itouch = substitute for iphone?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nascent
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm

itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby nascent » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Hey guys,

I was perusing through the cellphone with internet access thread, and since it seems that having a smartphone for easy internet access is essential, i just thought about getting an itouch instead of paying for an expensive data plan during law school. I'm thinking that since the campus is connected via wireless network, having itouch will let you be connected to internet most of the time.

Any inputs on this would be appreciated :)

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby MrKappus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 pm

As a 1L, all I can say is: I spend a significant amount of time at places w/ wifi, but not 24/7. If you're spending (or borrowing) tens of K's to go to school is a $360 data plan that much of a problem?

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby Charles Barkley » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 pm

I have both. If you don't want to pay for the data plan, just get the Itouch. Very similar.

nascent
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby nascent » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 pm

MrKappus wrote:As a 1L, all I can say is: I spend a significant amount of time at places w/ wifi, but not 24/7. If you're spending (or borrowing) tens of K's to go to school is a $360 data plan that much of a problem?


I hear a lot of people telling me since I'm borrowing so much, couple hundreds of dollars shouldn't be a problem, but the fact that I'm borrowing so much money is the reason why I don't want to waste more money on things that are not necessary. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Well, when will you be using this thing? Primarily at the school, right? If the whole campus is blanketed with Wi-Fi then you're golden with the iPod touch.

You still have a cell phone, right? People can call you if they need to get ahold of you and you're out of Wi-Fi range...

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby macattaq » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Problem (mostly) solved here: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/techn ... ef=general

Verdict: iTouch.

User avatar
Jones, Dow
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby Jones, Dow » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:21 pm

i've got an itouch. absolutely love it. i've got black's law dictionary on it, flash cards, constitution, fed. rules, recorded lectures, and, perhaps the best part, the barbri app. you absolutely don't need a data plan for law school.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby MrKappus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:i've got an itouch. absolutely love it. i've got black's law dictionary on it, flash cards, constitution, fed. rules, recorded lectures, and, perhaps the best part, the barbri app. you absolutely don't need a data plan for law school.


Why would you need BLD, flash cards, constitution, or frcp on a phone? Are you a law student?

User avatar
Lawl Shcool
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 pm

FWIW I have an iPhone and it is great for law school. Not because I have school related things on it, but because law students like to argue. Having access to the internet everywhere makes those arguments much better being able to get real facts versus the pure speculation that usually abounds.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby MrKappus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:33 pm

JPU wrote:FWIW I have an iPhone and it is great for law school. Not because I have school related things on it, but because law students like to argue. Having access to the internet everywhere makes those arguments much better being able to get real facts versus the pure speculation that usually abounds.


You sound like a law student. Having flash cards on an iTouch...not so much.

User avatar
John J. Rambo, Esq.
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:04 am

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 pm

I'll attest to the iTouch's greatness, especially if you frequently find yourself in wifi areas. You can use it to download most major newspapers and make phone calls through voip apps. It's a great alternative to paying for a data plan.

A while ago Apple was handing out free iTouches with any purchase of a Mac. Somebody on here can probably point you to a website that tracks Mac deals like this one.

User avatar
acash09
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby acash09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:50 pm

I'm in love with my itouch. Although when I was in UG (St. John's) the campus had a locked network. The only way your laptop could be connected to it was if you were using a St. John's laptop, or if you went to IT and they "approved" it. They refused to let any blackberrys/iphones/ipod touches/ any other wireless devices to connect to the wi fi network. such BS. I advise you check out the schools you're thinking of going to and make sure they do not do such a thing.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: itouch = substitute for iphone?

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:36 am

John J. Rambo, Esq. wrote:I'll attest to the iTouch's greatness, especially if you frequently find yourself in wifi areas. You can use it to download most major newspapers and make phone calls through voip apps. It's a great alternative to paying for a data plan.

A while ago Apple was handing out free iTouches with any purchase of a Mac. Somebody on here can probably point you to a website that tracks Mac deals like this one.

It happens every August/September. Clears out the old inventory (they update the iPods in the fall) and gives incentives to back to school shoppers.

I used to have an iPod Touch but I got rid of it because I found myself without wifi too much. Now that my phone is also a wifi router I'm thinking of picking up a new one.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GeneralLawyer, joman8390, McChicken and 8 guests