Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
La Grind Date
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 am

Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby La Grind Date » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Sup guys,

I am reading Richard Montauk's book HOW TO GET INTO THE TOP LAW SCHOOLS. He suggests that 0Ls step up their legal writing games in order to do really well in the 1L year. He suggests taking a course in legal writing or taking a class in ordinary writing/copyediting. I wonder:

1. Do any of you guys know of an inexpensive/free course in legal writing on the 'net or in Wash DC?

2. Do any of you guys have book suggestions that might help me in this area.


Your help would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
mac.empress
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby mac.empress » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Ignore the dude who wrote the book.

/thread.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 pm

STA0815 wrote:Sup guys,

I am reading Richard Montauk's book HOW TO GET INTO THE TOP LAW SCHOOLS. He suggests that 0Ls step up their legal writing games in order to do really well in the 1L year. He suggests taking a course in legal writing or taking a class in ordinary writing/copyediting. I wonder:

1. Do any of you guys know of an inexpensive/free course in legal writing on the 'net or in Wash DC?

2. Do any of you guys have book suggestions that might help me in this area.


Your help would be greatly appreciated.


1. I wouldn't recommend paying for a legal writing course. The legal writing course at your LAW SCHOOL will count for only a few semester hours. And if you already know how to correctly construct simple, concise sentences, you'll push past many of your classmates.

2. To start, I'd get Bryan A. Garner's THE ELEMENTS OF LEGAL STYLE. You'll review the basics, get some helpful hints, and read prose written by some of our nation's best legal writers.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 pm

Why is TLS turning "law school" into "law skool" in my post? Is this some April Fool's joke?

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby 270910 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:06 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:Why is lishi turning "lawl skool" into "law skool" in my post? Is this some April Fool's joke?


Turning into? Are you feeling alright?

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby OperaAttorney » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:20 pm

disco_barred wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Why is lishi turning "lawl skool" into "law skool" in my post? Is this some April Fool's joke?


Turning into? Are you feeling alright?


In plain English: This website is screwing with my posts. When I type A and click on "submit," X shows up instead.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby 270910 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:Why is lishi turning "lawl skool" into "law skool" in my post? Is this some April Fool's joke?


Turning into? Are you feeling alright?


In plain English: This website is screwing with my posts. When I type A and click on "submit," X shows up instead.


Doesn't happen to me at all?

User avatar
vexion
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 am

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby vexion » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 pm

(urgh...)

It's a wordfilter imposed as an April Fool's joke. Certain common terms automatically turn into other terms. Including the aforementioned, a couple of acronyms (expression of laughter), the names of almost all of the T14 (excepting NYU for whatever reason), the word zero-L...

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:39 am

OperaAttorney wrote:
1. I wouldn't recommend paying for a legal writing course. The legal writing course at your lawl skool will count for only a few semester hours. And if you already know how to correctly construct simple, concise sentences, you'll push past many of your classmates.

2. To start, I'd get Bryan A. Garner's THE ELEMENTS OF LEGAL STYLE. You'll review the basics, get some helpful hints, and read prose written by some of our nation's best legal writers.

Agreed on both counts.

However, a general writing or editing class can only help. As mentioned above, plenty of law students can't correctly construct simple sentences, so if you can avoid being one of them you'll be in good shape. If you have the time and money to burn, a non-credit college writing class would only help.

User avatar
La Grind Date
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:35 am

Re: Looking for a Legal Writing Course/Books

Postby La Grind Date » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Renzo & OperaAttorney,

Thanks a lot for your advice!




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests