource for job information. I remember some of my 2L friends scheduling appointments with various professors they had just to ask about what they know or what is out there. Lastly, if all else fails, keep bugging career services, which is really what we all love doing. Best of luck OP!

And, I could be wrong here...so feel free to chime in with other idea/thoughts/options.

ARROW! Let's do lunch this week! I didn't go to last weeks lunch thing but I was thinking about you this week.

And I think for a 2L without a job, it's better to start contacting the smaller firms around the bay area, the ones that have 1-2 lawyers with a general practice, and start offering yourself as an UNPAID intern for them over the summer. They likely couldn't pay you anyways, but would always need help with something. It would be getting good experience that would look decent on your resume.
As a senior in college I was an unpaid intern at a small office for 6 months. I put it on my resume and when I was interviewing during the OCI program and with the firm that eventually made me an offer, they all commented on my prior firm experience as being important even though it was (1) a tiny firm, (2) unpaid, and (3) before law school.

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:37 pm

Let's do it!

*sigh,* why didn't you tell me I needed small firm experience in undergrad! I would have volunteered somewhere every summer haha.

I do think that there has got to be a place that will take unpaid summer interns. There is less legal work in this weak economy, but there has got to be places that need help still. Firms love free legal help, right? Keep trying and don't give up!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Arrow wrote:Let's do it!

*sigh,* why didn't you tell me I needed small firm experience in undergrad! I would have volunteered somewhere every summer haha.

I do think that there has got to be a place that will take unpaid summer interns. There is less legal work in this weak economy, but there has got to be places that need help still. Firms love free legal help, right? Keep trying and don't give up!
As I mentioned, I have sent out a lot of cold emails offering to work for free at small firms all over the area. I have had only one call back and a lot of "sorry!" responses. Then again I am a 1L so maybe OP will have better luck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”