suits for OCI (for women)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JFo

Re: suits for OCI (for women)

Postby JFo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:52 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:Is a chocolate brown/greyish/dark taupe suit ok for OCI?

Yeah...2/3 of those are okay together. I mean:

Brown + grey = dark charcoal.
Brown + dark taupe = darker taupe.
Grey + taupe = 90's Scully.
Brown + grey + dark taupe = ...zombie?

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:58 pm

JFo wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:Is a chocolate brown/greyish/dark taupe suit ok for OCI?

Yeah...2/3 of those are okay together. I mean:

Brown + grey = dark charcoal.
Brown + dark taupe = darker taupe.
Grey + taupe = 90's Scully.
Brown + grey + dark taupe = ...zombie?

haha I wasn't exactly sure how to describe the color. It's a dark taupe, I suppose, more brown than grey.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Dany wrote:Just a 0L so this isn't an OCI opinion, but that color sounds... not good in general.

http://www.anntaylor.com/ann/product/AT ... Color=7068

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:
Dany wrote:Just a 0L so this isn't an OCI opinion, but that color sounds... not good in general.

The cut looks great, but the color doesn't seem interview appropriate.

JFo

Postby JFo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm

I like the cut and color for a non big-law interview, but the fact that it's pinstripes makes it a definite "no" for me in any case.

If I were doing a "big" interview, I wouldn't wear a non-black suit.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:

I like the cut, color and even the pinstripes, but I agree with everyone else that conservative black for interviews is TCR.

skw

Postby skw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:04 pm

I just had the most wonderful experience at White House Black Market. I have never bought anything in this store before and actually have only been inside on a single previous occasion. As I was wandering around the mall depressed that it looked like (yet again) I would have to talk myself into a suit out of the Junior's Department at Belk, I went into WHBM on a whim. I told the clerk what I needed (a conservative black suit in a REALLY small size) and she told me to browse and she would pull things for me. 5 minutes later, she showed me to a fitting room with several beautifully tailored black suit pieces in, wait for it, SIZE 0 and 00!!! Every single thing fit me off the rack, except that I need to hem the pants and they only had the jacket I liked in 0 and I needed 00. The salesperson offered to order it for me and have the jacket delivered to my home free of charge. I walked out of that store with renewed faith in the American shopping experience. I ended up with size 00 black trousers, size 0 black skirt and a soon to arrive size 00 black jacket. The detailing on this suit is beyond anything I could have hoped for. I felt so confident in it. And the best part -- all 3 pieces totaled just under $300.

So, for all you petite ladies, check out WHBM. The suit I bought is not pictured on their website, but I think their stock should be similar from one brick and mortar shop to the next. Good luck to all of you.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:19 pm

skw wrote:I just had the most wonderful experience at White House Black Market. I have never bought anything in this store before and actually have only been inside on a single previous occasion. As I was wandering around the mall depressed that it looked like (yet again) I would have to talk myself into a suit out of the Junior's Department at Belk, I went into WHBM on a whim. I told the clerk what I needed (a conservative black suit in a REALLY small size) and she told me to browse and she would pull things for me. 5 minutes later, she showed me to a fitting room with several beautifully tailored black suit pieces in, wait for it, SIZE 0 and 00!!! Every single thing fit me off the rack, except that I need to hem the pants and they only had the jacket I liked in 0 and I needed 00. The salesperson offered to order it for me and have the jacket delivered to my home free of charge. I walked out of that store with renewed faith in the American shopping experience. I ended up with size 00 black trousers, size 0 black skirt and a soon to arrive size 00 black jacket. The detailing on this suit is beyond anything I could have hoped for. I felt so confident in it. And the best part -- all 3 pieces totaled just under $300.

So, for all you petite ladies, check out WHBM. The suit I bought is not pictured on their website, but I think their stock should be similar from one brick and mortar shop to the next. Good luck to all of you.

Are you really, really tiny or is vanity sizing out of control there?

skw

Postby skw » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:43 pm

5'2" 105lbs. I don't think I'm freakishly tiny. I wear 00 at Bananna and 0 or 00 at Ann Taylor. Most other stores I'm swimming in their clothes. I cannot find a size 2 anywhere that doesn't swallow me. HTH.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Anyone have an opinion on suiting (not blouses) for bustier ladies? Banana Republic jackets *sometimes* fit me, but often either (1) fit me in the bust but are too short, or (2) fit me in the bust but are too big around the rest of my torso.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 pm

eandy wrote:
skw wrote:I just had the most wonderful experience at White House Black Market. I have never bought anything in this store before and actually have only been inside on a single previous occasion. As I was wandering around the mall depressed that it looked like (yet again) I would have to talk myself into a suit out of the Junior's Department at Belk, I went into WHBM on a whim. I told the clerk what I needed (a conservative black suit in a REALLY small size) and she told me to browse and she would pull things for me. 5 minutes later, she showed me to a fitting room with several beautifully tailored black suit pieces in, wait for it, SIZE 0 and 00!!! Every single thing fit me off the rack, except that I need to hem the pants and they only had the jacket I liked in 0 and I needed 00. The salesperson offered to order it for me and have the jacket delivered to my home free of charge. I walked out of that store with renewed faith in the American shopping experience. I ended up with size 00 black trousers, size 0 black skirt and a soon to arrive size 00 black jacket. The detailing on this suit is beyond anything I could have hoped for. I felt so confident in it. And the best part -- all 3 pieces totaled just under $300.

Are you really, really tiny or is vanity sizing out of control there?

They have vanity sizing there, but a 00 is still tiny. Their vanity sizing is probably similar to Ann Taylor.

Anyway, I have always had amazing service from WH|BM. I call it my dangerous store because I know I'll end up spending money if I go in there thanks to their fabulous customer service. For New Yorkers, the staff at the 5th & 19h location is fabulous (unless they've had crazy turnover in the past 14 months).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:28 am

WHBM has and extremely helpful staff and absolutely beautiful clothes... that are completely out of my price range. :(

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:41 am

keg411 wrote:WHBM has and extremely helpful staff and absolutely beautiful clothes... that are completely out of my price range. :(

There are good finds in their clearance. I once got a silver floor length gown for <$50 that I wore to my boss's black tie wedding reception at the Pierre.

(And I just realized I typed "fabulous" twice in my post above... :oops: )

naia81

Postby naia81 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:49 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Anyone have an opinion on suiting (not blouses) for bustier ladies? Banana Republic jackets *sometimes* fit me, but often either (1) fit me in the bust but are too short, or (2) fit me in the bust but are too big around the rest of my torso.

It's not the most upscale line, but I'm really top heavy and I really like Kasper suits as most of the ones I've tried are cut a little narrower in the shoulders, but roomier at the bust. I've found that sticking to their two button jackets helps a lot as well, as single button makes me look like I'm about to go popping out.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:47 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Anyone have an opinion on suiting (not blouses) for bustier ladies? Banana Republic jackets *sometimes* fit me, but often either (1) fit me in the bust but are too short, or (2) fit me in the bust but are too big around the rest of my torso.

I love the Calvin Klein suit I just got at Macy's, and I generally have the same problem. It fits really well.

Sewilcox

Postby Sewilcox » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:35 pm

love this thread!

At what point in lawschool to students typically need a suit? I'm an incoming 1L and am wondering if this is something I will need soon or not for another year or so...

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Sewilcox wrote:love this thread!

At what point in lawschool to students typically need a suit? I'm an incoming 1L and am wondering if this is something I will need soon or not for another year or so...

You will need one for competitions (mock trial and moot court type stuff) and interviews in the spring 1L year.

mths

Postby mths » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm

eandy wrote:
Sewilcox wrote:love this thread!

You will need one for competitions (mock trial and moot court type stuff) and interviews in the spring 1L year.

I used one about a month in for a lawyering presentation. It's better to have one before you start so you don't have to scramble.

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 am

I'm glad to see a thread like this here.

I was wondering where all my fellow tall/thin girls get their suits. I just looked through the Banana Republic and Ann Taylor online tall sections and they both only offered two suits, with only the largest sizes in stock. I've gone through 1L and 2L with only a black pantsuit I got at Macy's that honestly makes me look a little like Frankenstein. The pants are a little short, but the arm length on the jacket is incredibly bad. I recognize I have to step up my game and spend a little money for 3L OCI here but I'm struggling to even find anything I could send to a tailor.

JFo

Postby JFo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:26 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:I'm glad to see a thread like this here.

I was wondering where all my fellow tall/thin girls get their suits. I just looked through the Banana Republic and Ann Taylor online tall sections and they both only offered two suits, with only the largest sizes in stock. I've gone through 1L and 2L with only a black pantsuit I got at Macy's that honestly makes me look a little like Frankenstein. The pants are a little short, but the arm length on the jacket is incredibly bad. I recognize I have to step up my game and spend a little money for 3L OCI here but I'm struggling to even find anything I could send to a tailor.

How tall are you/what's your inseam?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Black skirt suit, black leather heels. What color shell underneath???

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:09 am

Is there a Tall Girl near you? They carry suits and run extremely long.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:58 pm

FYI = Macy's has a lot of suits on clearance right now. I picked up a few today. Tahari and Piccone were $69.99 or $79.99. Almost all their suits were one say for at least 25% off.

out17

Postby out17 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:14 pm

What kind of shirt is everyone wearing? I have a plain, collared white dress shirt...am wondering if something a little less boring would be ok...

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:56 am

JFo wrote:

How tall are you/what's your inseam?

I'm just about 5'11 barefoot, with around a 36 inch inseam.

Is there a Tall Girl near you? They carry suits and run extremely long.

Never heard of it. I'm pretty limited to just online ordering or the extremely common department stores, unless I plan out a drive to one of the larger cities/malls around me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”