suits for OCI (for women)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby nygrrrl » Sun May 01, 2011 8:37 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
tiniestdancer7 wrote:are open-toed shoes always out?


To be on the safe side, yeah. I would wear peep toe pumps to even the most conservative of workplaces, but would feel strange wearing them at an interview. I'm not sure everyone agrees with me, but my read on it.

I'm so glad to see you say this, because this is exactly how I feel and I was worried I was too old school! Never to an interview, never to court. Just my personal feelings, no judgment of others!

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby jrose5 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:40 pm

Can someone tell me what OCI is?

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Lwoods » Sun May 01, 2011 8:49 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:IMO, women can and should buy suit separates. I got mine marked down at the Theory outlet, and I usually add a white silk blouse with a gray skirt suit, or a nude silk blouse with black. Most of my friends are different sizes on the top and bottom, and it is rare to find a suit that fits perfectly off the rack, even if you are pretty proportional. I am also partial to J Crew and Club Monaco, but my preference is to head to an outlet center and spend the day trying things on to see what you can find. Bring the shoes, blouse, and undergarments you plan to wear, as this can make your life a lot easier.

FTR, a simple silk blouse looks classier than a button down, and if you are at all busty, you won't have to worry about the button gap or the cleavage issue, provided you don't buy something low cut. Pearls are not necessary-- a small, unique piece of jewelry can work fine, so long as it isn't distracting.


Not surprisingly, I agree with OS, particularly the bolded. :)

Theory outlet is perfect. I also have had good experiences with Calvin Klein and Kenneth Cole (both regular and outlet). if you're located in the middle of the country, The Limited is also great for suiting on a budget.

For comfortable 3"+ pumps, I love Kenneth Cole 925. The original line was perfect. Now they've branched out a little, and some styles are ugly and/or inappropriate for a law firm, but there are still a few good styles out there.

User avatar
skw
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby skw » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

Any ideas on good stores for very small suits? I am a double zero and have had major problems finding suits that fit. In my previous career I could get by with business casual, but now that I need formal suits I'm not sure where to start. I know Bananna Republic and Ann Taylor offer 00s but you typically have to order them (as in you can't try them on in the store). Any advice on a brick and mortar shop where I can actually try on suits in my size is appreciated.

User avatar
skw
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby skw » Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 pm

jrose5 wrote:Can someone tell me what OCI is?

On Campus Interviews

User avatar
tiniestdancer7
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 pm

skw wrote:Any ideas on good stores for very small suits? I am a double zero and have had major problems finding suits that fit. In my previous career I could get by with business casual, but now that I need formal suits I'm not sure where to start. I know Bananna Republic and Ann Taylor offer 00s but you typically have to order them (as in you can't try them on in the store). Any advice on a brick and mortar shop where I can actually try on suits in my size is appreciated.

i have very similar problems and i'm really really short. i find ann taylor and banana republic to have pretty good petite sizes with some really good sales. plus finding a good tailor is a must (at least if you're problem is height)...and j.crew is ok but i never find anything in stock :(

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Lwoods » Sun May 01, 2011 9:46 pm

skw wrote:Any ideas on good stores for very small suits? I am a double zero and have had major problems finding suits that fit. In my previous career I could get by with business casual, but now that I need formal suits I'm not sure where to start. I know Bananna Republic and Ann Taylor offer 00s but you typically have to order them (as in you can't try them on in the store). Any advice on a brick and mortar shop where I can actually try on suits in my size is appreciated.


The trouble with being that tiny is that most American mass stores don't find it worth it to make those sizes (because Americans tend to be... bigger). Although Ann Taylor carries 00 (which I think you can find in stores in NYC...), they still have major vanity sizing. I worked in the petite department of a midwest department store one summer in college, and the smallest size we carried was a 4. 4!

So, you'll probably have more luck with stores that are aiming for a more niche demographic. OS's suggestion Theory is a good suggestion. While pricey, they do have outlets. They go down to a 00, and I don't think they have vanity sizing. Thomas Pink is another (note: they're European sizes, so you'll need to convert), but also very pricey. You might have better luck for now getting a couple okay-fitting suits that you then get tailored. You should also check out boutiques.

User avatar
tiniestdancer7
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:49 pm

i mean mixing and maxing with junior dept's sometimes makes things better too

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby forty-two » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Does anyone know what stores make good tops for bustier people? I know I'll need to end up tailoring most things anyway, but I can't even see how things are supposed to fit a lot of the time when I'm shopping (I'm pretty thin, but I typically have to get large tops...so I usually just end up swimming in fabric all around my midsection and don't know what it's actually supposed to look like). Sigh, I hate the fact that nothing ever seems to fit me :(

User avatar
tiniestdancer7
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:33 pm

unfortunately i don't have that problem...though i'll trade ya hehe

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Lwoods » Sun May 01, 2011 10:40 pm

forty-two wrote:Does anyone know what stores make good tops for bustier people? I know I'll need to end up tailoring most things anyway, but I can't even see how things are supposed to fit a lot of the time when I'm shopping (I'm pretty thin, but I typically have to get large tops...so I usually just end up swimming in fabric all around my midsection and don't know what it's actually supposed to look like). Sigh, I hate the fact that nothing ever seems to fit me :(


I've actually had good experiences with NY&Co... though their styles are hit or miss, their fit is pretty good. The only button up shirts I have anymore are from there. That said, I don't like button up shirts and instead try to stick to blouses. Since moving back to the Midwest, I've gone pretty crazy nabbing sleeveless blouses/shells that go well under shirt jackets from The Limited. They tend to include a smidgen of spandex, which help the shape.
White House | Black Market is my truly dangerous store. Whenever I go in, I almost always come out with more than I had planned on purchasing.

User avatar
tiniestdancer7
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Lwoods wrote:
forty-two wrote:Does anyone know what stores make good tops for bustier people? I know I'll need to end up tailoring most things anyway, but I can't even see how things are supposed to fit a lot of the time when I'm shopping (I'm pretty thin, but I typically have to get large tops...so I usually just end up swimming in fabric all around my midsection and don't know what it's actually supposed to look like). Sigh, I hate the fact that nothing ever seems to fit me :(


I've actually had good experiences with NY&Co... though their styles are hit or miss, their fit is pretty good. The only button up shirts I have anymore are from there. That said, I don't like button up shirts and instead try to stick to blouses. Since moving back to the Midwest, I've gone pretty crazy nabbing sleeveless blouses/shells that go well under shirt jackets from The Limited. They tend to include a smidgen of spandex, which help the shape.
White House | Black Market is my truly dangerous store. Whenever I go in, I almost always come out with more than I had planned on purchasing.

that's where i got my prom dress from

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby forty-two » Sun May 01, 2011 11:10 pm

Lwoods wrote:I've actually had good experiences with NY&Co... though their styles are hit or miss, their fit is pretty good. The only button up shirts I have anymore are from there. That said, I don't like button up shirts and instead try to stick to blouses. Since moving back to the Midwest, I've gone pretty crazy nabbing sleeveless blouses/shells that go well under shirt jackets from The Limited. They tend to include a smidgen of spandex, which help the shape.
White House | Black Market is my truly dangerous store. Whenever I go in, I almost always come out with more than I had planned on purchasing.

Thank you!! Yeah, I don't really like button downs either, but silk shells and blouses can look awkward on me too when they don't fit...which is pretty much always haha. I'll definitely check out other fabrics and blouses at the stores you mentioned though.

tiniestdancer7 wrote:unfortunately i don't have that problem...though i'll trade ya hehe

Haha I'd be totally down for that trade. Just be ready to have no dresses fit you ever

User avatar
tiniestdancer7
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:18 pm

hehe yayy. be ready for too long pants and sleeves! oh and never wearing flats...ever!

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Lwoods » Sun May 01, 2011 11:50 pm

forty-two wrote:Thank you!! Yeah, I don't really like button downs either, but silk shells and blouses can look awkward on me too when they don't fit...which is pretty much always haha. I'll definitely check out other fabrics and blouses at the stores you mentioned though.

Yeah, most of my tops are polyester or rayon. Other than having to hang-dry the rayon items, they're pretty low maintenance fibers. The smidgen of spandex is just to help with shaping. Typically, a fiber can only be listed on the tag if it's 5% or more of the garment, but spandex is often an exception because it performs a specific function. 1-3% is desirable.

Silk is an amazing fiber because it has luxurious hand, but it can be difficult to wear as a blouse if it's not specifically tailored.

Happy shirt shopping! :)

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 am

Hey girls, I'm very short and skinny and I get all my skirts from BEBE. They have 00 and because much of the time they have spandex in them they fit just fine. I normally have to get them hemmed but sometime i get lucky and because BEBE makes shorter skirts they're fine. I also buy steve madden and guess heels because they are comfortable and not too much $$ :) I'd try there! Unfortunately I cannot wear any bottom from Ann Taylor because they are too big even in the petite section. If anyone can let me know where to find slacks or suit pants in basically a triple zero or smaller I'd appreciate it. :) I've tried everywhere I can think of and no brand makes pants for me... they are all way too long in the crotch and too bog around the waist. too many issues for me to want to take it to a tailor and have them re-make my pants. or should i just buy some and have them ripped apart and put back together by a tailor? lol

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby worldtraveler » Mon May 02, 2011 12:23 am

forty-two wrote:Does anyone know what stores make good tops for bustier people? I know I'll need to end up tailoring most things anyway, but I can't even see how things are supposed to fit a lot of the time when I'm shopping (I'm pretty thin, but I typically have to get large tops...so I usually just end up swimming in fabric all around my midsection and don't know what it's actually supposed to look like). Sigh, I hate the fact that nothing ever seems to fit me :(


In what size? Simplybe, a British company, makes button downs in different cup sizes but goes from sizes 10-28. I also can't really wear button downs because of my chest size so i just wear a nice camisole or like a silk shell or something.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 am

For tiny sizes, I recommend Club Monaco and BCBG. I am sure the former has suiting in size 00, and I have seen that size at the latter. I am also tiny but curvy, and I solve the problem by buying designer (tends to nip in at the waist) for anything tailored. Since I am not loaded (going into public interest), this involves some digging at outlets and consignment stores. For non interview work clothing, I've come up with Zac Posen dresses at 90% off. (These were sourced at consignment stores in the East Village, of all places, and some of the things I find still have tags attached.)

The Club Monaco flagship on 5th Ave (around 20th St) always has silk blouses on sale, and they are not too voluminous at the waist. When in CA, I stock up on blouses at the BCBG and NM Last Call outlets in Milpitas. I definitely recommend silk over synthetics, just because it breathes better and has a softer hand. Also, a lot of silk is hand washable, so don't automatically assume it has to be dry cleaned. I also like J Crew silk blouses, and for a less expensive option (esp. on sale), Zara.

As for shoes, I would probably not go much higher than 3" for an interview, at least for a legal job. When I worked in fashion, 4"+ was fine. I usually wore structured dresses and didn't own a suit, because no one wore them. How things have changed! I recommend heading to Loehmann's for simple black pumps that won't break the bank.

(I also shop on eBay when I have the time or need something specific, but I only recommend this if you are sure you know how a specific designer runs, and you are buying some item of clothing that is not easily/likely to be knocked off. Knowing what I know from past internships and WE, I would not buy accessories on eBay.)

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 am

This thread is relevant to my interests!! :mrgreen:

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 am

Peace of Mind wrote:Hey girls, I'm very short and skinny and I get all my skirts from BEBE. They have 00 and because much of the time they have spandex in them they fit just fine. I normally have to get them hemmed but sometime i get lucky and because BEBE makes shorter skirts they're fine. I also buy steve madden and guess heels because they are comfortable and not too much $$ :) I'd try there! Unfortunately I cannot wear any bottom from Ann Taylor because they are too big even in the petite section. If anyone can let me know where to find slacks or suit pants in basically a triple zero or smaller I'd appreciate it. :) I've tried everywhere I can think of and no brand makes pants for me... they are all way too long in the crotch and too bog around the waist. too many issues for me to want to take it to a tailor and have them re-make my pants. or should i just buy some and have them ripped apart and put back together by a tailor? lol


I second Bebe, but be careful, because a lot of their stuff is adorable, but can be on the sexy side for the image you want to project. Their sizing does run small, though. Most American women are just a lot bigger, and you will find more variety at the high end of the price range. I know J Crew also purports to carry 00 online.

Theory pants also run teensy, IIRC. I would think a pair in size 00 would do for you, though they will be expensive even at outlet.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Dany » Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:This thread is relevant to my interests!! :mrgreen:

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby forty-two » Mon May 02, 2011 1:03 am

worldtraveler wrote:
forty-two wrote:Does anyone know what stores make good tops for bustier people? I know I'll need to end up tailoring most things anyway, but I can't even see how things are supposed to fit a lot of the time when I'm shopping (I'm pretty thin, but I typically have to get large tops...so I usually just end up swimming in fabric all around my midsection and don't know what it's actually supposed to look like). Sigh, I hate the fact that nothing ever seems to fit me :(


In what size? Simplybe, a British company, makes button downs in different cup sizes but goes from sizes 10-28. I also can't really wear button downs because of my chest size so i just wear a nice camisole or like a silk shell or something.


Won't work for me, but thanks for the tip!! I have some friends who'll def find that useful. And yeah, I'll definitely look for some camisoles and shells with high necklines.

Question, if it's a business casual day at work, would it be fine to just add a cardigan on top instead of a jacket? If so, should I try to match the color to the skirt I'm wearing, or go with a different color or neutral? I'm just wondering because I hear that you can't really match blacks or even grays exactly if the pieces weren't dyed together.
Last edited by forty-two on Mon May 02, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forty-two
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:33 am

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby forty-two » Mon May 02, 2011 1:04 am

Also, I <3 this thread

User avatar
tiniestdancer7
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby tiniestdancer7 » Mon May 02, 2011 1:04 am

the limited sometimes is alright too

User avatar
Peace of Mind
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby Peace of Mind » Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:Hey girls, I'm very short and skinny and I get all my skirts from BEBE. They have 00 and because much of the time they have spandex in them they fit just fine. I normally have to get them hemmed but sometime i get lucky and because BEBE makes shorter skirts they're fine. I also buy steve madden and guess heels because they are comfortable and not too much $$ :) I'd try there! Unfortunately I cannot wear any bottom from Ann Taylor because they are too big even in the petite section. If anyone can let me know where to find slacks or suit pants in basically a triple zero or smaller I'd appreciate it. :) I've tried everywhere I can think of and no brand makes pants for me... they are all way too long in the crotch and too bog around the waist. too many issues for me to want to take it to a tailor and have them re-make my pants. or should i just buy some and have them ripped apart and put back together by a tailor? lol


I second Bebe, but be careful, because a lot of their stuff is adorable, but can be on the sexy side for the image you want to project. Their sizing does run small, though. Most American women are just a lot bigger, and you will find more variety at the high end of the price range. I know J Crew also purports to carry 00 online.

Theory pants also run teensy, IIRC. I would think a pair in size 00 would do for you, though they will be expensive even at outlet.



Thank you!! I'll look into that :)




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: daisrt and 4 guests