How do you get in the mood...

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
mac.empress

How do you get in the mood...

Postby mac.empress » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:57 pm

to study?

Today I've read 3 pages on express terms, eaten breakfast, watched Arsenal v Barca and talked to friends.

I'm behind in EVERYTHING but I really don't feel like studying right now.

What do you do that puts you in the mood to study? I have a study playlist but not even that is helping right now.

Cavalier

Re: How do you get in the mood...

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm

I have a framed 11" by 17" picture of Antonin Scalia mounted on the wall in front of my desk. With Scalia watching me, I always feel compelled to work on my outlines or do practice exams.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:12 pm

mac.empress wrote:to study?

Today I've read 3 pages on express terms, eaten breakfast, watched Arsenal v Barca and talked to friends.

What do you do that puts you in the mood to study? I have a study playlist but not even that is helping right now.

Your avatar.

What was the question?

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:17 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:

Your avatar.

What was the question?

*Laughs*

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm

That was a good match! So good!

Ahh...instead of doing book studying, you could try podcasts like Life of A Law Student. Listen to the one that matches whatever you should be studying. This way, you're at least getting new information. Later on, the motivation will come back, and you'll be able to study.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:29 pm

macattaq wrote:

That was a good match! So good!

Ahh...instead of doing book studying, you could try podcasts like Life of A Law Student. Listen to the one that matches whatever you should be studying. This way, you're at least getting new information. Later on, the motivation will come back, and you'll be able to study.

It was a fantastic match. Camp Nou looks exciting!

LOALS is American law. Broadly similar but not the same as Br./Commonwealth law. Thanks though.

macattaq

Postby macattaq » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:45 pm

Ahh...wasn't aware you are in a Commonwealth nation!

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Cavalier wrote:I have a framed 11" by 17" picture of Antonin Scalia mounted on the wall in front of my desk. With Scalia watching me, I always feel compelled to work on my outlines or do practice exams.

If this is true, I no longer value your opinion.

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:56 pm

If I'm really lacking motivation, I'll usually watch an inspirational or motivational movie. For example, I watched The Pursuit of Happyness fairly recently, which kind of helped me become motivated for a week or so. I figure that wasting 3 hours on a movie and then getting work done for another 7 hours or so is a pretty good trade off when I'd otherwise be unproductive all day.

Sometimes I'll read stuff online for a while, and other times, I'll just start working. I can't emphasize this enough: once you start working, it's easier to continue working. Think of it like overcoming the coefficient of static friction--we all know that overcoming static friction is more difficult than overcoming kinetic friction. Bad example, whatever.

Another cool trick that I'm learning comes from the book Getting Things Done... if you take short breaks regularly after doing something (e.g. work for an hour, take 5-10 minute break), you'll be phenomenally more productive. I used this method last semester for the last week and a half before finals...during that period, I read four E&Es cover to cover. I was averaging about one every other day near the end.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:59 pm

RP1983 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I have a framed 11" by 17" picture of Antonin Scalia mounted on the wall in front of my desk. With Scalia watching me, I always feel compelled to work on my outlines or do practice exams.

I always find it comical when law students talk all this crap about Supreme Court Justices but if a Justice ever uttered a single word to them they'd cherish the memory for the rest of their lives and brag to everyone about it.

It's like how democrats and republicans vehemently despise the President when it is not their party and just talk about the things "they'd tell him" if they ever met them. Then, when by chance they meet the President, they stand there frozen in awe with drool coming down their face muttering incoherent things about "me likey u Mizter Presidant....durhhhhh."

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:00 pm

I think about being broke. That honestly does it for me.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:05 pm

A'nold wrote:
RP1983 wrote:

I always find it comical when law students talk all this crap about Supreme Court Justices but if a Justice ever uttered a single word to them they'd cherish the memory for the rest of their lives and brag to everyone about it.

It's like how democrats and republicans vehemently despise the President when it is not their party and just talk about the things "they'd tell him" if they ever met them. Then, when by chance they meet the President, they stand there frozen in awe with drool coming down their face muttering incoherent things about "me likey u Mizter Presidant....durhhhhh."

The rest of us find it funny that you felt the need to comment about. Also I wouldn't give a tinker's damn if Scalia talked to me.

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Wow. I think you need a life. Did you ever have a girlfriend? Or any friends?

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 pm

Columbia Law wrote:

Cavalier's Joke

Your head

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:40 pm

You go to the library at 9am and leave at 7pm.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Columbia Law wrote:

I don't need any friends. I never get bored of staring in awe at Justice Scalia.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:02 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:

I think about being broke. That honestly does it for me.

I should stay forever motivated then...

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:03 pm

Grad_Student wrote:You go to the library at 9am and leave at 7pm.

So much stress to sneak food into the library though.

engineer

Postby engineer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 pm

mac.empress wrote:

Woah, they don't allow food/drinks at your school?? I'd die without hourly installments of five hour energy.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 pm

engineer wrote:
mac.empress wrote:

Woah, they don't allow food/drinks at your school?? I'd die without hourly installments of five hour energy.

They have kittens if they find out :(.

RP1983

Postby RP1983 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:50 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:

I don't need any friends. I never get bored of staring in awe at Justice Scalia.

--ImageRemoved--

engineer

Postby engineer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 am

RP1983 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I HATE THE FRIEND ZONE.

mac.empress

Postby mac.empress » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 pm

engineer wrote:
RP1983 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I HATE THE FRIEND ZONE.

A good many people live there. Some without even knowing it.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:31 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
A'nold wrote:
RP1983 wrote:

It's like how tastycrats and fingerlicans vehemently despise the President when it is not their party and just talk about the things "they'd tell him" if they ever met them. Then, when by chance they meet the President, they stand there frozen in awe with drool coming down their face muttering incoherent things about "me likey u Mizter Presidant....durhhhhh."

The rest of us find it funny that you felt the need to comment about. Also I wouldn't give a tinker's damn if Scalia talked to me.

Case in point.

eros

Postby eros » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:57 am

arsenal-barca what a game...2nd leg will surely be even more epic!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”