1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Your Class Rank - Top:

1-5%
65
31%
5-10%
30
14%
10-15%
12
6%
15-25%
21
10%
25-50%
44
21%
50% and below
41
19%
 
Total votes: 213

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby Unemployed » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:43 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Oh, the panda? I was visiting FG in San Diego, and we went to the zoo. They usually sleep all day, but this one was munching on bamboo, and he looked up as we passed. I took the picture with my phone.

LRW is going to be my lowest grade. I have a feeling about this, and I'm not usually wrong. Should I take this as evidence that I'm not cut out for litigation? I seem to be good at property, and classifying estates.... nonprofit transactional work FTW?


Apparently someone got a B+ on an otherwise A-level brief because he consistently forgot to italicize the period in Id. :shock:

Yeah, somehow I don't think a bad LRW grade portends poor performance as a litigator.

Also, LOL at nonprofit transaction.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby A'nold » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Oh, the panda? I was visiting FG in San Diego, and we went to the zoo. They usually sleep all day, but this one was munching on bamboo, and he looked up as we passed. I took the picture with my phone.

LRW is going to be my lowest grade. I have a feeling about this, and I'm not usually wrong. Should I take this as evidence that I'm not cut out for litigation? I seem to be good at property, and classifying estates.... nonprofit transactional work FTW?


Apparently someone got a B+ on an otherwise A-level brief because he consistently forgot to italicize the period in Id. :shock:

Yeah, somehow I don't think a bad LRW grade portends poor performance as a litigator.

Also, LOL at nonprofit transaction.


Is this ALWD or Blue Book? For ALWD, you are NOT supposed to italicize the period.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby Unemployed » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:48 pm

A'nold wrote:
Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Oh, the panda? I was visiting FG in San Diego, and we went to the zoo. They usually sleep all day, but this one was munching on bamboo, and he looked up as we passed. I took the picture with my phone.

LRW is going to be my lowest grade. I have a feeling about this, and I'm not usually wrong. Should I take this as evidence that I'm not cut out for litigation? I seem to be good at property, and classifying estates.... nonprofit transactional work FTW?


Apparently someone got a B+ on an otherwise A-level brief because he consistently forgot to italicize the period in Id. :shock:

Yeah, somehow I don't think a bad LRW grade portends poor performance as a litigator.

Also, LOL at nonprofit transaction.


Is this ALWD or Blue Book? For ALWD, you are NOT supposed to italicize the period.


Pretty sure it was Blue Book. "Id." is an abbreviation for "idem," and since the period is part of the word that is supposed to be italicized/underlined in whole, it must also be italicized/underlined.

I have no idea how someone was able to distinguish an italicized period from a regular one. :shock:

Leeroy Jenkins
Posts: 1003
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:52 pm

Unemployed wrote:I have no idea how someone was able to distinguish an italicized period from a regular one. :shock:

In MS Word, the italicized periods are bigger.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Unemployed wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Oh, the panda? I was visiting FG in San Diego, and we went to the zoo. They usually sleep all day, but this one was munching on bamboo, and he looked up as we passed. I took the picture with my phone.

LRW is going to be my lowest grade. I have a feeling about this, and I'm not usually wrong. Should I take this as evidence that I'm not cut out for litigation? I seem to be good at property, and classifying estates.... nonprofit transactional work FTW?


Apparently someone got a B+ on an otherwise A-level brief because he consistently forgot to italicize the period in Id. :shock:

Yeah, somehow I don't think a bad LRW grade portends poor performance as a litigator.

Also, LOL at nonprofit transaction.


It exists! I'll be doing just that this summer.

Also, your LRW is P/F, is it not? You'll still get to check your favorite box.

User avatar
macattaq
Posts: 441
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby macattaq » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:59 pm

I don't know. Either the school hasn't released them, or I am too stupid to figure it out.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby OperaSoprano » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 am

macattaq wrote:I don't know. Either the school hasn't released them, or I am too stupid to figure it out.


If you get the cutoffs from previous years, you can track down someone on here who is good with statistics and politely request an estimate.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby ggocat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:07 am

arundodonax wrote:Those of you who posted here before starting law school, where were you in class rank after completing your first semester? I am wondering if there is any merit to the argument that the majority of TLS users do well their first year.

With Curiosity and General Optimism,

0L

I responded to "first year," but maybe you should clarify in the initial post because your question asks for "first semester."

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby kimber1028 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:11 am

A'nold wrote:Is this ALWD or Blue Book? For ALWD, you are NOT supposed to italicize the period.


11.3(c), dear. Sorry about that.

RP1983
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby RP1983 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:40 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Why would someone lie on an anonymous poll?

Probably the same reason people lie on an anonymous internet forum.

Lulz and insecurity.



+1

If someone hasn't reckognized the amount of insecurity in these forums by now, they probably should consider never going to law school, or any type of school for that matter.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby A'nold » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:41 pm

kimber1028 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Is this ALWD or Blue Book? For ALWD, you are NOT supposed to italicize the period.


11.3(c), dear. Sorry about that.



Actually, I just looked this up and it doesn't say either way. It says to underline the period if underlining but doesn't mention italicizing the period. My professor reminded us like once a week to never italicize the period and that she could tell the difference. Maybe an old school thing that has changed?

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby RVP11 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:03 pm

RP1983 wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:Why would someone lie on an anonymous poll?

Probably the same reason people lie on an anonymous internet forum.

Lulz and insecurity.



+1

If someone hasn't reckognized the amount of insecurity in these forums by now, they probably should consider never going to law school, or any type of school for that matter.


Talking to me?

Call me naive, but I generally believe that people don't lie to themselves, even for "lulz," and no matter how insecure they are. The American legal system makes the same presumption.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby ggocat » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 pm

A'nold wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Is this ALWD or Blue Book? For ALWD, you are NOT supposed to italicize the period.


11.3(c), dear. Sorry about that.



Actually, I just looked this up and it doesn't say either way. It says to underline the period if underlining but doesn't mention italicizing the period. My professor reminded us like once a week to never italicize the period and that she could tell the difference. Maybe an old school thing that has changed?

Your prof reminds me of a college English professor who says you can't begin a sentence with a conjunction.

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby sperry » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:28 am

<----- Not in the top 5%. Had one class I thought was hard, so I studied really hard for it. Did really well. Had 3 other classes that I thought were easy and didn't study hard for . Did not do really well. I think I see a correlation...

sperry
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby sperry » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 am

Also, I don't think people are lying, just think there is a major selection bias, if people are anything like me. I liked to vote in the LSAT score polls when I was applying, because I bitchslapped that thing. The class rank/ grades polls, not so much.

User avatar
mac.empress
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby mac.empress » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:04 am

sperry wrote:<----- Not in the top 5%. Had one class I thought was hard, so I studied really hard for it. Did really well. Had 3 other classes that I thought were easy and didn't study hard for . Did not do really well. I think I see a correlation...


I too see the correlation.

User avatar
kimber1028
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:44 am

A'nold wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:
A'nold wrote:Is this ALWD or Blue Book? For ALWD, you are NOT supposed to italicize the period.


11.3(c), dear. Sorry about that.



Actually, I just looked this up and it doesn't say either way. It says to underline the period if underlining but doesn't mention italicizing the period. My professor reminded us like once a week to never italicize the period and that she could tell the difference. Maybe an old school thing that has changed?


I don't know. I always took the underlined period to mean that the period is italicized if you're using the right typeface. My professor reminded us often to always italicize the period. It sounds like it's a matter of preference.

Edit: Did anyone see that? Apparently I shouldn't be spelling out :lol: .

engineer
Posts: 278
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:51 am

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby engineer » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 am

kimber1028 wrote:I don't know. I always took the underlined period to mean that the period is italicized if you're using the right typeface. My professor reminded us often to always italicize the period. It sounds like it's a matter of preference.

Edit: Did anyone see that? Apparently I shouldn't be spelling out :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable: .


Maybe I'm just stupid, but how do you italicize a period? A period is supposed to be a circle....

If you can tell the difference between . and ., you really need to get laid.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby A'nold » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:20 pm

engineer wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:I don't know. I always took the underlined period to mean that the period is italicized if you're using the right typeface. My professor reminded us often to always italicize the period. It sounds like it's a matter of preference.

Edit: Did anyone see that? Apparently I shouldn't be spelling out :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable: .


Maybe I'm just stupid, but how do you italicize a period? A period is supposed to be a circle....

If you can tell the difference between . and ., you really need to get laid.


My professor consistently warned us that he/she could tell.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby ggocat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:21 pm

A'nold wrote:
engineer wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:I don't know. I always took the underlined period to mean that the period is italicized if you're using the right typeface. My professor reminded us often to always italicize the period. It sounds like it's a matter of preference.

Edit: Did anyone see that? Apparently I shouldn't be spelling out :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable: .


Maybe I'm just stupid, but how do you italicize a period? A period is supposed to be a circle....

If you can tell the difference between . and ., you really need to get laid.
\
My professor consistently warned us that he/she could tell.

I can usually tell, depending on the font. Commas are easier, though.

User avatar
mikeytwoshoes
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 pm

ggocat wrote:
A'nold wrote:
engineer wrote:
kimber1028 wrote:I don't know. I always took the underlined period to mean that the period is italicized if you're using the right typeface. My professor reminded us often to always italicize the period. It sounds like it's a matter of preference.

Edit: Did anyone see that? Apparently I shouldn't be spelling out :your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable: .


Maybe I'm just stupid, but how do you italicize a period? A period is supposed to be a circle....

If you can tell the difference between . and ., you really need to get laid.
\
My professor consistently warned us that he/she could tell.

I can usually tell, depending on the font. Commas are easier, though.

You must be so proud! :roll:

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: 1L+ lishi'ers, where were you in your first year class rank

Postby ggocat » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:You must be so proud! :roll:

Nope! :wink:

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby Unemployed » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:39 pm

With all due credit to autoadmit...

If you have the mean GPA and at least one other data point (e.g. 3.7 = top 10%), and assuming normal distribution, you can figure out roughly where each GPA falls within the distribution.

http://psych.colorado.edu/~mcclella/java/normal/handlenormal.html

Try a bunch of values for standard deviation until the curve conforms with your data points. I found the standard deviation to usually falls around .15-.35.

[omits disclaimer about methodological limitations and inaccuracy]

StudentAthlete
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

Re: 1L+ TLS'ers, where were you in your first year class rank?

Postby StudentAthlete » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:23 pm

22% lol




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], doyonwon123, zhenders and 16 guests