Better first class for law School, Property or Contracts Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lostmymojo

New

Re: Better first class for law School, Property or Contracts

Post by lostmymojo » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 pm

What is legal bib?

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 pm

legal bibliography, a 1 hour class;

"Instruction in effective legal research skills through lecture and research exercises including the use of library materials, computerized legal research systems, LEXIS and WESTLAW."

So not really anything.. hehe

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:26 pm

I think both PSLaplace and lostmymojo are right about Civ Pro:

It should not be the first class you take if it's the only substantive class you're taking that semester, because the rules make much more sense when you've seen some of the law at work in your other classes.

Nevertheless, it is also not a good idea to defer it too much, because CivPro itself also helps understand what is going on in other courses.

My advice would be to start with either Contracts or Torts, and take CivPro in the second semester, along with whichever of the Tort/Contracts duo you didn't take the first semester.

PSLaplace

New

Post by PSLaplace » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:21 am

NewHere wrote:I think both PSLaplace and lostmymojo are right about Civ Pro:

It should not be the first class you take if it's the only substantive class you're taking that semester, because the rules make much more sense when you've seen some of the law at work in your other classes.

Nevertheless, it is also not a good idea to defer it too much, because CivPro itself also helps understand what is going on in other courses.

My advice would be to start with either Contracts or Torts, and take CivPro in the second semester, along with whichever of the Tort/Contracts duo you didn't take the first semester.
Exactly this.

I did not mean to suggest that Civ Pro should be deferred for as long as you can get away with. Indeed, I had Civ Pro my first semester (concurrently with Torts and Contracts) and I am very glad that I did. I was trying to suggest that if you're going to take only one class your first semester it should most definitely not be Civ Pro.

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:23 am

I'd take Civ Pro after the other "big" classes simply because most of the cases involve advanced Torts/Contracts/Property problems that don't make a whole hell of a lot of sense until you've encountered the subject matter some.

Personally I'd go with Torts over Contracts. It's a nice little introductory class - short cases, relatively simple fact patterns, easy rules, and it's at least kind of interesting. Most of the cases you'll read will probably be relatively modern, while many of your Contracts cases will be old and complicated. Some of those ancient Contracts cases can be excrutiatingly boring, and there isn't much a professor can do about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 am

I found Contracts to be easier....I don't know if that helps you (also seems to be more general of all the 1st year classes-i.e. most students learn the same things at any school/any semester/any professor)

username1

New

Post by username1 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 am

underachiever wrote:I found Contracts to be easier....I don't know if that helps you (also seems to be more general of all the 1st year classes-i.e. most students learn the same things at any school/any semester/any professor)
Yup, same material/books at Appalachian School of Law and HYS.

Torts has very interesting cases so check that out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”