Moot Court Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which Option?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:53 am

Option 1
56%
Option 2
22%
Option 3
22%

Total votes: 9

GrapeApe

New

Moot Court

Post by GrapeApe » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:53 am

If one goes to a law school where participation in the 1L moot court tournament is mandatory, and one happens to advance in the tournament, what is the best way to get out of advancing any further?

Option 1: Purposefully lower performance in the next round in order to lose. If this option is taken, how far should one go? Would getting up, giving the opening statement from "My Cousin Vinny" and sitting down be taking this too far?

Option 2: Tell the profs ahead of time that you don't want to do it? Would this burn any bridges in the future? Is there a way to take this option without burning bridges?

Option 3: Go, give it your best shot, but do not show up for the next round of ranking, thus forcing the next seed in line to replace you.

What would be the better choice?

nealric

Re: Moot Court

Post by nealric » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 am

I would just put in the minimum effort required not to embarrass yourself.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:13 am

GrapeApe wrote:If one goes to a law school where participation in the 1L moot court tournament is mandatory, and one happens to advance in the tournament, what is the best way to get out of advancing any further?

Option 1: Purposefully lower performance in the next round in order to lose. If this option is taken, how far should one go? Would getting up, giving the opening statement from "My Cousin Vinny" and sitting down be taking this too far?

Option 2: Tell the profs ahead of time that you don't want to do it? Would this burn any bridges in the future? Is there a way to take this option without burning bridges?

Option 3: Go, give it your best shot, but do not show up for the next round of ranking, thus forcing the next seed in line to replace you.

What would be the better choice?
I'd check the policies. At some schools you are honor-court bound to do your best once you proceed, so if you tank you'd have to do it artfully.

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:37 pm

If you really don't want to do it, just show up and argue without preparing. It doesn't cost you anything, and if you make it all the way you can turn the offer down.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:04 am

Two questions re: the OP-
1) Is the performance in your round graded?
2) Does pulling out of the round preclude you from participating in competitions later?

If the answer to both is no: option 1 seems to be the best answer (though I'm not sure it's the right one).

Don't ever pick option 2 or 3.

QueueToo

New

Post by QueueToo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:05 pm

I feel called to question the premise of your question. Is there any real harm in progressing as far as your merits take you?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”