1L job search - not sure what to do?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
futuremrsk

1L job search - not sure what to do?

Postby futuremrsk » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Hi all,

I have a question...I have run into some difficulty finding a job for the summer. I still have at least one interview for sure before I have to resort to summer school (yikes). My grades were good - 3.71 GPA and #11 in my class, but the job market where I am is awful - basically, the top 5 students got all the biglaw jobs, and everyone else is scrambing for what is leftover. This may be how it is everywhere - I never thought that my grades weren't good enough to get a job until now.

So here is my question - I am considering sending in applications to two judges, one federal and one state, who are looking for summer interns. Neither position is paid. Both judges are in the opposite part of the state that I live in, and I don't have any ties to those areas. Should I bother with looking into it? I have no idea where I would live for the summer or if I could even afford to live if the jobs were unpaid. Is it even possible?

Am I completely screwed for 2L OCI at this point? I am so stressed out.

Sean Bateman

Re: 1L job search - not sure what to do?

Postby Sean Bateman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes, it's laughable when a 0L offers advice to a 1L, i hear ya...but hey your looking for input so I'd say why not? What do you have to lose by sending the applications? I suppose it would help to know what state you are in, but relocating for the summer doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. I'm sure you could find a sublease or something if you did in fact land the jobs. I say go for it

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

You may be able to get the judicial positions, so go ahead and send the applications. The worst case scenario is that you spend a bit of time, and a couple of stamps and get nothing back. On the other hand, I thought it was too late to apply for one of those positions? Anyways, you should look into unpaid positions generally. You may be able to get a grant. Or, your school may award you credit (and funding) if you do the position as an externship. Check with your career services department, and your externship coordinator to see if this is possible.

Also, don't knock summer school. You could pair it with a couple of volunteer positions, which will give you some experience. You'll have some free time to chill out, and will be a few credits up for next year.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Are there any professors at you school that you could work for as a research assistant this summer?

GermX

Postby GermX » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:11 pm

So fucking scary, what law school are you at?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:47 pm

0Ls take heed...this is yet more evidence that one of the things you could do if you must do something this summer is start drawing up a mailing list.

Everyone I know that scoffed at job searching in Dec/Jan is now scrambling for scraps. Nowadays you can't wait until Feb/March to do things.

I didn't really mean to hijack the thread since this doesn't really seem to be what happened to OP, but 0Ls are always clamoring for something to do. Expect to send well over a hundred letters to get good enough offers to choose from.

Displeased

Postby Displeased » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:34 pm

You know there are thousands of public interest and government positions available, right?

Prosecutor's offices, public defenders, non-profits, government agencies, etc.

A great number, probably the majority, of 1Ls work PI gigs. Did you not apply for a single one, even as a backup?

If you are lucky, you might find a public defender whose willing to take you, but it is really late even for PI jobs.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:59 pm

What you do for the summer will not have a huge impact on 2L OCI so don't worry about that. Just keep those grades up and you should still have a shot.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 pm

wiseowl wrote:0Ls take heed...this is yet more evidence that one of the things you could do if you must do something this summer is start drawing up a mailing list.

Everyone I know that scoffed at job searching in Dec/Jan is now scrambling for scraps. Nowadays you can't wait until Feb/March to do things.

I didn't really mean to hijack the thread since this doesn't really seem to be what happened to OP, but 0Ls are always clamoring for something to do. Expect to send well over a hundred letters to get good enough offers to choose from.

A wise owl indeed.

Srsly: OP, contact every DA's office, public interest office, and judge within driving distance and offer to volunteer for free. Alternatively, take a stack of resumes to the courthouse and start working in concentric circles away from it, hitting every law office along the way. You need something on your resume for 2L OCI. You'll find something, it's just not going to come easy. As a fellow student ranked in a similar position, it's a hit to the ego/pride, but you'll make it through.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 pm

I think at this point you've got just to apply to everything that's legal and take the first thing you get. Even if you have to spend money relocating somewhere to work for no pay, the last thing you want your employers to see is that you couldn't secure a legal gig this summer.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”