Legendary gunner in the making?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AngryAvocado

Re: Legendary gunner in the making?

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:42 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:Someone who was visiting vandy on the same day as me had a big legal pad out writing stuff (this was in a legislation/regulatory state class--think uber boring) and was scribbling stuff. In her binder, I saw a big thing of business cards (she went to a school of business in alabama) with her name on it. At the end of class she gave the prof her card. Oh yea, and she brought her parents with her too...

Pretty epic. That reminds me of a story about a kid in my corporate training program. During orientation, all 100 or so of us were divided into groups of about 5-6 people. I instantly knew this one kid, from an ivy UG and with a preppy name and supremely douchey air about him, was a gunner (the kid had business cards already made and this was the first day of orientation). We'll call him Timmy the Toolbag (TT).

Anyhow, to start off orientation, we had to do this "team-building excercise" where each group had to build a tower out of toothpicks and marshmallows and the team with the tallest tower after 15 minutes won. Immediately, TT speaks up and says one of his several minors at X ivy was architecture, so he would design a blueprint while we started making little toothpick&marshmellow building blocks. After a couple minutes, he shows us his ridiculously complex blueprint and my team starts furiously building as I watched (thoroughly amused) and pretend to help. Shortly thereafter, it becomes quite obvious that our plan isn't working and that other teams are way farther along. TT starts yelling at us, insisting that it's our fault for not following his instructions, and basically starts pouting. Then, the program director threw a curveball at us and said everyone had to switch groups and end up in a different group than the one they started with.

What happens? The kid makes a beeline for the tallest tower, running over about 6 kids in the process, but not before I catch a glimpse of him knocking over our tower to ensure that whoever got stuck with it was basically screwed. Epic.

Moral of the story: Gunners are everywhere. Everywhere.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:52 am

^^^ :shock:

timshel

Postby timshel » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:54 am

hahahah ^^ that's awesome

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:17 am

Wow!

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:56 am

Surprised prof. didn't ask the guy to leave and please not attend...

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:09 am

Muckduck wrote:Surprised prof. didn't ask the guy to leave and please not attend...

It happened after UG when I was working, not in law school. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I just happened to think of it when chicoalto posted her story about the girl with the business cards.

I don't even think the lady running the orientation noticed, but she was clueless so she'd have probably thought he was just a "hard-worker." He did become pretty legendary with some of the kids in his division, though.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:28 am

I have worked in construction and that is more or less how I went about building things. Namely, out of marshmallows and toothpicks.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:12 pm

Jules Winnfield wrote:Isn't it the gunners who usually end up getting just average grades?

I don't think so. I think people just want them too so badly that those who do are notorious for being failed gunners.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:13 pm

eldizknee wrote:
Yeah. I saw you posting in the Emory forums so I put two and two together. Had to be the same person. I thought it was goofy but didn't realize it'd be hot gossip at the whole school!

To the 2L's no less. If you break the 1L/2L gossip barrier you know you have shamed yourself.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”