Poll: Do you regret going to law school Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Do you regret going to law school

Yes, I am no interested in practicing law
7%
Yes, for financial reasons
10%
Yes, for both of the above reasons
6%
Yes, other
5%
No
72%

Total votes: 213

articulably suspect

Bronze

Re: Poll: Do you regret going to law school

Post by articulably suspect » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:44 pm

SteelReserve wrote: For many more, it is the billable hour system; it is a partner throwing a brief at you over the weekend so you cannot see your friends or family; it's spending 8-10 hours in front of a computer screen clicking through case law on Lexis and editing citations; it is the difficulty in collecting money from clients; it's the fact that (like law school) you never get to just clock out at the end of the day, you just have more work on your mind throughout the night and over the weekends.
Although this is perhaps an undeniable reality...it's not necessarily applicable to all practice areas.

mikeytwoshoes

Silver

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:9.5. I took .5 off for the curve and bluebooking.
I vote that Opera should not be allowed to answer questions requiring some degree of objectivity.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:48 am

SBimmer wrote:OP is a jerk (and that's being nice). Check out his comments on

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/acdisagod/jd
How in anyway am I a jerk? Some guy was bitching like crazy and calling Georgetown racist because he didn't get in with a 156 LSAT. I said he should consider himself lucky he got in where he did and he wouldn't have gotten into those schools if he was white so his race worked in his favor, not against him.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:49 am

I realize race is a controversial issue so I could have approached it more delicately, but to feel entitled to Georgetown with a 156 LSAT is absurd. To then call Georgetown racist rightwing fucks for not letting him in is more absurd. To say that race helped him not hurt him isn't really controversial though is it?

Sbimmer, are you the LSN poster who called Georgetown right wing racist fucks?

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:23 pm

acdisagod wrote:

How in anyway am I a jerk? Some guy was bitching like crazy and calling Georgetown racist because he didn't get in with a 156 LSAT. I said he should consider himself lucky he got in where he did and he wouldn't have gotten into those schools if he was white so his race worked in his favor, not against him.
On the topic of race, I fully intend to write this on my census form, when I get around to it:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm

engineer wrote:
acdisagod wrote:

On the topic of race, I fully intend to write this on my census form, when I get around to it:
Blatant Boalt/Hippie trolling

solotee

Bronze

Post by solotee » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

nm

skeptrix

New

Post by skeptrix » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:41 am

There are some days when I regret going to law school. I'm a 1L and the first semester is close to being over, so I've done a lot self-evaluation lately.

My main worry is that I'm just not mature enough for this yet. I graduated from undergrad in three years and I started law school literally two weeks after my undergrad commencement with very little work experience (in journalism and public relations). I never dreamed about being a lawyer until about junior year of undergrad. I came to law school because I did have a sincere interest in the law and thought I would enjoy learning about it/practicing it, but I wasn't 100% positive if I WOULD enjoy learning about it/practicing it. I have a huge interest in human rights, specifically in the international setting, and IP as well, but I probably could've taken time off to explore more of what was out there. Unfortunately, I was too stubborn to. I understand better now why people say to take time off before going to law school, and I would recommend to current 0Ls to take time off. Yet I don't want to say that I really regret not taking time off myself....because I honestly don't REALLY regret it, if that makes any sense....

There are days when I feel like I made the right decision to go to law school--with the exception of property, I love all of my classes and I love listening to the discussions that we have. I love the substance. I can honestly say I LOVE writing memos. I get excited and can't wait to start interning/externing. But still I feel overwhelmed competing with people who have had years of work experience. I'm not as quick of a thinker compared to my peers; I seriously break down in the socratic method and I need time to think without 90 other people waiting for me to answer. I was called on in class a few weeks ago and was simply asked to state the facts of the case, and my mind just shut down and all I could think about was that I WASN'T thinking.

I also haven't found too many people that I feel like I can relate with; it takes time for me to warm up to people and I've been a hermit for a lot of this semester, so right now I'm having that "I don't fit in with my classmates" complex. :roll: It's feeling too much like high school, which I absolutely hated--being stuck with the same people all throughout the day for the entire year....I hate it. And this worries me also because we're constantly hearing how small the law community is.

I don't know what it is. I like being in law school and learning, but I just feel self-conscious and I'm constantly doubting myself in my ability to do well. I have this feeling that 2L is just going to be a lot better for me, though.

Rant ends here. :?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:05 pm

solidsnake wrote:
rayiner wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Agreed. I actually love the curve. I like being ranked and objectified, treated like a valuable but ultimately fungible commodity instead of some whiny liberal with feelings.
I love it because it teaches whiny liberals with feelings (of which there are plenty in law school) that they're not special.
Yes, there is something so satisfying when you see that spark in their eyes go dim at the moment they realize mommy lied to them for all those years.
haha I feel bad but it is sorta funny.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:09 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:
heyguys wrote:I honestly feel like going to law school was the worst decision I have made in my life. In fact, I'm still at the hyperbolic 'this decision has ruined at least my 20s' point in the process of dealing with having made the decision. If it weren't for the debt, I would be back home.
Damn and you're going to Yale.
I am glad I went, but the 20s thing is kinda sad. I still have a good time here and there, but my non-law school friends definitely go out more than I do.

BUT keep in mind - 3L year. 9 months of slacking. Plus bar trip after that. So......still some time to enjoy your 20s before biglaw sucks your soul out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”