So, I don't drink...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
worldtraveler

Re: So, I don't drink...

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't either. I was worried about it too and it hasn't been a problem for me. Just make friends with people who aren't drunk all the time and you'll be fine.

kurla88

Postby kurla88 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 pm

If you also refuse to go to bars, it might be a bit of a problem, but honestly, you'll be fine. You can't bond that much while yelling to be heard over screaming people/music anyway.

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Last edited by Mosca on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricking1288

Postby ricking1288 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:00 pm

I actually got a paralegal job at a bar. I was watching a Nuggets and Warriors game at a bar and this one guy kept hating on the Nuggets. We started talking and I found out he was a partner at a law firm. So at half time, Nuggets were up by 3 and he asked If i wanted to make it interesting. I agreed. The bet was if Nuggets win, I get an interview, if they lose I'll pay his bar tab. Nuggets won with 1.3 seconds left. He gave me his business card and told him to shoot an email with my resume and two days later I get a call for an interview. I wound up getting the job and thats how i spent my summer between Junior and Senior year in UG aka last summer. Now i got a full-time position as soon as I graduate in May. Btw, he told me afterwards that one of the main reasons (besides my qualifications) that I got the job is because I'm the type of guy that he can grab a beer with after work or during happy hour. Drinking helps networking and improves job prospects. :D

basicgrey7

Postby basicgrey7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:12 pm

dontworrybehappy wrote:It seems like most law school socials/bar reviews revolve around alcohol :-\. Am I going to have a really sucky experience when I start my 1L this fall?

I'm genuinely worried.

I don't think you should worry about it. In UG, I had a lot of friends who had kids and couldn't go out a lot because of it. If you truly want to be friends with someone, I don't think that this will be a deterrence.

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:28 pm

The only type of networking bonds you make when drunk off your ass are the adult-rated NC-17 kind.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Huff paint fumes.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 pm

i will re-check this post in 4 months... see what progress has been made.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Drinking is a HUGE part of life, especially if you are considering politics. I worked for a state politician once who told me, "A politician who doesn't drink won't be a politician for long."

I know plenty of politicians that don't drink. In fact, I think it's completely fair to say that the influence of alcohol gets a great deal of people (politicians, athletes, celebrities, etc.) into trouble because of drinking. Anybody remember Joe Namath drunk on the sideline?..."I want to kiss you. :lol:

OP, as a fellow non-drinker, I've actually found the best way to answer the "Why don't you drink?" question is to simply say it's for health reasons. Alcohol is terrible for your body, and being health conscious is always in style, especially now. Honestly, people aren't going to ridicule you for caring about your health.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Couldn't be as bad as not drinking in college, right?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:57 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Drinking is a HUGE part of life, especially if you are considering politics. I worked for a state politician once who told me, "A politician who doesn't drink won't be a politician for long."

I know plenty of politicians that don't drink. In fact, I think it's completely fair to say that the influence of alcohol gets a great deal of people (politicians, athletes, celebrities, etc.) into trouble because of drinking. Anybody remember Joe Namath drunk on the sideline?..."I want to kiss you. :lol:

OP, as a fellow non-drinker, I've actually found the best way to answer the "Why don't you drink?" question is to simply say it's for health reasons. Alcohol is terrible for your body, and being health conscious is always in style, especially now. Honestly, people aren't going to ridicule you for caring about your health.

If I offered you a drink and you got all sanctimonious about how unhealthy it is I would probably ridicule you. Drinking in moderation is certainly not "terrible for your body" and may in fact contribute positively to overall health and well-being.

Far better just to say that you don't enjoy it or that it doesn't agree with you. Which is perfectly reasonable.

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 pm

creamedcats wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:All I can think about while reading this thread is Jim Gaffigan.

When you don't drink, people always need to know why. They're like, 'You don't drink? Why?' This never happens with anything else: 'You don't use mayonnaise? Why? Are you addicted to mayonnaise? Is it OK if I use mayonnaise? I could go outside.'

...you can have a hot pocket for breakfast, a hot pocket for lunch, and be dead by dinner!

I'm in love with both of you.

KimmyGibbler

Postby KimmyGibbler » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:08 pm

dontworrybehappy wrote:It seems like most law school socials/bar reviews revolve around alcohol :-\. Am I going to have a really sucky experience when I start my 1L this fall?

I'm genuinely worried.

My parents told me to never trust a man (or woman) who doesn't drink. These are words I live by.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:15 pm

notanumber wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:

If I offered you a drink and you got all sanctimonious about how unhealthy it is I would probably ridicule you. Drinking in moderation is certainly not "terrible for your body" and may in fact contribute positively to overall health and well-being.

Far better just to say that you don't enjoy it or that it doesn't agree with you. Which is perfectly reasonable.

I'm not talking about getting "all sanctimonious" on the person. Just politely decline. If they inquire as to why, merely respond with a "I'm trying to watch what I eat" or something like that. You don't have to be a jacka$$ about it.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:21 pm

notanumber wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:

I agree. Despite what some other non-drinkers are telling you, people are going to judge you if you tell them you tell them you aren't drinking because it's unhealthy, even if they don't say anything to your face.

Why don't you learn to enjoy a high-quality beer every now and then? You don't have to get drunk (or even come close to it), but nobody likes a teetotaler.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:23 pm

sundevil77 wrote:I'm not talking about getting "all sanctimonious" on the person. Just politely decline. If they inquire as to why, merely respond with a "I'm trying to watch what I eat" or something like that. You don't have to be a jacka$$ about it.

Surprise, surprise. The guy who doesn't drink because it's unhealthy is also afraid to write the word "jackass" on the internet.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Frank once said: "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

I agree with him.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:26 pm

cubswin wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:I'm not talking about getting "all sanctimonious" on the person. Just politely decline. If they inquire as to why, merely respond with a "I'm trying to watch what I eat" or something like that. You don't have to be a jacka$$ about it.

Surprise, surprise. The guy who doesn't drink because it's unhealthy is also afraid to write the word "jackass" on the internet.

Dude, you're being a douchey jackass

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 pm

cubswin wrote:but nobody likes a teetotaler.

Nobody likes someone who just doesn't let people decide if they want to drink or not. We're all adults and can make our own decisions about such things. No reason to have the peer pressuring mentality of a middle school girl.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:29 pm

sundevil77 wrote:
cubswin wrote:

+1...

There was no reason to make fun of someone not typing jackass.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

Nobody likes someone who just doesn't let people decide if they want to drink or not. We're all adults and can make our own decisions about such things. No reason to have the peer pressuring mentality of a middle school girl.

--ImageRemoved--

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:33 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:Somehow you made it through UG not drinking ok, and all of a sudden you are worried that you will be less accepted in LS? Makes no sense, you will be fine.

+1

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:34 pm

cubswin wrote:
notanumber wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:

I agree. Despite what some other non-drinkers are telling you, people are going to judge you if you tell them you tell them you aren't drinking because it's unhealthy, even if they don't say anything to your face.

Why don't you learn to enjoy a high-quality beer every now and then? You don't have to get drunk (or even come close to it), but nobody likes a teetotaler.

No. Most people aren't this judgmental. Do what you want to do and don't concern yourself with other people's opinions regarding how much/if you drink. I personally enjoy drinking, but don't pressure yourself into drinking because of career concerns. You're career (and your personal life) will be fine either way.

amclane

Postby amclane » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:
cubswin wrote:

+1...

There was no reason to make fun of someone not typing jackass.

Laughter is a good reason. I'm cracking up.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 pm

Pearalegal wrote:

I'm not saying I would peer pressure this person into drinking; I wouldn't waste my time. I'm just saying it's probably worth ordering a beer when you're in a bar where everyone else is drinking so that people don't think you're uptight.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”