What path should I take for State Attorney's Office Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Andreeai

New

What path should I take for State Attorney's Office

Post by Andreeai » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:30 pm

I am an 0L and I want to intern 1L and 2L, and hopefully get a job at the State Attorney's Office upon graduation.

Could any of you that interned/got jobs at State Attorney's Offices could share what exactly did you do to land the internship/job?
What would you avoid? Mistakes that you or other people did that hurt your chances, etc?
What classes did you focus on?

Any advice or experience will help.

I am in South Florida, will be attending UM and ideally aiming for Miami's State Attorney's Office, but open to offices all around South FLorida.

username1

New

Re: What path should I take for State Attorney's Office

Post by username1 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Go intern there, that's what I am currently doing.

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

New

Post by Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:25 pm

Clerkships/internships at your local DA or State AG office. If your school has a Criminal Law Society or something along those lines, be sure to get involved and become an officer of it and put together events for both educational and networking purposes.

Also, if certain judges were former members of the State AG office, look into internships or post-graduate clerkships with them, as they may still have some pull in recommending you for a job.

Note: I don't work for a state AG or DA, but the advice I just gave seems pretty standard for any line of work. Hope it helps.

AJaKe

Bronze

Post by AJaKe » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:47 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Sorry for bumping an old topic (not really), but I am curious as to an answer for this. What is a CLI? I will be attending FSU or UF but will be down in Miami for the summers. I spent some time interning with SA over the past year while at the courthouse, is there any other advice besides finishing at the top of the class?

conn09

Silver

Post by conn09 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:29 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Sorry for bumping an old topic (not really), but I am curious as to an answer for this. What is a CLI? I will be attending FSU or UF but will be down in Miami for the summers. I spent some time interning with SA over the past year while at the courthouse, is there any other advice besides finishing at the top of the class?
Certified Legal Intern. It's for those who have completed 2 years of law school and taken evidence. It allows you to make appearances in court and argue cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”