suits for OCI (for women)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JFo

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby JFo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:
JFo wrote:
ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:I'm glad to see a thread like this here.

I was wondering where all my fellow tall/thin girls get their suits. I just looked through the Banana Republic and Ann Taylor online tall sections and they both only offered two suits, with only the largest sizes in stock. I've gone through 1L and 2L with only a black pantsuit I got at Macy's that honestly makes me look a little like Frankenstein. The pants are a little short, but the arm length on the jacket is incredibly bad. I recognize I have to step up my game and spend a little money for 3L OCI here but I'm struggling to even find anything I could send to a tailor.

How tall are you/what's your inseam?

I'm just about 5'11 barefoot, with around a 36 inch inseam.

Is there a Tall Girl near you? They carry suits and run extremely long.

Never heard of it. I'm pretty limited to just online ordering or the extremely common department stores, unless I plan out a drive to one of the larger cities/malls around me.

If you have a Limited in a mall near you, they have "long" lengths in most pants that go to a 36 inseam, with about 1 3/4 inches of lengthening space. You can also order online. They're presentable and fairly conservative.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Would these (3.5-inchers) be considered inappropriate for OCI?

JAdore3

Postby JAdore3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Those shoes are perfect with one exception. I would be hesitant to wear a pair of Louboutins or otherwise extremely expensive items (bag/watch/shoes), just in case one of the interviewers is someone who knows something about fashion. Although totally unwarranted, it may give interviewers the impression that you don't really "need" the job since you can afford high fashion. I could be totally off base, but I'd make sure to be extra conservative. Cole Haan and Ann Taylor make some really great interview-appropriate heels.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Bah... so much for using OCI as an excuse to splurge on a pair of heels. So basically, Louboutins would be considered too flashy during any potential SA's as well, and I shouldn't plan on wearing a pair until I lock down a permanent job?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:32 pm

soupisgood wrote:Image

I am in love with those shoes. <333 Louboutins.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:06 am

keg411 wrote:
soupisgood wrote:[img/]http://www.globalimagegrp.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Christian-Louboutin-Prorata-Pump.jpg[/img]

I am in love with those shoes. <333 Louboutins.

Agreed. I've been wanting a pair for ages. I might just get a pair of sensible Stuart Weitzman's instead. I hear they're insanely comfortable, though they are a little higher than I was looking for (4") and patent...

Are 4" heels considered too high for OCI?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:12 am

soupisgood wrote:

Soup - are you looking at mainly Chicago firms or NY? I'm not sure about Chicago, but 4" is the standard heel height for most female BigLaw attorneys I worked with/encountered.

I'm not sure I agree that Louboutins are too flashy for OCI. Most BigLaw attorneys (male and female) will recognize them as designer shoes if they pay attention to your soles. However, they're (1) not running a charity and (2) probably won't even notice your soles.
To the first point, they are going to be looking at a number of factors. They can see your grades/rank and school from your resume. If you're an attractive candidate in that regard, they want to make sure you're hard working and will fit the culture of the firm. They only care about you "needing" the job as it relates to your work ethic. As long as they're confident you can handle the late nights, they're not going to care if you have student loans or not.
As for the second point, I have a pair of 3" Louboutin sling-backs. You can see the red soles if you're looking, but even 3" is a little low to make it obvious. I saw quite a few pairs when I was living/working in NY; typically those that were obvious were 4"+ and/or had a platform. A 3.5" Louboutin pump subtly tells those who are looking but isn't in your face. I most recently worked for the corporate office of a major specialty retailer here in the Midwest where people know labels like Louboutin and Goyard. Only one person (my shoe-obsessed cube neighbor) noticed my Louboutins to the point of calling them out. If anything, the attorneys would only notice as you walk away after they already have a [hopefully] favorable impression of you.

That all said, I have a personal aversion to flashy designer stuff. I don't consider the red Louboutin sole on a classic black pump to be flashy. I do think Louis Vuitton bags with the emblem all over them are flashy. To quote the Suri Cruise burn book, labels go on the inside.

If you're still hesitant to go with the Louboutins at this time or anything over a 3" heel, I recommend looking into these Kenneth Cole pumps. 3" textured black pumps with 925 technology. I have the 4" Silver Belle from when KC first introduced 925, and I have worn them to death. So comfortable. at $138, they're a nice, good shoe to tide you over before the big splurge.

My standard disclaimer: I'm a 0L who has not been through OCI on the applicant side. However, I spent over 3 years in support staff roles at a V50 in NY, the first of which was spent as the secretary to a female partner on the recruiting committee.

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the response, Lwoods!

Oh awesome, so I don't necessarily need to rule out 4" heels then. I'm looking mostly at NY, but if I do end up in a different market (Chicago, somewhere in California), are 4" heels considered a little too out of place?

Something like these (just a hair under 4"):

Also, black heels >>>> nude heels for OCI, yes?

P.S. Those KC's are pretty darn cute; I'll have to check them out the next time I'm shopping

JFo

Postby JFo » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 pm

soupisgood wrote:Thanks for the response, Lwoods!

Oh awesome, so I don't necessarily need to rule out 4" heels then. I'm looking mostly at NY, but if I do end up in a different market (Chicago, somewhere in California), are 4" heels considered a little too out of place?

Something like these (just a hair under 4"):

Also, black heels >>>> nude heels for OCI, yes?

P.S. Those KC's are pretty darn cute; I'll have to check them out the next time I'm shopping

I vote black over nude every time.

I really hope 4 inches is okay, especially with a skirt suit...I'm really, really short. :(

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:39 pm

So everyone is talking about how high we can go for shoes...how low can we go? Is a flat (or close to it) ever ok?

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:23 am

jbarl1 wrote:So everyone is talking about how high we can go for shoes...how low can we go? Is a flat (or close to it) ever ok?

It's hard for a flat to not look casual. A kitten heel should be fine, though.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:03 am

jbarl1 wrote:So everyone is talking about how high we can go for shoes...how low can we go? Is a flat (or close to it) ever ok?

I love 4 inch heels, but when wearing them, I'm 6'1" and male attorneys in New York are already fairly short. I was planning on wearing these (LinkRemoved), the black pumps I wore all summer (they don't look scuffed), which are about 2.5 inches and a thicker heel. Do they look a bit matronly though?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:30 am

Lwoods wrote:

Ok great. A foot surgery that came after a sports injury made it difficult for me to wear heels without a lot of pain. I have a few pairs of pointy toe shoes that have small heels that I was planning on. I'm glad those should work out well.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 am

This isn't exactly a suit question, but it's kind of related; I hope that's okay.

Can a hair color be unprofessional if it occurs in nature? I dye my hair a fairly bright copper red. Should I go back to brown for OCI?
Last edited by plenipotentiary on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:07 pm

Lwoods wrote:
soupisgood wrote:

Soup - are you looking at mainly Chicago firms or NY? I'm not sure about Chicago, but 4" is the standard heel height for most female BigLaw attorneys I worked with/encountered.

This is true, but female attorneys who already have jobs get to be riskier in their fashion. There are a LOT of things female attorneys at my SA firm regularly wear that would be totally unacceptable for an interview.

4" heels are noticeably tall to me, and I think to a lot of people. You really don't want your shoes to be noticed, because it's much more likely someone will be thinking "those heels are too tall to look professional" than "I'm so glad she wore really tall heels."

soupisgood

Postby soupisgood » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:17 am

Wool would be considered the best/standard material for skirt suits, yes?

Gerry B

Postby Gerry B » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:44 am

Are shells appropriate for BigLaw interviews or do you think collared shirts are necessary?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:21 am

Lwoods wrote:

Just bought two pairs similar to that. Having never walked in heels before, thought it would the safest bet.

out17

Postby out17 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:47 pm

Gerry B wrote:Are shells appropriate for BigLaw interviews or do you think collared shirts are necessary?

I'd like to know this also. Are collared shirts a must? Can anyone weigh in?

sammacd25

Postby sammacd25 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Last edited by sammacd25 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:39 pm

sammacd25 wrote:I am pre-law but worked at a large law firm this summer and my aunt is a recruiter. Do not wear Louboutins and avoid kitten heels if possible. Two and a half inch plain heels are perfect. Your clothes should not make a statement. A shell is fine. One applicant brought a large LV purse to an interview and it was talked about afterwards. Fine for attorneys working at the firm, but not fine for applicants. Keep jewelry/perfume plain.

I had a question about law school interviews - are hose required?

Hose are absolutely required.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:10 pm

keg411 wrote:
sammacd25 wrote:I am pre-law but worked at a large law firm this summer and my aunt is a recruiter. Do not wear Louboutins and avoid kitten heels if possible. Two and a half inch plain heels are perfect. Your clothes should not make a statement. A shell is fine. One applicant brought a large LV purse to an interview and it was talked about afterwards. Fine for attorneys working at the firm, but not fine for applicants. Keep jewelry/perfume plain.

I had a question about law school interviews - are hose required?

Hose are absolutely required.

+1

expressway

Postby expressway » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:46 pm

I can't find the exact shoe that I have, but they're very similar to these, except that mine don't have that folded-down part. (Maybe how these would look if that were folded up.)

Thoughts on something similar to this? I already own them, can walk in them (big plus for someone not used to higher heels) and are the perfect height for the suit pants I just bought. They're dressy, as well - they're not dull and textured to look casual. On the other hand, if "traditional" heels are a must, I guess I'll have to go shopping!

Gerry B

Postby Gerry B » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:03 am

out17 wrote:
Gerry B wrote:Are shells appropriate for BigLaw interviews or do you think collared shirts are necessary?

I'd like to know this also. Are collared shirts a must? Can anyone weigh in?

I talked to someone at OCS at my school and her advice was that conservative shells that are not see through are appropriate if you planned on keeping your suit jacket buttoned. If you want to wear the jacket open however, you need a collared button down shirt. Colors: light pink, light blue, grey and white.

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 am

Here's a question for you about these fold down, boot-like shoes

How many people do you think will be wearing shoes like this? Not many? That means you will stand out on the basis of your attire.
Do. Not. Do. It.
Wear black, professional shoes, as posted above (and I think that the bit about kitten heels being inappropriate is silly) that will be completely forgettable. Now is not the time to be a daring fashionista.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”