Who do students retain as lawyers when they sue their school

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
corporatelaw87

Who do students retain as lawyers when they sue their school

Postby corporatelaw87 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 pm

I am curious as to this. Pretty much every time this happens the students have no case. What lawyer in their right mind would take these cases. I think I read about a transfer student who was suing his new school for a bad grade in legal writing II. He said because legal writing I was during 1L year and he did not take it, his bad grade should not stand. I mean, what lawyer would really legitimately take that case? I don't even know what type of law that would be, litigation?

vanwinkle

Re: Who do students retain as lawyers when they sue their school

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:33 pm

I believe you're referring to this case: http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/adjunctprofs/2009/11/new-york-law-student-fails-in-his-challenge-to-reverse-his-legal-writing-grade.html

He appeared pro se (meaning that he represented himself), which is probably what usually happens in these bizarre cases.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Wasn't there a girl who sued Cooley?

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Oblomov

Postby Oblomov » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Last edited by Oblomov on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:55 pm

pro se is tcr.

Next on the law student sue parade is going to be everyone suing Wisconsin to extort money from them to settle diploma privilege cases.

monkey34

Postby monkey34 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:24 am

the christian legal society student at Hastings sued the school... and it is being argued before the US supreme court on monday

tome

Postby tome » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:46 am

There was also that whole Michigan thing, but I guess that guy was suing because he wasn't a student.

voyagerfan

Postby voyagerfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:22 pm

I want to sue my school for being deceptive about the residency requirments (we found out last week that they wanted all of the paper work done last August).

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:29 pm

monkey34 wrote:the christian legal society student at Hastings sued the school... and it is being argued before the US supreme court on monday

I don't think it was a single student. That organization has a national office in Virginia or something, and you can rest assured that no Hastings student argued in front of SCOTUS on Monday, or at the 9th Circuit, or at District Court.

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:29 pm

tome wrote:There was also that whole Michigan thing, but I guess that guy was suing because he wasn't a student.

It was a lady.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:34 pm

monkey34 wrote:the christian legal society student at Hastings sued the school... and it is being argued before the US supreme court on monday

swheat wrote:
I don't think it was a single student. That organization has a national office in Virginia or something, and you can rest assured that no Hastings student argued in front of SCOTUS on Monday, or at the 9th Circuit, or at District Court.

Counsel of record for CLS is Michael McConnell, former COA judge and current Stanford law professor.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:

swheat wrote:

Counsel of record for CLS is Michael McConnell, former COA judge and current Stanford law professor.

While I personally find the CLS's position morally repugnant, it is really interesting and entertaining to see the SCOTUS spar over this with increasingly absurd hypotheticals.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:I don't think it was a single student. That organization has a national office in Virginia or something, and you can rest assured that no Hastings student argued in front of SCOTUS on Monday, or at the 9th Circuit, or at District Court.

Counsel of record for CLS is Michael McConnell, former COA judge and current Stanford law professor.[/quote]
Once you get a case to the point that it looks like a good appeal to SCOTUS, it's actually very easy to find lawyers to take it on, in order to get the chance to argue before SCOTUS. If it's in a civil rights context, many will even do it pro bono. UVa has a SCOTUS litigation clinic that does this.

tome

Postby tome » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:42 am

meddlingkid wrote:
tome wrote:There was also that whole Michigan thing, but I guess that guy was suing because he wasn't a student.

It was a lady.

Guy is a unisex term now dude, get with the 2010s! e.g. "what are you guys up to?" is a perfectly acceptable thing to say to a group of women ...

... but, yeah, I actually thought it was a man, haha.

legalized

Postby legalized » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:52 am

tome wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:

It was a lady.

Guy is a unisex term now dude, get with the 2010s! e.g. "what are you guys up to?" is a perfectly acceptable thing to say to a group of women ...

... but, yeah, I actually thought it was a man, haha.

ROFL

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”