Dean's list Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GrapeApe

New

Re: Dean's list

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 am

The funny thing is the version of sandbagging that you didn't intend to use works much better as related to this topic.
No.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:22 am

Ultimate flame.
You wish. You are wrong.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

So you dont like to be smart? Or you have issues with being on the dean's list. Or your a dbag? Just don't no why you would try and not do your best i guess.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:25 am

why are you in law school if you don't want to do well?
To get a J.D. in order to jump ranks in LE. That's it. I will never work in a legal job.

Second, I never said that I didn't want to do well. I'd like to do my best, but not get this faux praise and adoration that drives most of the legal profession.

Such nonsense does nothing more than to breed the hyper-competitive and sociopathic behavior that occurs in law schools. I hate elitists. I absolutely despise them. That's part of the reason that I hate the law.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 am

So you dont like to be smart? Or you have issues with being on the dean's list. Or your a dbag? Just don't no why you would try and not do your best i guess.
My ideal solution would be to do my best, and if I end up on the Dean's list, to not be included. I don't want certificates for getting the highest grade in class or to receive recognition for something that is rather meaningless for someone in my position.

That and I feel a bit guilty, since I don't want to be a lawyer, and I am probably taking up a spot at the expense of people that might actually need things like being on the Dean's list because they will actually work in a legal job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:34 am

GrapeApe wrote:
My brain is having a difficult time comprehending how fucking absurd this post is. Dear OP: DIAF.
I understand that the egotistical pretentious blowhards that infest the legal profession might not understand my motivations, but that is ok with me. :)
And Flame of the Week goes to......

Grape Ape!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only person on Top LAW Schools who wants to suck at law school with dreams of someday NOT becoming a lawyer!

Way to go, champ!
:roll:

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 am

And stop bumping your own thread. No one cares. If you don't want to be on the Dean's List, try talking to your Dean about it. Tell him/her how repulsive you think it it is to acknowledge students who excel in their coursework, mention that you don't want to be a lawyer, and top it all off with the crap about "egotistical pretentious blowhards"

I'm sure that will go over well.

Best of luck!
Last edited by phoenix323 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 am

What type of legal job are you aiming for? I feel like you're going to hate every potential coworker that you meet.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:19 pm

What type of legal job are you aiming for? I feel like you're going to hate every potential coworker that you meet.
None... I don't want to be a lawyer. I want to continue my LE career.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 pm

I still think the term "sandbagging" is being misused. Even in racing, it doesn't simply mean deliberately under-performing. It means deliberately under-performing for the purpose of being underestimated to gain a future advantage. Which this isn't.

devilishangelrjp

Bronze

Post by devilishangelrjp » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 pm

GrapeApe wrote:
I have a hard time understanding this. It's a great honor to be on the Dean's List. If all you want to do is continue an LE career, and you don't want to be a lawyer, I don't see how being on Dean's List in law school would hurt you. And the little reasons you give don't seem to outweigh the good. They actually sound pretty petty.

RayFinkle

Bronze

Post by RayFinkle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 pm

devilishangelrjp wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
I have a hard time understanding this. It's a great honor to be on the Dean's List. If all you want to do is continue an LE career, and you don't want to be a lawyer, I don't see how being on Dean's List in law school would hurt you. And the little reasons you give don't seem to outweigh the good. They actually sound pretty petty.
Whether he knows it or not, this thread was merely created to boost his ego. A guy smart enough to guarantee dean's list should be smart enough to deal with this by himself and should also be smart enough to know the responses from posting such a question. I understand it though. Everyone has issues... confidence and self-worth being two of the most common. It manifests itself in interesting ways. Exhibit A being this thread.

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:44 pm

OP is too good to be on the Dean's List, because he hates elitists. It all makes perfect sense to me. Don't you self-absorbed plebs understand, or is it too high a concept for you to grasp?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

FeuerFrei

Bronze

Post by FeuerFrei » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:50 pm

Being on the dean's list hardly makes you a target for whatever the hell it is you're worried about. I don't even think my school publishes the names of people on the dean's list.

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Being on the dean's list hardly makes you a target for whatever the hell it is you're worried about. I don't even think my school publishes the names of people on the dean's list.
Here they publish the list AND e-mail the list around the school.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:07 pm

GrapeApe wrote:
Here they publish the list AND e-mail the list around the school.
;) LOL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GrapeApe

New

Post by GrapeApe » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:13 pm

;) LOL
Exactly... Don't you see how that can cause problems?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Related question, what percentage of the class gets on the Dean's list? And what is the general rank of the school OP is attending?
Last edited by Ragged on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:21 pm

GrapeApe wrote:
My ideal solution would be to do my best, and if I end up on the Dean's list, to not be included. I don't want certificates for getting the highest grade in class or to receive recognition for something that is rather meaningless for someone in my position.

That and I feel a bit guilty, since I don't want to be a lawyer, and I am probably taking up a spot at the expense of people that might actually need things like being on the Dean's list because they will actually work in a legal job.

awww well arnt you nice. FYI KID IT NOT YOUR FAULT THEY ARE NOT TRYING HARD ENOUGH OR THEY JUST DO NOT HAVE THE INTELLIGENCE NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:23 pm

1 - the number of people that will care that GrapeApe is on the dean's list.

Also, 100% flame.

Edit: AND, I should also start a thread about how when people ask me if I am going to try to write on to the LR I say no and then when questioned further I have to admit that I am banking on grading on. Then they say, "man, that's such a risk!" I am left with another douchey situation where I can't really say that it is highly likely.

Solution- bomb every test this semester.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm

A'nold wrote:1 - the number of people that will care that GrapeApe is on the dean's list.

Also, 100% flame.

Edit: AND, I should also start a thread about how when people ask me if I am going to try to write on to the LR I say no and then when questioned further I have to admit that I am banking on grading on. Then they say, "man, that's such a risk!" I am left with another douchey situation where I can't really say that it is highly likely.

Solution- bomb every test this semester.
Not that I don't think Grape Ape is incredibly obnoxious BUT: couldn't you just say "oh sure, yeah." And just grade on and then everyone will you think you wrote on or whatever? You can avoid the awkward convo by not making a big deal about how you can grade on.

nahgems

Bronze

Post by nahgems » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:56 pm

You should check your student handbook and privacy policy. This may vary by school. My school publishes both the Dean's list and the CALI/Witkin award winners (top two students in each class). They announced during orientation, published in the student handbook, and listed on the website under "privacy policy" that you can fill out a "Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information" form and you will not be published on these lists. At the bottom of each list (when they are published) there is a disclaimer that reads "Note: Students who have requested non-disclosure of directory information (FERPA) will not appear on this list. However, a notation will be made on their transcripts."

Tall

New

Post by Tall » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Ragged wrote:Related question, what percentage of the class gets on the Dean's list? And what is the general rank of the school OP is attending?
I would love to know this as well. The arrogance. :roll:

annapavlova

Bronze

Post by annapavlova » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 pm

Tall wrote:
Ragged wrote:Related question, what percentage of the class gets on the Dean's list? And what is the general rank of the school OP is attending?
I would love to know this as well. The arrogance. :roll:
Dude. If you're going to use Lloyd as your avatar, use the real Lloyd.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”