I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
hannibalhamlin61
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:54 am

Xizenta wrote:Few points:
500k before taxes for a household income is NOT that rich. I would still call it rich, but it's pretty borderline and I would understand how some people would not.

OP has a point about the difficulties of being "rich" on paper. It sucks pretty freaking hard and I can empathize. In many ways coming from a rich family does cripple your opportunities to make your own success, which actually is more important than you $_$ greedy little poor kids who attack the OP can imagine. After all, material wealth really is as over-rated as many wise men in our history have warned, and in exchange for it, kids from rich families have to struggle with a lot of disrespect/social stigma. It's NOT worth it, because in the end you can look at young adults that come from a family with a household income of 80k and they are many times just as happy if not happier.

Anyone who immediately gets aggravated and complains that they would love and appreciate being in the OP's position is just being ignorant and fooled by a "grass is greener" situation. You guys are stupid. You would really give up a lifetime of respect for making your own success just so you could avoid earning your own rent/grocery money? Coming from a 500k family doesn't mean you are going to be given exotic cars and buying 12 dollar cocktails for every hot chick at the bar. It just means you can avoid a part-time job in your adolescence - but that's an over-rated benefit... working builds character, it keeps you healthy, it creates friendships etc etc. The position of a "spoiled rich kid" is not an enviable one... at least not at the 500k level. I know someone whose parents make over 1 million a year, his life sucks, and none of you would want to trade - take my word for it.

TLDR? LOL you guys are fucking ignorant.


I gave you a 'valley-girl' voice when I read this. It seemed fitting.

User avatar
Ford Prefect
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:55 am

That fits well, hannibal.

istorm88
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby istorm88 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:00 am

Xizenta wrote:It's NOT worth it, because in the end you can look at young adults that come from a family with a household income of 80k and they are many times just as happy if not happier.


This is true...except it kind of illustrates how rich you are if 80k is being poor.

Xizenta wrote:It just means you can avoid a part-time job in your adolescence - but that's an over-rated benefit... working builds character, it keeps you healthy, it creates friendships etc etc.


Yeahhh...your outta your mind on this point...I would have rather built character by doing volunteer work or research with a professor (something that illustrates my commitment to scholarly work) compared to the jobs I've had as a janitor, Mcdonalds guy, and unloading trucks at 3am in a warehouse.

Other than that, I do understand your point. Life is difficult for everyone, income just dictates in what way (I think that's what your getting at? Unless this was a total flame...in which case well done). Also, I feel like the 500k being rich depends on where they live...because 500k buys you the kind of mansion you see on MTV Cribs where I live in Upstate NY.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby legalease9 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:01 am

Xizenta wrote:Few points:
500k before taxes for a household income is NOT that rich. I would still call it rich, but it's pretty borderline and I would understand how some people would not.

OP has a point about the difficulties of being "rich" on paper. It sucks pretty freaking hard and I can empathize. In many ways coming from a rich family does cripple your opportunities to make your own success, which actually is more important than you $_$ greedy little poor kids who attack the OP can imagine. After all, material wealth really is as over-rated as many wise men in our history have warned, and in exchange for it, kids from rich families have to struggle with a lot of disrespect/social stigma. It's NOT worth it, because in the end you can look at young adults that come from a family with a household income of 80k and they are many times just as happy if not happier.

Anyone who immediately gets aggravated and complains that they would love and appreciate being in the OP's position is just being ignorant and fooled by a "grass is greener" situation. You guys are stupid. You would really give up a lifetime of respect for making your own success just so you could avoid earning your own rent/grocery money? Coming from a 500k family doesn't mean you are going to be given exotic cars and buying 12 dollar cocktails for every hot chick at the bar. It just means you can avoid a part-time job in your adolescence - but that's an over-rated benefit... working builds character, it keeps you healthy, it creates friendships etc etc. The position of a "spoiled rich kid" is not an enviable one... at least not at the 500k level. I know someone whose parents make over 1 million a year, his life sucks, and none of you would want to trade - take my word for it.

TLDR? LOL you guys are fucking ignorant.


Few points...

500k is rich. No matter where you live in America, 500k is very rich. The average household income is around 50k, so if you make 10 times that you are rich.

Money doesn't buy happiness, I get it. But complaining about your inability to work-study because you are super-rich is stupid. Rich people can complain about other problems in their life, but to complain about lost opportunities do to large cash-flow is foolish. That is if OP wasn't a flame...

Kids from rich families do not suffer from poor social stigma any more (and probably much less) than poor kids do.

Kids from rich families build their own success quite readily, and their financial backing almost always fuels their success rather than detracting from it. Any lack of success on part of the rich is do to other problems, not their large piggy bank.

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Xizenta » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:06 am

Guys-

I may have mis-spoke if it seemed like i was comparing the struggles of a rich kid to a poverty kid. The general argument i was making was for rich kid vs average kid. The 80k household income I cited was not "poor" but just a regular family with two parents working decent jobs.


B:
No matter what you do, people will attribute your success to your parents. Rich kids don't build their own success, at least not in the eyes of the general population.

User avatar
hannibalhamlin61
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby hannibalhamlin61 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 am

Xizenta wrote:Guys-

I may have mis-spoke if it seemed like i was comparing the struggles of a rich kid to a poverty kid. The general argument i was making was for rich kid vs average kid. The 80k household income I cited was not "poor" but just a regular family with two parents working decent jobs.


B:
No matter what you do, people will attribute your success to your parents. Rich kids don't build their own success, at least not in the eyes of the general population.


Now you really sound like a 13-year old valley-girl in my mind. Keep digging.

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Xizenta » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:25 am

Also, let me explain to you guys where my perspective is coming from:

My dad worked a shitty job making 50k a year for 70 hours of hard work a week in SALES. Working in sales is always hard, that paycheck was all commission, if you don't work hard, you don't make money. My mom had 4 children and couldn't help but stay at home to take care of us. We lived extremely frugally, saving almost everything we earned. Even our meals were modest - I was actually jealous of kids with food stamps because their lunches were a hundred times better than what i got, and of course I didn't qualify for food stamps. I had an old black and white 10 inch television, (I was born in 1987, yes a black and white television.) LOL we had donut Wednesdays at our elementary school and every kid would buy a 50 cent donut - I was so ashamed to ask my parents for that 50 cents that it took me 2 or 3 years of thinking about it before I finally said I want a 50 cent allowance per week (this was in like 5th grade.)

There was a week long camping trip in middle school where everyone went except for me, because my parents didn't want to pay the fee.

I did tae kwan do for like 4 months and then had to quit because it was "too expensive." I couldn't play sports in high school because they had registration fees for the teams.

My life sucked ok?

Anyway, when I was around 18 my dad had finally saved up so much money that he was able to buy out the company that he worked for, and now he owns two stores and makes decent money etc etc. I'm 22 now and have had brand new audi and lexus vehicles in my name... There is a lot of stigma. Ignorant people don't understand what I had to go through to get to here, how dare they give me the looks that they do for driving a nicer car than them... LOL guys, children - i'm going to call you children because you are being narrow minded. A nicer car is not worth what i went through as a kid. And I KNOW that in MANY cases of rich families with incomes between 250-500k, people suffered and worked harder than you could ever imagine for a looong, long time - sacrificing SO much to get to where they are.

User avatar
Ford Prefect
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 am

Two things:

YOU didn't have to go through anything to get there. It sounds like your dad did all the work. Being a little embarrassed of your life? Get over it.

If the cars don't make up for your crappy early life, why bring up that you've had an Audi and a Lexus? Did YOU earn them?

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Xizenta » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:45 am

mdallavis wrote:Two things:

YOU didn't have to go through anything to get there. It sounds like your dad did all the work. Being a little embarrassed of your life? Get over it.

If the cars don't make up for your crappy early life, why bring up that you've had an Audi and a Lexus? Did YOU earn them?



Actually, it WAS a whole family effort getting here. I DID have to struggle. I DID have the option of taking the easy way out. Do you think that my dad would have actually turned me down if I really wanted to live the life that my friends did? I understood that we were making an investment, and I willingly restricted myself to spending LESS than what children from families that were legally in poverty spent. Don't ask me to get over anything, i'm not bitter about the choices we made - I am perfectly happy. My only complaint is that you are stupid. Stupid for making the points you did about me not having earned the simple luxury of an expensive car. For someone in your position, it's easy to say that you would give up anything for the opportunity to drive an Audi. For someone like me, who has perspective on both sides of the spectrum - I would say that giving up my childhood was not worth it just so my dad could pay 50% in income taxes today. It was not worth it just so I could take 200k of debt in law school and not qualify for any need based aid. You idiot, I would have been equally happy with spending blindly and not giving a damn about my future - like you - and then getting bailed out by the government and financial aid committees for being "economically disadvantaged."

That's my only point, get over your "grass is greener" mentality and realize that a lot of "rich" people have struggled too.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby clintonius » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 am

Xizenta wrote:Do you think that my dad would have actually turned me down if I really wanted to live the life that my friends did?

Considering they pulled you out of tae kwon do and didn't let you play sports or go on that camping trip...

User avatar
Ford Prefect
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Ford Prefect » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

Well, I have certainly been put in my place. My poor, wildly spending family will likely shun me now.

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby RickyRoe » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm

Your complaining that you are being discriminated against because you can't do a work study? I hope this is a flame. That work study would be, at best, an average soft in your application. Meanwhile people like me are "discriminated" against because we have to work full-time in undergrad, lowering our GPAs. We can't do resume building volunteer work or join some club that would conflict with our jobs. But I agree, we should all throw a pity party for you and your problems.

User avatar
tru
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby tru » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:34 pm

.
Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby NewHere » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:24 am

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if I'm repeating what someone else said, but: you can work for a professor without doing it through a 'work-study' arrangement. And that's actually the more common way of doing it.

blsingindisguise
Posts: 1296
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:44 am

GummiBear wrote:
I'm being discriminated against because my letters of recommendation will not be as great as those who actually worked intimately with the professors.


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahaha

"worked intimately with the professors"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahahahahaaaaa

User avatar
devilishangelrjp
Posts: 257
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:53 am

Xizenta wrote:
mdallavis wrote:Two things:

YOU didn't have to go through anything to get there. It sounds like your dad did all the work. Being a little embarrassed of your life? Get over it.

If the cars don't make up for your crappy early life, why bring up that you've had an Audi and a Lexus? Did YOU earn them?



Actually, it WAS a whole family effort getting here. I DID have to struggle. I DID have the option of taking the easy way out. Do you think that my dad would have actually turned me down if I really wanted to live the life that my friends did? I understood that we were making an investment, and I willingly restricted myself to spending LESS than what children from families that were legally in poverty spent. Don't ask me to get over anything, i'm not bitter about the choices we made - I am perfectly happy. My only complaint is that you are stupid. Stupid for making the points you did about me not having earned the simple luxury of an expensive car. For someone in your position, it's easy to say that you would give up anything for the opportunity to drive an Audi. For someone like me, who has perspective on both sides of the spectrum - I would say that giving up my childhood was not worth it just so my dad could pay 50% in income taxes today. It was not worth it just so I could take 200k of debt in law school and not qualify for any need based aid. You idiot, I would have been equally happy with spending blindly and not giving a damn about my future - like you - and then getting bailed out by the government and financial aid committees for being "economically disadvantaged."

That's my only point, get over your "grass is greener" mentality and realize that a lot of "rich" people have struggled too.


...I guess you don't think OP has a "grass is greener" mentality?

Is that another benefit of being rich?

istorm88
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby istorm88 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:32 am

mdallavis wrote:That's my only point, get over your "grass is greener" mentality and realize that a lot of "rich" people have struggled too.


Fair enough, but can you honestly say you prefer.....

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:There was a week long camping trip in middle school where everyone went except for me, because my parents didn't want to pay the fee.

I did tae kwan do for like 4 months and then had to quit because it was "too expensive." I couldn't play sports in high school because they had registration fees for the teams.


compared to....
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:I'm 22 now and have had brand new audi and lexus vehicles in my name


Again, I understand everyone has problems regardless...but you gotta admit the problems of your childhood were more serious than the problems you have in the present. It took balls to come to the defense of the OP and be willing to tell your story (thank you for sharing, no sarcasm. I found it interesting), but it really doesn't change the common view: Most would rather be discriminated against for being rich instead of poor.

User avatar
Xizenta
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Xizenta » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:57 am

devilishangelrjp wrote:
...I guess you don't think OP has a "grass is greener" mentality?

Is that another benefit of being rich?




I'm not saying anything about OP specifically. No matter who made the general point or how well they made it, this community would have had the same problems taking it seriously~





istorm88 wrote:Again, I understand everyone has problems regardless...but you gotta admit the problems of your childhood were more serious than the problems you have in the present. It took balls to come to the defense of the OP and be willing to tell your story (thank you for sharing, no sarcasm. I found it interesting), but it really doesn't change the common view: Most would rather be discriminated against for being rich instead of poor.


Whether or not that is true, i won't address... For one thing, as i mentioned earlier, I think the OP's complaints and my own points were addressing Rich VS Median, not Rich VS Poor. I think very few actual POOR people go to law school - just a lot of people who say they are poor but come from middle income families.

But anyway, one thing you have to remember is that the middle income and "poor" are in the majority - collectively they have a lot of power to limit the discrimination they face. How much of the world resents the rich? If we say that being rich is being in the top 1% of the population, then 99% of the world is against them. This is why we can have things like a progressive tax system... So keep that in mind.

istorm88
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby istorm88 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:55 am

istorm88 wrote:Whether or not that is true, i won't address...


...that comes across as a cop out to me. It doesn't make sense to announce intimate details on this thread, then dodge the most basic part of this.

This really isn't complex. Would you rather....

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:But anyway, one thing you have to remember is that the middle income and "poor" are in the majority - collectively they have a lot of power to limit the discrimination they face.


or

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:I'm 22 now and have had brand new audi and lexus vehicles in my name... There is a lot of stigma.


Not saying that either situation is perfect sunshine and rainbows...but I'm pretty sure someone could start a poll offering up these options and a majority of users will opt to pass up being apart of the "powerful" majority in exchange for luxury items.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: I'm being discriminated against for being rich (Work Study)

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:11 pm

GummiBear wrote:I have a number of awesome teachers, and I would love to do research assistant jobs for them to get good recommendations when I graduate...

But the problem is my parents make a ton of money and so I don't have any loans or anything. This in turn disqualifies me for work-study certification. Is there a way I could still get a job like this if I ask not to get paid? Or am I totally screwed just because my parents are rich?

If so, that is pretty messed up. It's not like I can control how much my parents make.



SHUT THE @)#$*@#)$* UP!

Most of us will be paying 6 figures in loans. NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN.

/thread.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BuddyHoller, Downstairs_Mixup, Op_Diom, sr1986, TheSpanishMain and 14 guests