Tax Bar Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
motiontodismiss

Silver

Tax Bar

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:14 pm

Is it possible to self-study for the tax bar? (can't sit for the patent bar with my useless social science degree)

Looks like it tests on four areas:
-Tax court rules of Practice and Procedure
-Federal Taxation (Duh)
-Federal Rules of Evidence
-Ethics/Professional Responsibility

Has anyone done this pre-graduation before? It looks like the only people that have to take the exam to be admitted are non-lawyers and if you are a lawyer you're admitted by motion.
I'm hoping to take the tax bar in 2012 (given every 2 years in October I think). How seriously do they take the whole sponsor thing? Apparently you have to have two recommendations from two sponsors that are already members of the tax bar. Is it possible for one to sit for it without a sponsor and get the letters of recommendation after one finds out they passed? I don't want to have to study for 9 months only to find out I can't take the tax bar until 2014 because of the sponsorship thing.

Does having taken the tax bar actually help for 2L OCI? Or do they not really care?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks :mrgreen:

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Re: Tax Bar

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:25 pm

What purpose would taking the U.S. Tax Court examination serve? The examination is only for non-attorneys who wish to represent parties with claims before the court; attorneys who are admitted to practice in any state (or the District of Columbia) need only submit the required documentation and pay a small fee.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:27 pm

So I don't have to be sitting on my hands the whole time while waiting to see if I got into the bar.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I don't think you understand the process.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Pray tell, exactly what is the process?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:54 pm

Rc fail

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:21 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:Pray tell, exactly what is the process?
Look, if you have your heart set on going through the non-attorney admissions process, have at it. Attorney admission to the U.S. Tax Court is a simple, non-discretionary, ministerial function, as is admission to any federal court. Non-attorney admission is not. I fail to see the value in undertaking an unnecessary and time-consuming process, and expect that employers are likely to reach similar conclusions.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:41 pm

I imagine that if you took the tax bar as a 1L OCI interviewers would think you are an odd duck. The only possible advantage this would confer to you is allowing you to practice before the tax court for the 4 months you wait for your bar results.

If you go biglaw, you won't be starting until September/Oct. anyways- and there is absolutely no way you would end up in court before your bar results came in. If you go to a small firm, it's still very unlikely you will end up in front of the tax court in that narrow time frame. You wouldn't have enough time to get a client and go to trial in that time frame as a solo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”